Seattle Home Base, Three Nights?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be arriving in Seattle by car after spending a night at Mt. Rainier. We have three nights in Seattle, and then will head to Lake Crescent for one night, then on to Tofino, BC (through Port Angeles, Victoria). We have two options for housing: Bainbridge Island, or the Queen Anne district of Seattle. For our two days in Seattle, we will want to do some of the touristy stuff, but mainly just poke around. The idea of staying on Bainbridge (or any) Island appeals to me, and it would put us closer to Lake Crescent. But I am wondering how inconvenient it would be to have to take a ferry into Seattle both mornings. What do you think, Fodors friends?
Old Feb 9th, 2010, 10:42 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
IMO Bainbridge Island would be very inconvenient if 2 days of Seattle sightseeing is what you want to do. Queen Anne is completely more convenient (you can get around from there on foot, Metro bus, your rental car, monorail, taxi, etc.)

While technically an "island" it feels more like a Seattle suburb to me, it's not like you're getting an experience like staying on the San Juans or something.

On Bainbridge you are tied to a 30 mins. ferry ride every time (plus waiting for the ferry, boarding, etc. so more like an hour). And you come in down at the Pioneer Square end of downtown (to the south).
Old Feb 9th, 2010, 12:59 PM

Suze has described the situation perfectly.

If you stay in Seattle it is still only about three hours to Lake Crescent and, taking the ferry from Edmonds, you will pass through one of the quaintest towns in the state--Port Gamble.

HTTY
Old Feb 9th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your advice. That's exactly what I needed to know.
Old Feb 9th, 2010, 01:19 PM

CindyW, Will you be staying at Lake Crescent Lodge, which is a great place, or at Log Cabin Resort, which isn't?

HTTY
Old Feb 9th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

We're getting a camping cabin (very rustic, one night) at the Log Cabin Resort (bring your own sleeping bags, that kind of thing), so I'm not expecting anything but a roof over my head. (On the one hand, how bad can it be? On the other hand, I burst into tears when I saw our camping cabin at the Grand Tetons, and there were rats all around our camping cabin on the Big Island--you'd think I'd learn! We had a blast at Yosemite, though, in the camping cabin there. And the bad experiences have made for some good stories. ) Anyway, please, do tell! What was your experience at the Log Cabin Resort?
Old Feb 9th, 2010, 02:59 PM

I regret to tell you that Log Cabin Resort is really, really bad. We stayed there one Labor Day weekend when we couldn't get a room anyplace else at the last minute. It is shocking to know that it is a facility of the Olympic National Park. The setting is beautiful, but we couldn't wait to get away in the morning and the useless woman at the desk didn't want to check us out until she felt like. Our room was overpriced, dank, and miserable. I would have laughed if I hadn't paid hard-earned money to spend the night in it.

You would be better off renting a tent at R.E.I. and staying at one of the camp grounds--Sol Duc, for instance.
Old Feb 9th, 2010, 05:37 PM

I think that the camping cabins are fairly new...so maybe not so bad. Have you checked recent reviews on TripAdvisor? I stayed there once and liked it, but it was about 20 years ago. I visit the place every once in awhile (it's a convenient bathroom stop for the Spruce Railroad trailhead), and it still looks OK from the outside.
Old Feb 9th, 2010, 05:44 PM

Also - I don't really agree with the folks who pooh-poohed the idea of staying on Bainbridge. It's a half-hour, wonderfully scenic ferry ride from Seattle, and you can leave your car on the island and use public transportation in the city; which is much preferable to trying to sightsee in Seattle with a car.

I am a "West Sounder", and we ALWAYS leave the car on Bainbridge to do a day in Seattle. And you can still easily see Port Gamble on the way to Lake Crescent -- in fact that shortcut from Bainbridge (via Suquamish) is better than driving up 305 through Poulsbo.
Old Feb 9th, 2010, 07:22 PM

I'm regret somebody believes Bainbridge Island has been pooh-poohed here. It has not been.

We were simply answering the question whether we thought Bainbridge Island or the Queen Anne neighborhood would be a more convenient base for sightseeing in Seattle, and we stated our opinion that we believe it would be more convenient to sightsee in Seattle by staying in Seattle than by taking a ferry back and forth.

I might add that Queen Anne has many great dining options and that walking around the streets there is also a good deal of fun.

I went out of my way to ask if, by chance, the OP had booked at Log Cabin Resort because, if she has, I wanted to spare her an unpleasant surprise of the kind we had when we booked there three years ago.

I hoped the day had passed when Fodorites voiced complaints about the reasonable suggestions of others, and I'm sorry it has not.

HTTY
Old Feb 9th, 2010, 08:44 PM

Well, I don't think I actually COMPLAINED about anyone's suggestion -- I just had a different suggestion.
Old Feb 10th, 2010, 07:14 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
azzure, It was the "pooh-poohing" choice of words. Just because I think Queen Anne is MUCH more convenient for sightseeing in Seattle, doesn't mean I don't like Bainbridge Island. It's a nice place. But would imo add lots of extra time in such a short stay, going back & forth.