Search

Seattle in July

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2003, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seattle in July

I will be in Seattle for my first time in July. It is my wife's birthday and we just want to get away for a long weekend and have some fun,,, but be a little bit spoiled at the same time. We have three full days to be enjoying the scenery. We are not limitted to staying in the city and would like to travel around a little bit, but not spend 3 days in the car. I need hotel or B&B recommendations, very nice to luxury accomodations. Also, fine dining rec's and cool/trendy dining rec's. We are around 30 and want to see some cool things while we are there.
Old May 23rd, 2003, 03:05 PM
ALF

One good choice would be the Inn at Langley (inatlangley.com), a luxurious small inn located halfway up the east coast of Whidbey Island. Views are great, the cuisine is spectacular, and the rooms are very well-appointed. This could be part of a great overnight trip:

Drive up Interstate 5 to the Mukilteo Ferry exit. Take the ferry from Mukilteo to Clinton, then work your way up Whidbey Island, stopping at a few beaches or State parks along the way. Check into the Inn at Langley, then walk around this quaint little town (with some interesting boutiques) before relaxing in the hot tub in your room, then heading upstairs for a really fine dinner. After breakfast, continue up Whidbey Island, before crossing onto Fidalgo Island, at Deception Pass. ALong the way, check out the various beaches, trails, and paths around Deception Pass State Park. At the Erie general store, ask for directions on how to find the road that will take you to the top of Mt. Erie, which has to have one of the finest viewpoints in western Washington. Continue westward on Route 20, across the Swinomish Channel bridge, back onto the mainland. Head north for a fine coastal drive along Chuckanut Drive, or head back south on I-5 toward Seattle.

Another fine overnight option would be to drive east on Route 2, up and over the Cascade Range. Stay overnight in one of the quaint little hotels in Leavenworth. Follow the Columbia River southward to Interstate 90, then return back over the Cascades to Seattle.
Old May 23rd, 2003, 03:35 PM

We've got reservations at the Inn at Langley in September as a midpoint between Vancouver and Seattle. I think it's a great recommendation. The town of Langley is charming and the surrounding area is very beautiful. There is a particularly good greek restaurant in Langley as well just up the street from the Inn. We also manage to find our way to Toby's (Coupeville) which is a bar-dive but serves those penn cove mussels up by the bucketfull. You will certainly enjoy the scenery there and getting there on the Washington Ferry. If you have bags of money you might also check out the HerbFarm in Woodinville. I believe this would be more than the Inn at Langley and dinner will certainly be more than the Inn at Langley. Woodinville is near Redmond..this will probably involve less travel time if you go during off commute hours. I love Seattle. We often stay at the Gaslight Inn on Capitol Hill but have stayed at the Inn at the Market and liked it just fine(we particularly liked the market view rooms). You might also look at Hill House which is also on Capitol Hill(B&B). We like the
Gaslight because it is very arts&crafts with an impressive glass collection (not a piece of lace or anything victorian in view). I'd ask for restaurant recommendations on this website and stand back. We have eaten at Campagne several times and like it alot. We've also eaten at Dahlia Lounge,Fandango,Brasa,Wild Ginger and Tango. Of them all, I'd go back to Brasa and Tango again. Our next trip we are looking at Oceanaire, Ray's Boathouse,Deux Tamales and perhaps Le Pinchet. Someone wrote of "Fish" at the Marriott which sounded pretty interesting. Rovers is often written up as the place to go. A few weeks back I asked for recommendations from folks for some new places to eat in Seattle. The responses were varied and interesting. You might need to be more specific in terms of what you mean by "cool/trendy".(it means different things to everyone). I think each of the places listed might be considered trendy but some of them are rather established as well. Enjoy Seattle ..it's a great city. If I may, get yourselves a copy of Best Places: Seattle. We've found things even we haven't thought of in there and we've been going to the Emerald City at least once a year for the past 12 years.
Old May 23rd, 2003, 05:30 PM

I suggest the Salish because it's closer to the city and you don't have a lot of time.
Old May 23rd, 2003, 09:29 PM

drive drive drive...all people want to do is drive. People start their vacations in the main city they want to visit..and then spend 90% of their time driving several hours to destinations outside of where they originally planned to visit...listen...there are several kick butt italian places around the end of 1st street and the pike area. then for a trendy 30 something restaurant..go to a place called "The Manhattan" Then go to Fado's Irish pub and have a great time...enjoy seattle..I did!!
Old May 24th, 2003, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who helped with this. The rec's seem great. The place on Whidbey seems great and the Inn at the Market also. The restraunt choices seem overwhelming, but should not be hard to find a great one. At any rate, thanks for taking the time to help.

This is a great web site.
Old May 25th, 2003, 12:10 PM
DB

Try,

http://www.salishlodge.com/

Old May 28th, 2003, 04:40 PM

We are early 30's too and just got back yesterday from a fantastic trip to Seattle! We stayed at the Gaslight Inn and loved it. It's a good walk into town so be prepared for that.
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 02:26 PM

I am going to Seattle in July and just got a fantastic rate at the Four Seasons Olympic--$162 with the Entertainment Card. It's a beautiful, luxurious hotel with a spa and afternoon tea in the Georgian. Have fun!
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 09:16 AM

As a 20 year resident of Seattle, I would strongly advise anyone to wait until July 5th to visit. It's a joke here but it always (90%) rains on the Fourth and before that. Summer here starts July 5th when sun finally shines and the temperatures go from 66 to 75 degrees.
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 08:35 PM

My favorite Hotel in Seattle is the HOTEL MONACO--definitely Luxury and extremely funky high end decor!

I love Campagne Restaurant ( the one upstairs } and also Wild Ginger.

There is also a FABULOUS STEAK/CHOP HOUSE in the city near the Monaco which is FABULOUS....with great service....
Old Jun 22nd, 2003, 12:17 AM

bdfisher, great time to go to Seattle. The locals told me their summer is Independence Day to Labor Day. It is beautiful in July. For a 30 something fine (sort of trendy) restaurant, go to The Manhattan. We went there for a drink and an appetizer. Really nice. For drinks you seem like the type who would like Fado's. It is an Irish Pub with the 21-35 crowd. Bartenders are great and the cover bands are really good actually. For Fish and Chips go to Anthony's near pier 66.
Old Jun 22nd, 2003, 12:19 AM

There is also a really great small fine dining italian restaurant. I can't remember the name. It is really small, the door is easy to miss and you will most likely trip while walking towards it. If you trip while walking up to check out the menu..That's it Go inside. It is in the pioneer/1st street/pike area.
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 06:43 PM
E

That's the Pink Door, blue--and it's great! Cozy atmosphere, seriously hip waitrons, and there's no sign outside at all--although the door is, in fact, pink. It's just a few feet down from Fado's, in the alley.