Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Seattle: Nordstrom Downtown, What's It Like?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 08:19 AM
Tina

I'll be in Seattle for a couple days on business and am wondering if I should make an effort to go to the Nordstrom downtown.
That's the original store, correct?
Is it bigger/better than their other stores, or nothing special?
Larger inventory?
Thanks for any opinions.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 08:30 AM
Jessica

Smaller, more upscale inventory. Across from a nice newer upscale mall. It's a nice store, but less choices than the suburban ones. Don't forget that there's a high sales tax in Seattle so things will be more expensive depending on where you're coming from.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 08:59 AM
John

Actually I believe the Nordstrom store in downtown Seattle is one of their larger places. The building was formerly the HQ of a now-defunct department store, Frederick & Nelson (home of Frango mints) that was acquired by Nordies after sitting vacant for a time; the "original" Nordstrom store had been badly remuddled over the years and didn't have enough room for all the Ralph Lauren gear that Nordies wanted to flog.

The old Frederick's was nicely remodeled by Nordstrom, but the lines it carries are not very different from the lines you'd find in other locations, although there may be regional differences of course. It's worth a walkthrough.

BTW, the "original" Nordtrom (pre Nordstrom-Best and other incarnations) was a small shoe shop, located elsewhere.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 09:32 AM
oaklander

I love downtown Seattle. I think the biggest Nordstrom Locations are in San Francisco, Costa Mesa and Paramus, NJ-This was a while ago. Thats what one of the sales people told me. Anyway, Its a beutiful city center.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 09:53 AM
Tina

Thanks for the info.
I was last in Seattle in 1986 and I thought I recalled Nordstrom (which I wasn't familiar with at the time, being from the east coast) being in a large older building.
Sounds like what John was describing.
The nation's better department stores all seem to be declining (or is it just me?).

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 09:57 AM
xxx

It's no big deal. I much prefer shopping at Costa Mesa when I get down to Southern California.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 10:03 AM
Nothing

There used to be a Nordstrom Rack in downtown Seattle. That's where I'd head for great shopping!

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 10:12 AM
Wendy

Nordstrom actually originated in Seattle but as John said as a shoe store only at first. The Nordstrom's still own/operate the company and are also quite the philanthrapists (sp?) in Seattle.

The downtown store is nice and is also connected by a covered walkway to Pacific Place which is a beuatiful upscale mall.

Have fun while your in town. Not sure where you are from but the downtown shopping here is good all around and there are very large Kenneth Cole, Banana Republic, Ann Taylor, Gap, Nike and Addidas stores also.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 11:28 AM
Melina

I found it to be small (kind of like Santa Barbara's store). Upscale, but limited selection.

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 09:47 PM
Cali

I live in Southern CA and am not far from the Nordstroms at South Coast Plaza and several other Nordstroms out here and surprisingly, I like the one at Mall of America and the one at Somerset Mall in Troy MI the best. They both have some really neat things that I don't always find out here and I was surprised to find lots more dressy dresses at those two stores when looking for a dress for a very formal event. I also have to say the Nordstroms in Kansas City is quite good too. Have found the best St. John Knits, etc. at the Mall of America and Kansas City Stores - some I never see out here.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 03:40 AM
kk

I beetled into the downtown Seattle Nordstrom's in the mid 90s, so excited. Well, other than the shoe department, I was seriously disappointed. The much vaunted customer service was nowhere to be seen, either!
On the phone, they shine. Their shoe department is still wonderous.
That particular store you asked about...big yawn.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 04:46 AM
BTilke

I found the service at the downtown Portland (OR) Nordstrom to be much better than downtown Seattle branch (service at the Portland Saks across the street from Nordstrom is outstanding too).

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 07:01 AM
Diane

Cali, interestin that I've been to all the Norstrom stores you mentioned.
I particularly like the Mall of America store as well.
Try the new one on Michigan Avenue in Chicago. Not as pleasant as MOA atmosphere-wise, but nice selection, especially cold weather clothing (which you don't need, I guess).