Seattle hotel near Pike Street

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't been to Seattle for a really long time. For a one-day quick fix of Seattle's flavor, it seems to me that staying near the Pike St. Market is a good bet. Any other better ideas? What hotel(s) would you suggest? We'd like a nice hotel with some character and would pick nicer over cheaper, although nice and cheap are ok too.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 06:18 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Inn at the Market (www.innatthemarket.com) is a very nice boutique hotel right in the market.

On First Ave. a couple of blocks south of the market is the Alexis Hotel, part of the Kimpton Group. North and a couple of blocks inland, the former Hotel Claremont has been resurrected as the Hotel Andra, occasionally running some attractive specials. Another Kimpton hotel, the Monaco, is at 4th and Seneca, 4 blocks from the market. Loaner goldfish on request.

Down below the Market on the waterfront is the new Marriott. Good location but I haven't heard it being accused of having a lot of character.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 07:06 AM

Inn at the Market. You are within spitting distance of it. We always get a market view room. The hotel has valet parking and Campagne, a very good restaurant.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 08:50 AM

You might want to check out hotel deals on www.seattlesupersaver.com
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 10:36 AM

Help!
The hotels I was looking at (Silver Cloud at Lake Union and University Tower) are booked, so I have some alternatives:
Comfort Suites Seattle Center 139/nt
Hampton Inn Seattle Downtown 149-169
Marqueen 135
Andra 175
Homewood Suites 169
Summerfield Suites 144
?Any other suggestions

Criteria---Will be in city for 3 nights, two adults/no kids this time, not necessarily into the bar scene, but looking for proximity to good seafood restaurants and places with "views". I have a car but would rather be able to walk or use alternate transportation, but am flexible. Some of the places have free parking, some you pay, but figure the extra cost in paying valet might be offset by not needing to hassle/pay to park downtown. Some of the things I am looking at doing are Pike Market, Argosy Locks Cruise, and one day away from the city totally to see Mt. Rainier.
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 10:45 AM

After reading about the shutdown of the monorail http://komotv4.com/stories/31895.htm, I am thinking ? does it makes more sense to stay at a downtown hotel, rather than near Seattle Center. I had planned on using the monorail to get DT area from Seattle Center.
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 10:54 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Yes, but won't matter that much. Buses are very easy. Note this will not apply during Bumbershoot at Labor Day - that will probably be awful without the monorail.
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 11:43 AM

My husband and I go to Seattle for weekend trips about 5 times a year and have stayed in a lot of the high-end Seattle hotels.

If you want to be right at the market, there's no place better than the Inn at the Market as another had suggested. However, most downtown hotels are within a 5-10 minute walk away, and the area around Pike Place isn't that nice in the evening (think walking briskly and hiding your purse!). Well not 'YOURS', since I assume you're male... but you get the idea!

The Hotel Monaco (and Alexis too) are really good suggestions. The Kimpton Group always takes old buildings, guts them (graciously restores anything worth saving) and remodels them into great 4 to 4.5 star boutique hotels. There are always robes and Aveda toilettries in your room, complimentary newpaper & coffee in the morning as well as a wine reception in the evening. Some of the decor is quite hip and not for everyone -- but I love it. The Monaco has recently remodelled their rooms, replacing all the soft-goods. It's not as wild looking as it used to be, but still very nice.

I wouldn't say it has 'character', but the Seattle Hyatt is truly a 5* hotel. It is high tech, has luxurious huge bathrooms and a contemporary but warm decor. Their rooms are better than the W and very plush. Their restaurant, 727 Pine (I think) has the best breakfasts I've ever had. Sometimes you can get an AAA rate that includes breakfast for free.

The Andra looks good too, but I haven't stayed there yet. The recent web-special was $160 when I checked a few days ago. Tom Douglas is opening his new restaurant Lola there, the hotel says it's opening at the end of the month (June).

I haven't found 'nice and cheap' going together in Seattle, as it seems more expensive for hotels than many U.S. cities. However, that said, you may be able to find that perfect combination using Hotwire or Priceline. You can learn how to use these to your advantage, on www.betterbidding.com. After poking around on that site for a bit and asking some questions, I finally got up enough courage to use those sites to book hotels at incredible discounts. In Seattle, you may be able to get the Hyatt, Hotel Monaco, Westin, Sheraton etc. etc. during your dates. The Andra, and Inn at the Market have not shown up through either of those sites.

Wow, I'm writing a book here... gotta stop!

Have fun.
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 12:36 PM

Thanks!....I'm actually thinking of either trying to bid a 4* hotel downtown on Priceline (looks like they have been going for $115-130 during that time period) or booking the Andra, though the best price I found online was $175. Inn at the Market sounded nice, but rooms are not available that weekend. I need to find out what hotels have in-and-out privileges for the parking, as I am going to do a trip to Mt. Rainier.
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 04:27 PM

I just got the Sheraton on Priceline (4*) but usually book through hotwire to have more control. On Hotwire the 5* is the Hyatt -- which is my true love in Seattle Downtown.

Enjoy.