Seattle restaurant casual and relaxed

Apr 28th, 2005, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Seattle restaurant casual and relaxed

We will be in Seattle on a Friday night in early August with our twelve year old. She has a pretty sophisticated palate BUT we're all tired of the stuffy, pretentious restaurant scene - even the places with GREAT food! Could someone recommend someplace casual, relaxed, and good within walking distance of the Westin? Right now we have reservations at Dahlia Lounge but the menu looks kind of "fru-fru"...
Apr 28th, 2005, 09:30 AM

In Pike Market is Matts in the Market. It's plenty casual and good honest food. Dahlia lounge is not all that frou frou but Matt's is far more casual.
Apr 28th, 2005, 09:50 AM
E

We really liked The Pink Door--not sure of its proximity to the Westin, though. It's cozy, the service is friendly,and the food is great (Italian-ish). My only caveat would be that it was very date-night in there on a Saturday--but your daughter is no toddler, so I think it would be fine. Enjoy your trip!
Apr 28th, 2005, 10:18 AM

The Pink Door came to my mind too; it's on Post Alley in the Market, only designation is a... Pink Door (duh.) They have a wonderful rooftop terrace that's great on summer evenings, albeit often crowded. Maybe a 10 min. walk from the Westin.

Matt's is also good but not especially cheap; or you could walk down the hill to the waterfront and go to the Bell Street Diner (waterfront seafood) or our favorite place on the waterfront, Elliott's Oyster House, although both are a bit longer walk from the Westin (maybe 20 min.)

Assagio is a great Italian place close to the Westin, or if you're really hungry you could go to the Todai Japanese buffet (sushi, other Japanese/Asian) at the Pacific Place center, a couple of blocks from the hotel. Sleep it off in one of the movies upstairs. Or there's always the Cheesecake Factory for the usual grossout factor.

My personal judgement (worth what you're paying for it) is that Tom Douglas' places, (Dahlia et al) while good, are not worthy of the hype, nor the tab.

All Seattle restaurants are casual. Relaxed is up to you.
Apr 28th, 2005, 10:38 AM

MOstly, I agree with Gordyloo re casual (and relaxed!)though there are a few places (Canlis comes to mind as well as Georgian Room) that are a bit more formal. Seattle doesn't do stuffy and pretentious very well!
Apr 28th, 2005, 11:36 AM

Assagio's Italian is one of my favorites! I also like Etta's Seafood. Or maybe Cutter's (both at the north end of the Market)? Cutter's is somewhat touristy/business but has a great dining room, fantastic water view and large menu, most done pretty nicely in my experience.

Pink Door is a fun suggestion, though I haven't been there in awhile myself to comment on the food/atmosphere. They do have a wonderful patio deck with a view.
Apr 28th, 2005, 11:58 AM

There is a 6th avenue inn close to Westin, I believe, or maybe confusing Westin with another hotel? Anyway, this Inn has a restaurant accessible from the street - very relaxed place, good food.
Apr 28th, 2005, 12:33 PM

I believe you might be thinking of the Warwick, Faina. That's closest major hotel to the 6th Avenue Inn (but not so close to the Westin).
Apr 28th, 2005, 12:36 PM

We absolutely LOVED Etta's Seafood - we were there for brunch, and lemme tell ya, they made the best Bloody Mary we ever had! It really was a friendly, relaxed , delightful and delicious experience overall, and we will definitely go back there next time we're in Seattle!
Apr 28th, 2005, 12:39 PM

The Icon Grill right by the Westin is a great place to eat. It's a nice restaurant, with lots of Chihuly glass, but the menu is very un "fru fru". They have great mac and cheese and fried chicken. The only drawback is that you're going in August and they don't have outside seating, if that's something you want.
Apr 28th, 2005, 01:11 PM

Suze, I was not sure, so I just looked it up - Westin is closer to 6th Ave Inn then Warwik. Here is the link to the bar and grill

http://www.sixthavenueinn.com/pages/bar.html
Apr 28th, 2005, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Looking at the menus, I'd say the Icon Grill looks great! Much more variety than Dahlia Lounge, and the website makes it look like a fun atmosphere. The Sixth Ave. Inn has a great breakfast menu! I'm wondering if we should head to the Market for breakfast though, since we only have one day in Seattle.
Apr 28th, 2005, 03:39 PM

Right you are Faina! I drive by (6th Ave Inn & Warwick) on the way to work every day, didn't realize the Westin is just one street over.

Icon Grille does have a fun atmosphere and closer to your hotel than some of the other suggestions.

Tough choices with only 1 day. I guess I'd probably go down to the Market for breakfast.

Apr 28th, 2005, 03:58 PM

Etta's is exactly what I would recommend

1) Tom Douglas restaurant

2) near the market- fun to walk thru before they close at 6pm

3) named after tom's daughter

4) kids stuff on the menu/ but you still get things that they serve at Dahlia

5) Triple Coconut Cream Cake

Apr 28th, 2005, 04:29 PM

We had a nice dinner at the Dahlia Lounge with our teenage daughter. She didn't care for anything on the menu so they made her a hamburger that she was very pleased with.

I had the crab cakes which were very, very good and the desserts were also wonderful. I wouldn't call it stuffy, just kind of classic Seattle type place. ***kim***
Apr 28th, 2005, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the great suggestions. What prompted my e-mail was a recent experience here in our town. We met friends at Caper's - a wonderful upscale restaurant here. There were really just about eight entrees featured, and everything was braised or glazed or stuffed - you know, all the things we adults like. My daughter loves a variety of seafoods and other things, but she likes them prepared simply. She finally settled on a chicken breast, only to find it had been stuffed with bleu cheese! I traded her my halibut which was a little less complicated. I like everything so I guess I forget sometimes to seek out a more varied menu. It looks like places like Icon Grill have a lot of options whereas the Tom Douglas places look a little more "Capery". LOL

Any great breakfast spots in the Market? Even some great donuts would please me...
Apr 28th, 2005, 04:51 PM

If you're Sleepless, then the Athenian in the market is a classic even if you don't look like Tom Hanks.
Apr 28th, 2005, 04:51 PM

... that's for breakfast.
Apr 28th, 2005, 05:15 PM

Just stroll thru The Market. There's a great crepe stand, and right next to it a place where you watch them make the donuts! (across from the entrance of Delaurenti's italian market).
Apr 28th, 2005, 05:29 PM

You have gotten some great suggestions, but I would like to add Il Fornaio, which is very near the Westin and which does a great job in a casual, relaxed, but sophisticated setting. Among the amazing values on the menu are calamari, pizza Christina, and the exquisite antipasto. Il Fornaio is an up-scale chain with restaurants in San Francisco, Las Vegas, and elsewhere, but it doesn't feel like a chain when dining there.

The Icon Grill has a fun decor, and it has apparently found a following. However, on my visits I've felt the food was overpriced.

If you're into donuts, check out the Top Pot which is on 5th Avenue not far from the Westin. It is THE place for that sort of thing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO