Seattle rug shopping question

Old May 31st, 2006, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seattle rug shopping question

OK---it's not actually a travel question, but maybe some of the visitors to our city might be interested in the answers.

My husband and I have decided to buy a nice rug to go under our dining room table. We want a "real" rug (i.e., made by hand of wool) in a simpler design, not the really intricate Persian style. We know it is going to cost $5 to $6 K, or more. I have two very nice smaller ones, made I think in Afghanistan, that I bought a number of years ago at the Bon (of all places). Now Macy's doesn't seem to carry the real ones any more, just machine-made and polypropelene rugs they can sell for a lot less.

So that leaves the rug stores. Somehow I can't bring myself to walk into one of those Pioneer Square 70% off places. Am I wrong to feel that way? Are they reputable businesses? Does anyone have a recommendation for a store that they have purchased from with satisfaction? My husband, by the way, will not consider Pande Cameron; he had a bad experience with them in the past.
Old May 31st, 2006, 12:14 PM

Received 77 Likes on 7 Posts
We've bought virtually all our rugs at auctions. Try www.pacgal.com

Get a book out of the library on how to identify and evaluate oriental rugs - it's fun and interesting.

There are also some great rug galleries in Vancouver, and also a couple in Portland (with no sales tax.)
Old May 31st, 2006, 12:24 PM

A related article appeared in the Seattle Times on May 28: http://archives.seattletimes.nwsourc...&date=20060528
Old May 31st, 2006, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Gardyloo. I'm afraid auctions are even scarier for me than the Pioneer Square rug dealers---I always got caught up in the frenzy and pay too much, or buy something I didn't need. One time I ended up with a Shire draft horse.

The Oregon idea might work, though; the last thing I actually bought at an auction was a weekend in Sunriver, so we'll be going there in July. Not too many rug stores in Bend, I would think, but maybe we could look in Portland on our way through.

I do need to get a book. From what little research I've done through Google, the type we are looking for is a Gabbeh "Kashkuli" style, made in southern Iran.
Old May 31st, 2006, 12:37 PM
mms

Just south of Portland, in the Tigard/Lake Oswego vicinity, is Atiyeh Brothers. They have been around for ages.
Old May 31st, 2006, 12:44 PM

mms, Do you know why Portland is such a great place to shop for home furnishings? htty
Old May 31st, 2006, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

HTTY---articles like the one you posted are the reason I won't go into those stores. I am looking for a reputable dealer that has some history in the community.

I believe that a few years ago Seattle passed a city ordinance saying that once a place advertises that it is "going out of business", they have 6 months to do so, or face fines.
Old May 31st, 2006, 01:30 PM

A couple of years ago, I was in Greenbaum's in Bellevue, and they had a very good Persian collection with a quite knowledgeable buyer. It is a very professional type store and not at all scary.

Greenbaum's is just off of I-405 at the SE 8th Exit, I believe (just west of the highway. You can see it from I-405).
Old May 31st, 2006, 02:37 PM

For decades I walked past a store named Pande-Cameron at 815 Pine Street. I just learned that they have been doing business in Seattle since 1924, and that they recently moved to 333 Westlake Avenue North. This may be the kind of reputable dealer you are looking for: www.pande-cameron.com
Old May 31st, 2006, 02:41 PM

Sorry. I just read that your husband had a bad experience with Pande Cameron; however, before writing the foregoing, I checked with the Better Bussiness Bureau and find that they have no unresolved complaints. Maybe, while your husband is otherwise engaged, you can sneak out see if Pande Cameron will do better by you than by your spouse.
Old May 31st, 2006, 03:01 PM
mms

Happytrails--I had never thought about that before. But in looking at all the places we have lived, you are right, for some reason the shopping is pretty good here, lol!

Enzian--I had another thought. Several years ago we purchased a very nice rug through Ethan Allen. Of course they have stores up your direction, but there is one about 1/4 mile from the Atiyeh Bros. that I mentioned, and of course no tax down here. You could make a trip down and check a few places. Ethan Allen and Atiyeh Bros. are literally just on opposite sides of I-5 and pretty much look right at each other.
Old May 31st, 2006, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Oh, no---I'm afraid we haven't been married long enough for me to do that. I guess I should just ask him what the problem was. All I know is. . . the ex got the rug.

I did some more Googling on my lunch hour and found Driscoll Robbins on Western, and realized that must be the place with the rugs I've admired in the window---gorgeous colors in more modern designs than the traditional Persian carpets. They've been in business since '98 or so, and were featured in Sunset in 2004. Maybe we'll have a look there. . .

I guess it's a good thing we're not doing a Europe trip this year. Two weeks of camping instead (in Yosemite and Utah) will just about pay for the rug. . .
Old May 31st, 2006, 03:26 PM

Received 77 Likes on 7 Posts
We visited Pande Cameron's Bellevue store a couple months ago and found that they had some very nice rugs on the sale rack. No pressure and quite nice experience.

Also don't know if you like Arts & Crafts/Craftsman/Art Nouveau rugs but if so there's a cool shop in Snohomish that sells some dandy rugs - prices less than comparable Pakistani or Indian orientals - with very handsome patterns. Google "bungalow snohomish" and you'll find the place.
Old May 31st, 2006, 04:38 PM

Now I understand. If my ex ended up with a beautiful rug from Pande Cameron, I would probably shun the store too--for bad karma.

Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Gardyloo---the Snohomish bungalow looks like they might have the one (and they have some Oriental carpets too, it seems). I'll see about running up there this weekend. Thanks for the suggestion.

BTW, Gardyloo---are you a former Alaskan? I saw you mention "termination dust" on another thread (about visiting Denali in September). I haven't heard that term since I left Fairbanks . . . way long ago!
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 01:32 PM
mms

enzian--If you go to Snohomish, allow a bit of extra time. The downtown is small, but there are some neat shops t owander through.