Seattle Locals - I need your help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2006, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I will spending 24 hours in Seattle in mid-June (a late Thursday afternoon to late Friday afternoon) and then have to race to Portland for a wedding. We know that this is not a fraction of enough time to do your city justice, but it is all the time we have. I do have a couple of questions and I was hoping some of you locals could help me out! It would be greatly appreciated!

1) From what I have read on here, it appears that most of you locals would consider there to be better seafood restaurants out there, but my wife and I really want to try one of Tom Doouglas's restaurants for dinner: either Dahlia Lounge or Etta's Seafood. Which would you recommend and why?

2) Since we have limited time, we wanted to get a head start on sightseeing and had planned to walk around the downtown area before dinner. We are staying at the Hotel Monaco and wanted to check out the shopping district around Pine Street and the Space Needle/Seattle Center area and the Pioneer Square area (we would visit Pike Place market in the morning when it is open). Is it safe to walk around from our hotel to all of these areas at night or would we be better off driving around or taking a cab?

3) Lastly, since time is limited, would one of those 3 hour morning tours be a good idea (Seattle City Tours or Gray Line) or should we just explore the downtown area ourselves? The pros are it would be a no-hassle way to see the other neighborhoods, but the cons are we would have to see what they want us to see and for how long they want us to see it.

Any help to the above questions would be much appreciated! Thanks!
Old May 29th, 2006, 07:13 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
1) From what I have read on here, it appears that most of you locals would consider there to be better seafood restaurants out there, but my wife and I really want to try one of Tom Doouglas's restaurants for dinner: either Dahlia Lounge or Etta's Seafood. Which would you recommend and why?

For fish, Etta's. Better location too.

2) Since we have limited time, we wanted to get a head start on sightseeing and had planned to walk around the downtown area before dinner. We are staying at the Hotel Monaco and wanted to check out the shopping district around Pine Street and the Space Needle/Seattle Center area and the Pioneer Square area (we would visit Pike Place market in the morning when it is open). Is it safe to walk around from our hotel to all of these areas at night or would we be better off driving around or taking a cab?

The Space Needle/Seattle Center area is a bit of a schlep from the commercial core and with your limited time not worth the effort IMO. Walking from the Monaco to the retail core is no problem - about 5 min. Pioneer Square is the opposite direction from the Monaco. Things are quite safe, although there are a couple of areas on the fringe of Pioneer Square that are a tad unsavory - but if your city radar is functioning at all you'll figure it out for yourselves. That said, if the PM involves dinner at Etta's (Pike Market) and some prowling around the shops, I don't think you'll have a ton of time for Pioneer Square or Seattle Center anyway.

3) Lastly, since time is limited, would one of those 3 hour morning tours be a good idea (Seattle City Tours or Gray Line) or should we just explore the downtown area ourselves? The pros are it would be a no-hassle way to see the other neighborhoods, but the cons are we would have to see what they want us to see and for how long they want us to see it.

Frankly, I'd skip the tour and hit the market bright and early, then head down the steps to the waterfront and ride as a foot passenger on the Bainbridge Island ferry and back. When you get off the ferry you're in Pioneer Square for all intents and purposes, so you can walk around then. Or head up to Uwajimaya Village (10 min. walk from the ferry) and visit their food court for lunch, and play "Name that Vegetable" in the produce section of the wonderful pan-Asian supermarket. www.uwajimaya.com

As a note, while breakfast at the Market is a great experience, it's also not too shabby at the restaurant in the Monaco, Sazerac. (I am not a big Tom Douglas fan personally so would actually suggest Sazerac for dinner, but I'll respect your wife's preferences and not do that.)

Old May 29th, 2006, 07:31 PM

Gardy's give great advice. Here are a couple of other notes. I would say that it's worth going up in the Space Needle if it's a nice day. The view is terrific. Also, Dahlia is a better couples restaurant, a bit more romantic than Etta's. Gardy is right that Etta's has more of a seafood focus. Just depends on what you want.
Old May 29th, 2006, 08:51 PM

My vote between the two restaurants would be for Etta's, though I don't think either of them are all that great (good but not great).

Hope you get sunshine and have a great time!
Old May 29th, 2006, 10:29 PM

I liked Dahlia Lounge better than Etta's (but perhaps I didn't order well), and personally preferred Lola over the two. But for sight seeing, Etta's will be best located.

I'd skip the Space Needle unless you want to visit the EMP. Instead, if you want to check out Pioneer Square, just visit the top of Smith Tower while you're there. Also has stunning views, much less crowded and less $$, and convenient to Pioneer Square (where as Seattle Center is kind of on its own).

I'd also skip the tours and just check out the areas you are interested in. With your time, you'll really just be skimming the surface as is.
Old May 30th, 2006, 06:45 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Etta's Seafood.... because it is one of my favorite restaurants in the city. I eat lunch there often as my office is nearby. IMO it's one of those restaurants that just "get's it right" - is consistent with excellent food and professional but not snooty service.
Old May 30th, 2006, 09:18 AM

Etta's is a big favorite, but we have several good seafood restaurants, including Elliots, Flying Fish, The Waterfront, McCormick & Schmick's Harborside, and Fish Club.
Old May 30th, 2006, 09:36 AM

Our posters wants specifically to try a Tom Douglas restaurant... so Lola's, Palace Kitchen, Dalia Lounge, or Etta's (I believe that's the current 4?).
Old May 30th, 2006, 09:43 AM

Maybe they'd like to eat lunch while they're in town.
Old May 30th, 2006, 12:44 PM

I think Gardyloo gave good advice, and I'll just second the comment that the Seattle Center area shouldn't be a priority unless it's a clear day and you want to go up the Space Needle. Pioneer Square or a ferry ride are a better use of time. I doubt a Grayline tour actually goes to any of our interesting neighborhoods. If you have a car, I would suggest a visit to the Ballard Locks, and the Locks are close to Golden Gardens, one of the city's most popular beach parks (if it's a nice day and you want something "local" to do).
Old May 31st, 2006, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the great insight! It is hard to be a tourist and skip the Space Needle, but we will resist the temptation given our limited time. The ferry sounds wonderful. Any other things downtown that we should not miss besides the Market and Pioneer Square? I am assuming Uwajimaya is in the Chinatown area?
Old May 31st, 2006, 05:54 AM

<Uwajimaya is in the Chinatown area?>
Yes

<Is it safe to walk around from our hotel to all of these areas at night>
Yes

I wouldn't skip the Space Needle unless it is really bad weather. It doesn't take much time and is a Seattle icon not to mention kind of kooky and a spectacular view. Shouldn't be crowded on a weekday.

Old May 31st, 2006, 09:59 AM

Regarding safety at night for walking.

Seattle is, compared to many if not most cities of comparable size, a safe place to explore at almost any time of day that the average person would likely be awake. That said, Seattle *is* a city, and it should be mentioned that there are 'pockets' where extra caution is warranted. Not that any of these areas are extraordinarly dangerous at all, but more that the regular hangers-out in these areas could raise a stroller's anxiety level a bit. Specifically:

For the market area at night, I'd avoid the Pike Street corridor between First and Third Avenues. Pine or Stewart Street will get you to the market, and are in general a little less scary to walk thru.

For Pioneer Square, the Square itself (a shaded, cobblestoned park) usually has a small crowd of homeless types -- more scruffy than dangerous. The main streets (First Avenue, Jackson Street), especially when the stores are open, are just fine.

Oddly, the International District ("Chinatown") looks scary to some folks all the time. The ID has never been 'theme-parked', and looks like a place where real people actually live and work, complete with grime, traffic and cigarette butts. But the ID is likely to be one of the safer places to stroll and explore in the city. The downside is that, except for restaurants and Uwajimaya, the shops tend to close early-ish.

Enjoy your visit.

Fritzl
Old May 31st, 2006, 11:46 AM

Good observations from Fritzl.

I'll add there are unfortunately an awful lot of homeless people on the streets of downtown these days that might appear unsettling to visitors.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

I do appreciate all the good tips and advice. I am sure we will have a great time in Seattle!
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 09:50 AM

No one ever mentions Oceanaire for seafood, and I suppose this is because it's not local. Regardless, they have outstanding seafood and great service. If you're looking for a romantic experience, request one of their half-moon booths.

I second (or third?) the recommendation to take the ferry to Bainbridge. Bainbridge has some cute shops in the small city core, and the view from the ferry is beautiful in both directions.
Old Jun 8th, 2006, 06:31 PM
cindiloowho

Lived here all my life, never felt threatened. But with such limited time, Iwould explore the waterfront, the market, and maybe the Seattle Art Museum (downtown) where they have an absolutely magnificant display of jade, among other things. Then, if you have time, walk to the ferry terminal and take a ferry ride.

Old Jun 9th, 2006, 01:32 PM

Just an added note to prior post, the Seattle Art Museum is currently closed due to expansion ongoing. The Seattle Asian Art Museum remains open, however, and the Frye Art Museum is another site to consider.

Enjoy your visit, and hope you have good weather, too.....