Seattle itinerary review

Search

Seattle itinerary review

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2012, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seattle itinerary review

I'm heading to Seattle this weekend and wondering if people could review my itinerary? I'm struggling a bit with how long things will take and how to get from place to place, especially as I'm staying in Lake Union and I'm quite confused by the bus/trolly/street car system.

Friday:
Arrive SEA around 12:30 pm.
Take trolly from airport to Westlake Mall and transfer on street car to Residence Inn Lake Union. About an hour.
Quickly unpack/settle in and hopefully somehow get to Columbia Center to catch the tower before closing? I'm hoping I can take the hotel shuttle there.
Central Library, open until 6
Seattle Art Museum, open until 9 pm for Van Gogh exhibition and other art (how long should I spend here)
Dinner somewhere late? Purple Cafe?

(Is this day too packed?)

Saturday:
Hotel shuttle to Pike Market
Wander around for a while. Have lunch at Cafe Campagne or Le Pichet?
Walk though waterfront area
Pioneer Square and Smith Tower unless I've already done the Columbia Center
Frye Art Museum, open until 5 (how should I get from downtown to there ...)
Somehow get back to Capitol Hill area for earlish dinner and visiting a gay bar. Any tips? Maybe like Elite or the Lobby
Get back to Lake Union

Sunday:
shuttle to Olympic Sculpture Park
Walk to Space Needle area. Probably won't go up
Ferry to Bainbridge Island and back? How much time do I need there? What do I need to do there?
Something else? U-W? or Seattle Art Museum if I didn't do it Friday?
Early dinner? Aiki? Bluewater Bistro if it's near my hotel? Kells back at the Market?
Back to hotel and then airport for 8:30 pm flight back.

I'm worried that Friday seems too crowded and Sunday too open?

Any good bars with a view or happy hour spots, maybe especially in Capitol Hill? What about like the W Bar or The Bookstore Bar?

Finally, any big commercial areas if I wanted to get some shopping in?

Thanks, guys!
Old Feb 15th, 2012, 06:24 PM

You are creating unnecessary problems for yourself by staying at Lake Union. Everything about your itinerary suggests you should stay down town.

You can find public transport information here: http://metro.kingcounty.gov/

You don't need to spend time on Bainbridge Island unless you want to eat a meal there.

The Seattle Gay News is a weekly newspaper that probably has information about gay bars. A neighbor told me that he likes The Cuff.

Capitol Hill bars are an easy and fairly interesting walk from the Frye Art Museum.

If you walk up Pike Street on Capitol Hill you will find a good variety of casual and popular restaurants: Boom, Barrio, Plum, etc.

There is no need to go to go to hard-to-get-to Alki for a meal.

I cannot advise you on any of the restaurants or bars you mention except for Bluewater Bistro. I liked it when it first opened, but not when I ate there last. They may have corrected their evil ways; I don't know.

HTTY
Old Feb 15th, 2012, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Unfortunately I am already booked into the LU hotel as I am using free hotel nights that are only valid in certain categories. Sorry. I have heard about the Cuff but the name suggested it was a bit, um, rough. Maybe I'm wrong!
Old Feb 15th, 2012, 07:08 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Couple of things...

First, it's a Gauguin exhibit at SAM, not Van Gogh. You'll need tickets in advance - http://www.seattleartmuseum.org/gauguin/

Second, depending on your luggage situation, I'd allow closer to 90 min. to get from baggage claim to the light rail station (opposite end of the parking garage at SEA) plus waiting for a train, then waiting for the SLUT at the Westlake end.

Third, frankly I'd pass on the Columbia Center on Friday, unless you want to be surrounded by a phalanx of lawyers all scrambling to get out of town for the long weekend. The Chinese Room at the Smith Tower is, IMO, vastly superior - more historic, a very good view of the waterfront (nothing in its way) and a great view of the Space Needle bracketed by buildings up 2nd Avenue. Plus you can get outside and walk around, something that you can't do at the Columbia Center.

Fourth, the earlier the better for the Pike Market on Saturday. Even though the Residence Inn will offer you a lovely repast of rubber eggs and jug coffee, do yourself a favor and head to the market for breakfast instead. Try Lowell's or the Athenian for the real deal, then (if you must) stop at the mermaid-with-boobs for your mandatory Original Latte for walking around the market. Don't miss the lower floors.

(Not taking anything away from Le Pichet or Cafe Campagne, both fab, but Lowell's and the Athenian have good food and a view to die for, whereas Le Pichet has a flight of buses out the window, and Cafe Campagne will borrow your wallet and return it well-used.)

As for bar/nightlife on Capitol Hill, your best bet is probably to under-plan it and be open to opportunities.

On Sunday you could have a late lunch instead of an early dinner, then eat something in the food court inside security at the airport. Sea-tac is very fortunate to have some first-rate dining opportunities available for travelers, and noshing there will be in a stress-free environment - no bags, no security line, etc.

Bring a brolly - rain in the offing. Sorry.
Old Feb 15th, 2012, 07:28 PM

Friday doesn't look problematic to ME at all.

Clarity: you're taking "light rail" from the airport, and transfering to the famed S.L.U.T. at Westlake.

Lets say you leave the airport at 1:30... downtown by 2:10, 10 minutes on the S.L.U.T. (that's about all she can take anyway) (ridetheslut.com never gets old)

If it isn't raining (it will be), you could even grab some atmosphere in walking back toward midtown from your digs. As the Columbia Center is toward the opposite end of downtown, it may be best to get a ride. Perhaps walk south beyond Bell Street (or so?) and utilize the "free ride zone" downtown, for a bus to get to 4th/5th and Columbia.

Take (probably two) elevators waaaaaaaaaay up in the tower, (and fret all the while that you can't both be a girl, AND a member of the exclusive club up there, in order to see the coolest bathrooms anywhere (http://www.bestrestroom.com/us/Hall_...2/columbia.asp)

You see the view, you dwell for a bit... (do they STILL not allow PHOTOS to be taken from up there???)

... and then you come back down to earth (literally)... it won't yet be 4:30... and the library is just a few blocks away...

first thing you do there is get your outdoor photos, making use of whatever daylight you have, then you go to the highest floor, and then walk downward sans stairs, elevator, or escalator... the floors are graded to make for a continuous circuit through the shelves...

Stop and browse around... as inspired.

From there, you drift outside and "down" to 1st avenue, and up the street (north) toward the Art Museum and its "Hammering Man" out front.

(I wonder if "2 hours or less" is the right amount of time to anticipate)

(at the museum, you'll be less than 2 blocks from Pike Place Market... which is an empty shell after dark (I think the first-ever Starbucks store there even closes at 7:30).

At least you could afford yourself a geographic sense of the Market, for use the next day.

Where the heck would I EAT along about then, if it were 8 or 9... oh, wait, perhaps the Pike Place Brewing Company (pikebrewing.com). which is kittycorner to the northwest and half-a-block north from the art museum. (only neon sign in that area of the sidewalk - go inside and downstairs)

IF it isn't raining (it will be)... you could reasonably WALK back to your hotel if you were so bold.

There are no majorly dangerous areas in central Seattle, though the areas between 1st and 3rd avenue near the Pike-Pine-Union corridor will possibly make you have second thoughts.

Additionally, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th avenues due north of the downtown core AFTER DARK may offer cause for hesitation too.

With that said, from the Pike Place Market area, after 9pm, IF you wanted to walk... go due east to 5th avenue, then north until you see "Westlake" avenue going in a diagonal direction. This is the street the S.L.U.T. was on earlier.

Oh, good, the S.L.U.T. runs until 11pm on Friday and Saturday nights... so walk down Westlake a block or two, and you'll see the trolley tracks and figure out where the stop is. (It costs a healthy $2.50)

Summation: Your Friday is NOT too packed at all... as most everything is geographically favorable.

I don't sense that you should plan a lunch spot at the Market on Saturday... just let lunch happen as you're walking by (it probably will, somewhere).

Pioneer Square, indeed... and the Smith Tower is sensible if only to see and ride-up in one of the elevators there. Each so old that they MUST have a human operator on board. The only elevators I've seen in modern times where they could miss you by half a floor, and nudge right back to get you.

So, the Frye Museum... open til FIVE on Saturdays...

IT is at the equivalent of "10th avenue" (there is no such number there, it's "Terry" avenue) and Columbia.

You will be somewhere near to Pioneer Square, just a couple of blocks from 1st & Columbia.

Unfortunately there are STEEP HILLS heading up there.

Alternatives are a $2.25 bus ride on #12... for which you'd have to walk NORTHBOUND on 1st avenue far enough to find #12 going SOUTH, on the WEST side OF 1st avenue... and it would get you right there (for the inflated $2.25 fare)

OR you might take that same bus to the "last free bus stop" (possibly not close enough, considering the hills), and walk from there.

FROM the museum to Capitol Hill... just walk a couple of blocks east to Broadway, on James or Cherry Streets, and then you'll have quite a little jaunt along busy Broadway to get to the heart of the scene. That'll be fine if it's not raining (it will be).

After your evening there, find bus #8 and see if it runs near enough to your hotel to suit you.

http://metro.kingcounty.gov/

#8 goes from Broadway to Westlake & Denny... I dunno how far that is from you, but it is in the ballpark.

For Sunday, do take the Ferry ride if it isn't raining (it will be)... but don't make plans to get off and visit the other side. Just the views and the outdoorsy part of it is what matters.

Additionally, for Sunday, I'd want you boarding the airport light rail in the downtown tunnel no later than 6pm for an 8:30 flight departure. That sorta limits your mobility on Sunday.

From your hotel, with luggage, to the light rail could be 20 or 30 minutes if you take the S.L.U.T. (factoring-IN random wait time) (it will go fast if you just happen to get on the trolley immediately)

That about covers it (yawn)
Old Feb 15th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the tips. Turns out I'm staying at the SpringHill Suites at Lake Union, so no SLUT (I'll just light rail to the mall and then walk up). I'm thinking fairly strongly about Purple Cafe Friday night and maybe Cafe Campanle or just winging it on Saturday morning/afternoon. Thanks for the other tips. I've heard really great things about Columbia Center, so I hope I can make it. If not, then, Smith Tower. I'm thinking Quinn's Saturday for dinner and then maybe The Lobby bar to gay it up. I'm a planner but I'll also try to be flexible
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 08:24 AM

Turns out I'm staying at the SpringHill Suites Good move. Much more convenient.

I have heard about the Cuff but the name suggested it was a bit, um, rough. You're kidding, right? My neighbor is a very refined guy--not "rough" in any way. I think it is a haven for "bears," but they are said to be the cuddly ones. Let your hair down.

Quinn's is in the Pike Street corridor I mentioned, where there are many other options. Since you are flexible, I suggest you take a look at various restaurant and bar options before committing yourself to any of them.

HTTY
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

If I were a girl, I'd probably have my hair in a severe bun!

Thanks for the tips. Turns out I'm actually meeting a friend for dinner Saturday night, so we did plan on Quinn's. I'm excited for a good burger!
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 10:15 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Two minor corrections: It's not a "trolley", it is the new Light Rail system you'll take in from the airport. The Seattle Streetcar is called just that (they quickly figured out SLUT was not the best name and no one uses it anymore, people won't know what you're talking about if you refer to it that way).

The ferry to Bainbride Island is more about the boat ride experience and the views. There's not all that much to see or do on the other side (just a couple streets with shops and restaurants about a 10 mins. walk from the dock). I think it's 1/2 hr each way plus whatever time you spend waiting for the ferry or on the other side.

From the Frye Museum (1st Hill) up to lower Capitol Hill and the Pike/Pine corridor (where many great bars and restaurants are located) is a fairly easy walk or use Metro bus.

For up-to-date gay information I'd try to make some gay connections or find websites specific to that. At least check The Stranger (newspaper or online). I don't feel Fodor's posters are exactly up to date with that particular information. Or let me get on the phone and call a few friends and ask (lol).
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 04:25 PM

I stopped in at the Pike Place Brewery (pikebrewing.com) today to verify, and they have their full dinner menu until 10:00pm, (and all but the 'entrees' after 10) on Friday night, IN CASE you are hungry when leaving the Art Museum semi-late.

That's just for the sake of convenience if needed. (kittycorner from the Art Museum)

Late Saturday night, now I'm sure that bus #8 is what you'll want... going northbound on Broadway... taking you to within a short walk to your hotel.
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 04:31 PM

Yes, if you want to take the bus between your hotel and Capitol Hill, the #8 bus is very convenient: http://metro.kingcounty.gov/tops/bus...s/s008_0_.html

HTTY