Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Seattle folks: any tips on taking light rail from UW to Seatac?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2018, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m flying out of SeaTac tomorrow morning, a Tuesday, to catch a 10:45 flight on Southwest. I’ve always had a ride to the airport in the past, but I’m not at my brother’s house closer to the airport this trip, and I’m trying to avoid having my friend make the drive from NE Seattle to the airport in the morning.

I’ve checked out the light rail online and it looks pretty simple, but I’m wondering what it’s like with luggage (I’ll have a 22” roller bag with a smaller carryon) and also how crowded it might be 8:00/8:15.

Any thoughts? Thank you!
Old May 28th, 2018, 08:38 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I've only used it to/from SeaTac a couple of visits -- but it was easy as pie. No problems at all.

Maybe one of the locals will know about any special issues on a weekday morning to SeaTac.
Old May 28th, 2018, 08:41 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Since the train originates at the UW station (which is next to Husky Stadium by the way) you won't have any trouble with room for you and your luggage, although you might get some frowns from other passengers later.

Of greater concern is the mob scene at Seatac, with cruise passengers and others trying to get out. Be ready for long lines at security, and at the Southwest counters if you're checking your bag. Two hours at the airport ought to be enough, but earlier is better.
Old May 28th, 2018, 10:41 AM

There’s luggage space in the train- so I’d put your bag there and snag a seat nearby, since you’re going all the way to seatac. you’ll want to move it if people need a place for their bikes. Not that many bikes usually aboard. Luggage isn’t a problem on that train and I’ve never seen frowns lol. I just rode it yesterday, and there were people with luggage at every downtown station.

Normally I’d expect a very crowded train, but think that’s probably a reverse rush hour at that time, so you may have a pretty empty train out past downtown.
Old May 28th, 2018, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, especially for the amount of time to allow at SeaTac!
Old May 29th, 2018, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

FYI: worked out great. I caught a train about 7:40 am and it was pretty empty all the way to SeaTac. Other airport bound travelers seemed to be my main car companions. Easy & cheap. Thank you!
Old Jun 2nd, 2018, 03:39 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
i'm late to this party but glad it worked out. i figured you'd be OK because of the direction of travel (not many people on at the University station).