Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Seattle - hiking possibilities without a car??

Old Feb 18th, 2016, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Hi everyone!

Bit of a specific question here....

My brother and his fiance are taking a trip out to Seattle at the end of June. It's their first time there and they're mostly staying within the city. Money is tight so they really want to avoid renting a car.

They would, however, like to spend one day on a nice hike somewhere. I told him I'm not sure that'll be possible without a car, but thought I'd check here. Anyone know of any shuttles or anything that may run out to Ranier or any other good places for a nice 8 hour hike or so? They are staying at an airbnb on Bell town (I know nothing about Seattle so I'm just relaying the info...)

I know it's a bit of a long shot but thanks in advance!
Old Feb 18th, 2016, 08:49 AM

The nicest walk/hike in Seattle is the Botanic Garden and Arboretum. http://depts.washington.edu/uwbg/gardens/wpa.shtml
You can get to the entrance by bus.
You can rent a kayak and paddle on Lake Washington.
If they bring their passports, they can take an Amtrak train or bus to Vancouver BC and hike in Stanley Park.
I also like walking in Forest Park in the west end of Portland. There are several trains per day from Seattle King St. station to Portland Oregon.
Old Feb 18th, 2016, 09:27 PM

In addition to the Arboretum, we like the hike to the lighthouse in Discovery Park, and the walk around Green Lake is one of the most popular in the city.

In the old days you could have taken a Greyhound bus to North Bend and hiked up Mount Si. Maybe there is some other form of public transportation there today.

Fortunately, Seattle is a very walkable place. You can get plenty of exercise without leaving town.

Capitol Hill and Queen Anne Hill are residential areas close to downtown. They both have theaters, restaurants, bars, clubs, and great views of the surrounding mountains and water.

A view of Seattle often seen on TV is from Kerry Park, 2nd Ave W and W Highland Drive on Queen Anne Hill.

For great views of the Seattle skyline, take the ferry to Bainbridge Island and wander around the town there before returning to Seattle.

From Capitol Hill you could walk out to the University District and from there to Wallingford and Fremont.

The options are endless.

HTtY
Old Feb 18th, 2016, 09:36 PM

I almost forgot. Walk (or take a #2 bus) to Madrona Park on Lake Washington and walk south along the shore of the lake to Seward Park. If you're pooped, catch a bus back to your hotel.

If, you walk north from Madrona Park you will pass the house in which Kurt Cobain died and eventually get to the Madison Park neighborhood where you could have a bite to eat at Cactus or one of the other eateries.

HTtY
Old Feb 18th, 2016, 09:40 PM

If those ideas don't please your brother, he may get some help from this site: http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/tiger-mountain-trail

HTtY
Old Feb 23rd, 2016, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Thank you much! Some great ideas there...I will pass along. No doubt they will find many of those ideas appealing.
Old Feb 23rd, 2016, 02:30 PM

Yes there are tours available to get you to Mt. Rainier and back. I have no idea about this company but here's one example:
http://www.toursofseattle.com/tour/mt-rainier-day-tour/
Old Feb 23rd, 2016, 04:51 PM
mms

Have them take a look at the local mountaineering group www.mountaineers.org . We have been members for many years and it is a fantastic group. They lead hikes all the time, and will let nonmembers come along on some. They post their schedule so they will be able to see what is coming up. Ride sharing is encouraged, so that shouldn't be an issue.