Islands from Seattle, ferry?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a visit to Seattle in august (6 days)and while i'd love to see the city, I also want to stay a couple nights on one of the islands. we live in New Mexico so I miss water!
which islands are easy to get to from downtown Seattle?
How do you get to Whidbey island?
Any great, on the water, private places to stay?
thanks, Serena
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 11:18 PM

It depends. What do you mean by easy? Theoretically, you can get to any of the main islands from D. Seattle- but my limit for being on the water is about 2 hours. My mother's limit is 1 hour or less. Some people don't mind 4-7 hours, though. And the Wa State ferries only go to the "real" islands from Anacortes, not Seattle , but there are other services- Victoria Clipper, I think that's what I used last time. Wa ferries go from Seattle to Bainbridge Island and Bremerton. Just web browse under "victoria", "San Juan Islands" and "Washington state ferry"

Whidbey- You can drive, there's a bridge/highway.

If you want to go somewhere from Seattle- I'd recommend Bainbridge on the Ferry or buy a ticket for a tour down at the piers.

http://www.clippervacations.com/ hedule#scheduleSJI2005
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 11:23 PM

Somewhere in the link @ the bottom of my last post is the Victoria Clipper info- trip from Seattle to Friday Harbor is aboout 3 hours, w/no wait, detours or delays. If you want to spend a few days on one of the islands, FH is your best bet. Have Fun!
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 07:14 AM
ALF

Here is a route map for the Washington State ferry system:

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/info_desk/route-maps/

As noted above, although Bainbridge and Vashon Islands are the closest, most locals think of them as merely part of the greater Seattle area, just with a watery road access.

I agree that probably Whidbey Island would be the best choice, being fairly close to Seattle, and having several good accomodation choices. If you have a car, you can do a really nice loop by taking the Mukilteo ferry (about 30-40 mins north of Seattle), to Clinton, then working your way up Whidbey and Fidalgo (connected by bridge) islands; before returning to the 'mainland' (also by bridge) and driving back south to Seattle.

Some nice places to stay on Whidbey:

The Inn at Langley (my favorite, but NOT cheap!)
http://www.innatlangley.com/

Captain Whidbey Inn (also in Langley)
http://www.captainwhidbey.com/

I really like little quaint Langley as a place to stay and hang out. Here is a more complete listing:
http://www.gonorthwest.com/Washingto...mmodations.htm

Anyway, there are lots of things to do along the way - some nice beaches and bluff views, Deception Pass State Park and Washington State Park, the viewpoint atop Mt. Erie (on a nice day, this is one of the best views in the State, IMO).
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 09:35 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Whidbey Island would be a great choice, not too far from Seattle. I really like the Captain Whidbey Inn for a place to stay.
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the wonderful information, will take it with me!!!
serena
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 02:17 PM

Hi,

Actually, you can take the ferry from Mukilteo (Muck-ill-tee-oh), which is about 30 minutes drive (depending on traffic in Seattle, which is bad before 9 a.m. and after 1 p.m.) from downtown Seattle to Whidbey Island. Whidbey Island is about a 2 hour drive from north to south because it is a slow, winding two lane road. It is beautiful countryside and a gorgeous ferry ride. Deception Pass is on the north end of the island, and you can get to it by going north on I-5 to Burlington/Anacortes, which is about an hour and 15 minutes from Seattle.

You might want to consider Bainbridge Island, which is a 30 minute ferry ride from downtown Seattle and a lovely quiet community with artist's studios, lovely gardens. You can walk onto the ferry. Many professionals and executives live on Bainbridge and commute by ferry to work in downtown Seattle.

Have fun!
Julia