Seattle/Pacific NW in 6 nights

Aug 4th, 2005, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Seattle/Pacific NW in 6 nights

My husband and I are flying to Seattle on Sept 8 to see a show in Everett on the 9th. We'd like to stay 6 nights total and I need guidance on what is a good itinerary. Not much of a hiker or sports enthusiast, but we like scenic drives. I was thinking first two nights in Seattle, then two nights each at two different locations, then home. What would someone suggest as an itinerary? I don't want to rush around too much, but just a nice hotel in Seattle, then maybe two other locations with nice properties and gorgeous drives in between. Need to book soon!
Aug 4th, 2005, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Okay, I just found a Budget Travel article I thought I'd lost. It recommended Seattle to Winthrop, overnight Winthrop, then on to Yakima, overnight Yakima, then Mount Rainier, overnight Paradise Inn or National Park Inn, then back to Seattle. That's only three nights, I guess we could add an extra night in there. Winthrop?

Or I could gain another night by only doing one night in Seattle? Could I drive from Mount Rainier to airport on the day of my flight out?
Aug 4th, 2005, 11:06 AM
mms

A few great places for scenic drives are Whidbey Island (do a loop over Deception Pass then take the ferry back to Mukilteo), Mt. Rainier, and over to Leavenworth on Hwy 2 (most scenic route). Winthrop would be nice too, but it depends on how much driving you want to do. Yakima...well, I have lived there and personally cannot stand it. Granted, that is just my opinion, but I think there are too many other beautiful places in WA and so would not recommend it.

Depending on what time you finish up in Everett, you may want to head out from there instead of going back to Seattle.
Aug 4th, 2005, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

I didn't even see hwy 2, that looks like a nice drive. Is Whidbey island a nice place to stay, or is it just a drive-through? If it is nice to stay there, does the ferry run late at night? (like after the concert in Everett?).

I'm thinking the Budget Travel itinerary has 3 or more hours driving each day. That's a lot.

As an alternative, could we stitch together ferry trips from Mulkiteo to Clinton, see Whidbey Island, then from Admiralty Bay to Port Townsend? Then we could do ONP, and maybe this would be more relaxing than the inland idea. Can you get to Victoria island from Olympic peninsula? Or am I adding too much... I am also assuming these are all car ferries, yes? The husband might like this trip better, he just now told me he's not wild about going to a big national park on this trip (don't know what he thinks he's in for, but I think his parents dragged him around to too many campgrounds as a kid, needs therapy or something, probably .
Aug 4th, 2005, 11:47 AM

You can get to Victoria from Port Angeles which would be a good place to stay one night. This would be a more relaxing itinerary than your previous post. We love Winthrop and don't mind making the trek, but we stay there for at least two nights when we go. We have also added a night in Chelan or Leavenworth to break it up even more. Enjoy your visit which ever direction you go.
Aug 4th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Wow. There are a lot of choices for this area! I'm trying to figure out a way to "have it all" with both water and land vistas! From the airport, could we drive via 90 and 97 out to Leavenworth. Spend night. Then drive route 2 to Everett. See concert and spend night near here. Then ferry to Whidbey island, then ?? Can't figure out which islands rate a visit, and think maybe we end up with a night in Port Angeles and then back to airport? 6 nights in all is my plan.

Sorry for all the rambling posts. Appreciate the help so far!!
Aug 4th, 2005, 01:59 PM
mms

I like your idea of heading to Leavenworth, then coming back on Hwy 2 in time for the concert. What time does the concert let out? The ferries do not run all night, and their schedules vary according to weekends and time of year. The ferry website is www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries. That will probably answer a lot of questions for you.

Whidbey is a nice place to stay, as well as drive thru. Look at the Captain Whidbey Inn, or around Coupeville or Langely.

If you decide to stay in Leavenworth, there are many, many wonderful little places to stay. One of our favorites is the Pension Anna (www.persionanna.com) which is right in downtown and walkable to everything, yet enough on the edge that it is quiet at night. The owners are fantastic and will make sure your stay is enjoyable.
Aug 4th, 2005, 03:58 PM

We are staying at the Inn at Langley later this month, I'll try to remember to post back. i would also suggest staying west. Not to nag on Yakima but unless you are going to go even farther east for the wine country I'd say skip it.

by the way you can head 30 minutes out of seattle to Woodinville, stay at the Willows Lodge and tour the wineries. We just stayed there last weekend and it is wonderful. Restaurants the Herb Farm and Barking Frog are very nice.
Aug 4th, 2005, 04:13 PM

Make sure you stop at exit 39 on highway 2 and walk down (very short walk) to see the waterfalls. They are awesome. You can go a bit further down for a short hike, which is also nice.

There's no way you're going to "do it all" in 6 nights--I've been living here for over 14 years now and haven't begun to do half of it.

Are you going to the Santana concert? I know he's going to be in Everett, but forgot when...I was thinking of going, but we might be at the beach that week.

Another easy, fun place would be to take a ferry to Bainbridge Island and drive around there.

Also, Mt. Baker is not far away and is very scenic.

Hope you have a great time.
Aug 4th, 2005, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

I am interested in touring wineries, which was why I thought Yakima valley, originally. But I think it may be too far out of the way.

The concert is Oasis, Jet and Kasabian, btw.

Thanks for all the posts! More thoughts welcome, for sure.
Aug 5th, 2005, 07:07 AM

I liked the Budget Travel itinerary (read it when it came out) or maybe some parts of it? It is absolutely gorgeous out that way (Winthrop, Mazama, etc.)

I'd definitely skip Yakima and do winery stuff in the Woodinville area closer to town.

Whidbey Island is nice for an overnight but not spectacular like some of the other options. I like Captain Whidbey Inn but I don't know about late ferries, etc. seems like a hassle if even possible after your concert.

It's about 2 hours from Rainier back into town as far as your question about getting to SeaTac.

Like Artlover above my thought is "I've lived here 20+ years now and haven't seen the half of it!"
Aug 5th, 2005, 08:27 AM

Here is a site with winery info for Woodinville, there are maps you can print off. not all wineries are open all the time but you can call and set up a time to come by and taste. others have hours.

www.woodinvillewinecountry.com/wwc.php
Aug 5th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Well, the Budge Travel article is what made me want to come in the first place! I can't really figure out how to do the inland mountain stuff and get out to an island or Victoria or ONP. That looks like another trip to me! Am I right? So here's what I have so far, thanks to all your help. I need help knowing how long to stay in each place, which deserve 1 night or 2, etc. Is Rainier a must-see, and is one night enough?

Okay, so how does this sound:
Night 1: See concert, stay near Everett (Whidby/Langley might be too much hassle, but the ferry does run til 2 am, concert should be out at 11 pm)
Night 2-3: Winthrop
Night 4-5: Leavenworth
Night 6: Rainier
Back to airport

or

Night 1, 2: Seattle city option (stay somewhere convenient to hwy, zip up and back for concert)
Night 3: Winthrop
Night 4: Leavenworth
Night 5: Rainier
Night 6: Woodinville or Snoqualmie Falls?
Back to airport
Aug 5th, 2005, 04:10 PM

OK for what it's worth here's my take on it...

I *love* the Wintrop, Leavenworth, Mazama area and personally think it is the most "dramatic" of what's on your list. It is absolutely drop dead gorgeous country out that way. Stunningly beautiful.

If Mt. Rainier is "out" (i.e., the weather is clear) you can see it from Seattle. I think that's as dramatic visually as when you go down and hike up on it.

I'm not a big fan of the rain forest so skipping that would be no great loss. Been once and that was enough. I have similar feelings about Victoria (too darn cute).

Either Woodinville, stopping at one of the wineries, and/or one of the excellent restaurants in the area would be very nice or alternately Snoqualmie Falls with a meal or a visit to the spa at Salish Lodge would fun too.

Personally I'd skip Seattle city activities in favor of having more time for your touring.

So funny you mentioned that Budget Travel article, it really peaked my interest. Even living right here in Seattle, it made me say... "ROAD TRIP"!
Aug 8th, 2005, 08:16 PM
Original Poster

Okay, I think I have my itinerary complete.

Everett, Winthrop, Leavenworth, Woodinville.

I can stay 2 nights in one place. I'm wondering if that should be Winthrop or Leavenworth? Which deserves more time?
Aug 9th, 2005, 06:16 AM
mms

Definitely not Everett or Woodinville. They are basically jsut suburbs, and although Woodinville is nicer of the two, I still would not pick either. Winthrop or Leavenworth would be a close tie, but I personally lean towards Leavenworth. It is a town/area that we visit often. The town itself is interesting, but the surrounding area is just beautiful. I am not saying Winthrop isn't, but I just know Leavenworth better and really like it.

Search this Thread