seattle hotel/travel

Old Jan 14th, 2004, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

seattle hotel/travel

We will be bringing our HS daughter to look at colleges in Washington. We have one night to spend in Seattle. Where? Would love some input. Something near the Market, I think. Not budget. Although we're used to NY prices, 5 Star isn't necessary.

How far is downtown from the airport?

We'll then travel on (in mid February) to Eastern Washington -- Walla Walla, to be exact. Driving is cheaper for the three of us, so there it is. How bad could the mountain roads get? Is this feasible? Might we need chains?

Thanks.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 05:07 PM

The Inn at the Market is right in the market; might be a tad pricey but very nice. The new waterfront Marriott is right at the foot of the hill below the market and is also a good location. The Grand Hyatt is very nice in the 4* plus range. None of the major chains in downtown Seattle will let you down, but they tend to be business-y. There are a few very nice Kimpton boutique-y places (Alexis, Monaco, etc.) that are also quite nice. Search this site (if you can - I'm having a devil of a time) and look at tripadvisor.com for leads and reviews. You might also try Priceline. If you have a car, you might also look at the Residence Inn opposite Lake Union a little north of downtown - bigger rooms and an interesting area.

The airport is 20 min. from downtown, cab fare around $25. A car is useful for visiting colleges in Seattle. (U of W? Seattle U? SPU?)

Both the mountain passes (use I-90; Snoqualmie Pass is freeway and the lowest elevation short of the Columbia Gorge, a major detour) and traveling overland in eastern Washington can be snowy/icy, so chains might be needed. Check with your rental car company to make sure they'll allow it. Otherwise you might have to fly to Walla Walla on Horizon Airlines.

Good luck.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 05:40 PM

I agree with Gardyloo, try Priceline, but you might wish not to bid for less than a 4-star hotel. Expect to pay about $20/day for parking, but even with that you should be able to get an excellent hotel right in downtown Seattle for under $100/night.

Andrew
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 07:07 PM

Inn at the Market is right in the swing of things and a really funky hotel is the Hotel Monaco--FABULOUS!! wine and cheese served in lobby daily and a goldfish delivered to your room as a pet while you stay there...

We have stayed at the Monaco 2 times , we love it that much...
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 11:27 PM

I agree that the Inn at the Market, the Alexis, or the Grand Hyatt would be great choices for being right downtown and these are all really nice hotels. We also really like the Fairmont Olympic Hotel(formerly Four Seasons) but about a 10 or 15 minute walk to the Pike Place Market. What we loved about the Fairmont was their lovely indoor pool, gym and service-they gave our girls cookies, books, apples, etc. And the concierge managed to get us dinner reservations for a full restaurant. By the way- I am a Whitman alum, could that be the Walla Walla college you will be visiting?!
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

Yes, we will be visiting Whitman. Did you love it? We live in NYC and are doing a swing through of West Coast colleges (Oxy, Puget Sound and Whitman). Tickets for three on Horizon are steep compared to a car rental, but now I'm concerned about road conditions. Thanks for the advice. I've never bid on Priceline, but I will look into it.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 05:38 AM

Whitman is really an undiscovered gem, as is Walla Walla. But it's a very different scene than UPS or Accidental -(oops) - small town America vs. big city; almost a New England small college feel . The campus itself is lovely esp. in the spring. Getting to/from WW can be a nuisance in the winter, but no more so than colleges in the northeast. One of Walla Walla's great advantages is its proximity to the Blue and Wallowa Mountains in NE Oregon - some of the most beautiful "undiscovered" country in America.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

We're really looking forward to seeing Whitman -- if we can get there. Can anyone tell me if it would it make more sense to drive from Portland? Is that an easier route? Are we being penny wise-pound foolish to drive from Seattle? Maybe it is more prudent to fly.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 07:40 AM

I think Portland to Walla Walla probably would be an easier route and that's a fun city too, smaller than Seattle of course and very walkable.You might get lucky by mid-Feb. and maybe the passes would be fine. I haven't done it in awhile at that time of year.

I did love Whitman and it is a wonderful school. The faculty were the best part of it; I'm still friends with many of them 20 years later-of course many have now retired! Walla Walla is a lovely farming community with a darling small town, and a funny mix of intellectuals and farmers. Now it has also become a well-respected wine region. I can give more info later, or give me your email if you want--must take the girls to school!
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 07:45 AM

P.S. the mountain passes are usually OK if you put chains on your tires-don't know if that works with rental cars? When I was at Whitman we came to Seattle several times a year even in winter and I also flew home during the winter. We're not used to snow in the Puget SOund area as in other areas of the country-this year was unusual.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 08:18 AM

Hi! We loved our three night stay at the Edgewater Hotel in August. It is located directly on the water. We got in under the "Breakfast on the Bay" package and were treated each am to a full (no limit on what you could order) breakfast each am. The entire property is beautiful with breath-taking views of Elliott Bay.

The rooms have robes, teddy bears on the beds, cute bear footstools, fireplaces and all the nice amenities. Turndown service each am which is very nice. Another thing I was very impressed with was the concierge here. The hotel shuttle took us everywhere and picked us up within ten minutes of calling them.

They also got us into a full restaurant on Sat. night (Salty's on Alki Beach) and arranged for a complimentary limo to pick us up. We will be staying here again this summer. It is only a short walk to Pike's Place Market or the hotel will shuttle you there. Have a great stay! ***kim***
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input. I'm looking at a map, and the Portland route might be easier. I understand the snows have been at record levels this year. I think I'll also ask the Whitman admissions office what they're advising. I know it is a great school, but it is cumbersome to get there from the east coast!
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 08:59 AM

That's a good idea to talk to someone at Whitman; everyone is exceptionally nice and helpful there, but maybe that's true at most small liberal-arts colleges! Is your daughter only looking at West Coast schools-I can see that getting to Walla Walla from NYC is not super direct. It's great that you're able to visit first so that your daughter and you will be able to see for yourself what works or doesn't. It's definitely worth the trip, even in winter.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 08:59 AM

Another vote for Inn at the Market.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

dlaj -- you can email me at [email protected] with whitman stories. I'm from CA myself and went to Oxy, but have been in NY for a looong time now. I looked at Whitman for myself years ago and am eager to see it again.

If we go through Portland -- ideas on where to stay?

Do car rental companies rent chains?
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 10:09 AM

The drive from Portland will likely be a bit quicker than from Seattle, and, frankly, more scenic. However, take the time, even in winter, to use the "historic" Columbia Gorge Highway between Troutdale (just east of Portland) and Cascade Locks. If you can manage to take a full day to drive between Portland and Walla Walla, also stop at Multnomah Falls and the Maryhill Museum (near Goldendale, on the Washington side) en route. Highly recommended.

For the night before, also consider staying in Troutdale at McMenamin's Edgefield, a marvelous, fun, funky, fascinating place - see www.mcmenamins.com. If you're doing PSU the day before, it's around a 3 hour drive from Tacoma to Troutdale, using I-5 and I-205.

The I-84 corridor can be inclement, but not likely to have the same issue with snow as the mountain passes (the Columbia river cuts through the Cascades, so the road stays close to sea level the whole way.) The Gorge can be windy (and icy, like last week, when the road was closed for several days) but as a rule less challenging than the mountain passes.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 10:12 AM

Sorry...meant UPS. PSU is in PDX ;-)
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 01:03 PM

I graduated from Whitman too -- really loved it. It is a beautiful, small campus, and the location in (small) Walla Walla means that you really get to know the town. The college also arranges many cool events -- speakers, bands, theatre -- since you don't have the proximity to a "big city." Whitman can certainly look WAY too much like one big j.crew catalog . . . I've heard it called "summer camp for rich kids," but like any school you get out of it what you put in. I certainly wouldn't trade my education there. Excluding a freshman "core" class in the classics, the largest class I had in four years was about 15 people.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Love the testimonials!