Seattle Decisions - please assist

Mar 8th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

Seattle Decisions - please assist

Thank you Seattle posters, I have already gotten so many great suggestions from the postings. It has definately helped me narrow down my choices. With that being said, I am still a little uncertain given the numerous amount of good options for hotels and especially restaurants. If anyone could offer some advice, I'd be grateful.
My husband and I are planning a weekend to Seattle the end of March for a 12 year anniversary. We want to be downtown for shopping purposes and restaurants. We love luxury accomodations when we travel. I had finally decided to go with the Grand Hyatt (for location and quality) when the AAA rate went way up. I decided spending $300 at Hyatt for standard room- instead of $200 or a little under for a suite at either Sorrento (when included in package)or Monaco (AAA rate) didn't make a whole lot of sense. If Hyatt is truly worth the extra $100 a night please let me know. Otherwise, given quality of hotel: comfort of beds, decor, and service and LOCATION which one, Sorrento or Monaco should we go with. Sorrento said the towncar is usually available when needed for trips into downtown. And how is the Monaco location really? We don't mind a good walk but if it's raining ha ha, and we have packages are we going to be hoofing it 15 minutes to get back to the hotel? One more question on lodging - should I be considering the Westin or Sheraton more seriously - the prices are great but they haven't reviewed as favorably at least on this board.
Thanks so much I anxiously await any responses. I think we'll tackle the restaurant questions after the hotel choice has been finalized.
Mar 8th, 2006, 07:56 PM

I live here and haven't seen the rooms in any of these (except the Sorrento), but I can comment on location. The Sorrento is out of the way. The Grand Hyatt, Westin, and Sheraton are all within a few blocks of one another. The Monaco, is also right in the thick of things in the downtown core, but a little further south (toward Pioneer Square). It is equally accesible to good shopping and restaurants--closer to the water and the art museum, etc. If that one appeals to you in terms of amenities, it would be a fine choice. (I have eaten in their restaurant, Sazerac, and it was terrific). Happy Anniversary!
Mar 8th, 2006, 08:04 PM

Another vote for the Monaco, and two enthusiastic votes for Sazerac. It is a Kimpton property so they don't prominently bill Sazerac as the "hotel restaurant" - their marketing strategy is to keep them separate- but it is terrific. Especially if chef Jason is working you will have a wonderful meal.
Mar 9th, 2006, 05:41 AM

Have you checked out the Hotel Andra? Stayed there in September and was pleasantly surprised. Part of the small luxury hotels group, which is how I found it. Rooms are not giant, but they are well appointed. The beds were great. You're smack in the middle of Belltown and right across the street from Dahlia restaurant, also walkable to Pike Place market.
Mar 9th, 2006, 05:47 AM

We enjoyed our stay at Hotel Monaco and thought the location was great. Walking distance to shopping and Pike Place (although not in the heart of it). If I remember correctly they have an afternoon wine tasting too. The rooms are a little boldly painted but I liked them.
Mar 9th, 2006, 06:38 AM

The Monaco was carved out of a former office building; our room had a view of a building across the street through tinted windows--very gloomy.

The Sheraton's low prices reflect the fact that it is a construction site. A new tower is going up on the SW corner.

The Westin has those comfortable beds they advertise, good sized rooms, a convenient location, and the possibility of a fantastic view. Request a room with a view to the west.
Mar 9th, 2006, 06:49 AM

The Sorrento is a bit out of the way on First Hill but is a very beautiful hotel. Certainly the most unique of those you listed. I would use their towncar, and catch a taxi back if you have packages. It would only be a few dollars from downtown core to Sorrento.
Mar 9th, 2006, 07:02 AM

The Sorrento is very nice but on a steep hill and separated by a freeway and several city blocks from the commercial/shopping core.

Between it and the Monaco, no question - Monaco. Yes, former office building converted, but not unpleasant, good rooms, and Sazerac is a great restaurant.

Between the Monaco and the Westin/Sheraton, I'd pick the Westin for the chance of a good view. (Are you Starwood members? If not, sign up quickly - free - and put in your card ID when you reserve - better chances for a room upgrade, which at the Seattle Westin is a good thing.)

Neither the Westin nor the Sheraton is particularly romantic for an anniversary, but certainly adequate. I'd check out the W, the Inn at the Market, or the Alexis as well as those already mentioned before dropping the penny.
Mar 10th, 2006, 09:44 AM

Absolutely the Monaco. I've lived in Belltown for 8 years. The Monaco is perfect for shopping, music, restaurants, etc. It's a quick ride via taxi to the Needle if you must, and Capitol Hill for other food and music venues. No, the Westin and Sheraton pale in comparison to the Monaco. The Sorrento, while nice, is in a bad location. Not worth it. Forget the extra cash for the Hyatt. Seriously. Go Monaco or the W. They are across the street from one another. Stay at one and have drinks at the other. Also, eat at The Wild Ginger (Thai inspired), see some music at The Triple Door and walk to both. What kind of food do you like? Il Bistro is in the Market for Italian or La Fontana or Lampreia, there's good seafood in many places...McCormack's for a more casual atmosphere, The Metropolitan Grill for more upscale, Cafe Campagne or Campagne or Le Pichet for French, Kell's is fun for Irish food. You can walk to all of these. In Cap. Hill, 1200 Bistro is a small, casual but hip place with NW cuisine. Just depends on what you guys eat.
Mar 10th, 2006, 09:48 AM

listen to lenlu's restaurant recommendations. that's an excellent and interesting list.
Mar 10th, 2006, 11:04 AM

At www.monaco-seattle.com you can find photos of the garish colors in which rooms are decorated to distract guests from the gloom that results from tinted windows and close proximity to office buildings.

I like to have a room with big windows that capture as much natural light as possible, and I also like a view. These are available in Seattle.
Mar 11th, 2006, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Everyone- thank you so much for your thoughtful responses. I appreciate all the advice you've given me so far. I am taking it all into consideration. Right now I am leaning toward the Monaco, but still like the look of the Sorrento. We are only going to be there one night so maybe the distance of the Sorrento wouldn't be to big of a deal. I will let everyone know what our final choice ends up being and let you know about our trip when we return.

Also thanks for the dinner suggestions. So far Campagne and Cascadia look very appealing. I think I figured out why I've been waffling on the restaurant choice for our anniversary dinner. Seattle is really a French and seafood town isn't it? I feel as though I've been searching in vain for just the right authentic Northern Italian restaurant. We have a lot of great Italian (authenic not speghtetti factory) restaurants in Portland- they're everywhere but we don't have as many French. Seattle seems to be the opposite. Maybe I'm completely wrong, won't be the first time. So I think since we often eat Italian- time for something a little different. Clearly from the posts I think Campagne would be delightful. What are your thoughts about Cascadia? We want an intimate and romantic experience for dinner with wonderful food. Only thing I need to avoid is a lot of spicy (hot/spicy) food due to some health issues (much to my husbands dismay he loves spicy). We love all kinds of food. And we want a unique Seattle restaurant not a chain one that we could go to in Portland on any given weekend. Look forward to hearing more from you.
Thanks
Mar 11th, 2006, 09:22 AM

My vote still goes with the Sorrento! When you pull up in front at the elegant entrance, palm tree lined arching driveway... It's really is a beautiful hotel. Old and classy, nothing like the others on your list.

La Fontana, Il Bistro, Assagios are all excellent Italian restaurants downtown. I don't think of Seattle as being particularly french-leaning.
Mar 11th, 2006, 09:24 AM

definitely Campagne over Cascadia
Mar 11th, 2006, 02:49 PM

The best authentic northern Italian in Seattle is Osteria La Spiga, on Capital Hill not far from downtwon, which specializes in the food of Emilia-Romagna. It's the only Italian place in Seattle that actually reminds me of restaurants in Italy (which is not to say the other ones we have are bad, they're often just too Americanized for me, or they focus on a type of Italian cuisine that I don't like as well).
Seattle actually only has a handful of French places, though they are all very good. It is Asian that we are best at-top-notch Vietnamese, Szechuan, Malaysian...If you've never had really good Vietnamese, I would highly recommend a visit to Tamarind Tree or Green Leaf. Lots of stuff on these places if you google. Neither of these places would fit your criteria of "intimate and romantic", though.
Mar 13th, 2006, 01:58 PM

I think if you don't mind really walking or taking short cab rides, then the Sorrento might be just great for romance. Someone mentioned Hotel Andra, that might be worth looking at and reading reviews. It has a fantastic location too and the Dahlia Lounge does have great food as well. I agree with the Inn at the Market (might be a bit loud due to location) and The Alexis. I think the Monaco is more whimsy than garish but it would really be up to your own personal taste. The Sorrento is classy. Seattle is so seafood based and many upscale restaurants offer nice menus. Campagne is great. You might read reviews of Cascadia just to make sure it's still really good. For a fantastic view spot, you could consider Pallisades on the water. It would be a cab ride but the food is usually consistantly great and the water location can't be beat. It is not small and quiet though, if that's a consideration. Having said that, there are many places to choose from and consulting the concierge is an idea. Many places offer lunch menus so you might get two nice choices. Whatever you choose, I'm sure it'll all be perfect. It's just a city, the company you keep is most important!
Mar 21st, 2006, 12:50 AM

The Sorento hotel is beautiful! It's not the most convient of hotels but I think it's a bit quieter and the towncar service is convient.
Mar 21st, 2006, 07:46 AM

I have to harp in for the Grand Hyatt. I'm a bridal consultant and know the area hotels pretty well. The Grand Hyatt is luxurious. The rooms are well appointed, and none of the flowery bed sheets. It's all very contemporary and masculine. The upper levels have views of Lake Union and the Sound. Bathrooms are all 5-piece and gorgeously set up.

The Westin's upper levels may have arguably the best views. But the floor plan limits the size of the bathrooms. The beds however, are "heavenly".

The Sorrento has a lot of charm, but it's old. The elevator is painfully slow, and if there happens to be a wedding on the Penthouse, pray you don't try to arrive at the same time as the wedding guests. Their valet allows for a comfortable queue of maybe 5 cars. Otherwise, you're backed onto the neighboring streets.

The Sheraton is under construction, they are adding a new tower. Besides, its location only offers peek-a-boo views of Elliott Bay.

BTW, if you use hotwire, you can get the Grand Hyatt for under $200.
Mar 21st, 2006, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

lovesadventure-
Thank you for your reply. Is there a way to use hotwire and guarantee that I'll get the Grand Hyatt. If I could get into the Grand Hyatt for around $200 that would be our first choice. I've never used hotwire before but from what I can tell the name of the hotel isn't revealed until after you've commited. If we can't get find a lower price for the Grand Hyatt we are going to go with the Monaco. As wonderful as the Sorrento looks to us, since we are only going to be there one night- we want to be right downtown so we don't have to wait for the towncar or taxis. Thanks again to everyone for you help, we are heading up your way this weekend and couldn't be more excited for our romantic getaway.
Mar 21st, 2006, 10:55 AM

Kinsel, you'll need to open up 2 windows of hotwire. Search for your hotel only, and then do a separate search for your hotel and flight (package). You'll go off hotel location (downtown), star rating and the amenities. No guarantee, but I've used this method a number of times in a number of cities without issue.

Of course specific hotels on hotwire or other online companies will depend on their availability. I've booked the Grand Hyatt for OOT guests previously on Hotwire. But I can't guarantee that it's the only one with the same amenitites available.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO