Seattle:Grand Hyatt vs. Marriott

Old Jul 25th, 2003, 07:58 AM
lkj
Original Poster

Seattle:Grand Hyatt vs. Marriott

We are visiting Seattle around Labor Day and tried to stay at Inn at the Market, but it was booked. Trying to decide between the Elliott Grand Hyatt and the new Marriott Waterfront. Has anyone stayed at either? Which do you recommend? Thanks!
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 09:17 AM

We stayed at the Elliott Grand Hyatt last July pre-cruise. We got a $45 rate via Priceline and IMO, was the best bargain and hotel I've ever had, The rooms are large, clean and well appointed ( you operate the curtains from a remote control, use a light outside the door instead of a "do not disturb" sign on the doorknob, and unlimited AOl for $10). The bathroom (and I am only semi-joking ) was bigger than our cruise ship room. Elegant marble shower that could hold a small family and waterfall fixture in the large tub. Very close to restaurants. I think I remember a Cheescake Factory just around the corner, if you like desserts. You will love this place. Good Luck.
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 10:16 AM
lkj
Original Poster

Thanks, Schnitzel! Two questions: How long was the walk to Pike Market, and do top floor rooms have a water view? Thanks!
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 10:25 AM

Its a 10-15 minute walk to Pike Place Market.Top floors on the west side of the hotel woud have some views of Puget Sound.
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 11:06 AM

I stayed at the Elliott Grand Hyatt last week for 6 days. Our room was on the 25th floor and had a view of Lake Union from our window. The hotel itself was really very nice. Schnitzel was right about the bathroom - it was huge with a separate soaking tub and shower, marble vanity. Nice finishes in the room - lots of marble and wood. I would definitely stay there again. Very convenient to everything. The gym was very nice - Precor machines, gorgeous wood floor, tvs on every machine with headsets.
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 11:19 AM

Note that Labor Day weekend is when the big Bumbershoot arts festival takes place at Seattle Center. Go see www.bumbershoot.org for the lineups. The Hyatt is a short walk from the downtown monorail terminal at Westlake, so you can get easily to Seattle Center for the action. The Marriott will be somewhat less convenient to the monorail, although still only a 15-20 min. walk at worst.
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 01:42 PM

The walk to the Market is about 15 minutes (stopping to look in windows along the way). Be prepared for hills, hills, and more hills, although they have a nice bus and trolley system so you don't have to walk miles if you don't want to. We stayed on the 12th or 14th floor at the Hyatt, and we had a city view. We liked Seattle so much we're going back again next July. I have to wait awhile to bid on Priceline, but I understand the PL rates for Hyatt are up to around $85 or $90. Even that would be a bargain, though.
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 02:43 PM
SMM

We just returned from a stay at the Seattle Marriott Waterfront. It was marvelous. Everyone associated with the hotel catered to every whim. Well worth the price.