Reload this Page >

Seattle at rush hour - heading to Olympia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 12:57 PM
Karen

We'll be arriving on a Tuesday at 4pm into Seattle airport, and will drive to Olympia directly after picking up a rental car. What's the traffic like in that direction at that time of day, mid-week? Just wondering if we should plan on an early dinner and let the traffic dwindle, or "plow ahead". Thanks in advance.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 01:32 PM
washingtonian

You can't eat slow enough to avoid the rush hour. I'd say plow ahead. Then listen to the traffic report, and if the road is closed ahead due to an accident, stop for dinner. It could take anywhere from 45 minutes to 3 hours. And I'm not kidding! One thing Washingtonians don't believe in, is highway engineering or road repair.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 01:45 PM
m

We live in the Seattle area and have to agree with the last poster. Traffic here is awful...pretty much any time of day. You definitely have to be in the mind frame of "we will get there when we get there" or you will go nuts

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 02:00 PM
lee

Hi Karen. I live in Olympia and travel to and from the airport a lot. It's about 50 miles in distance. You will be right in the middle of rush hour. Keep in mind that it will take you a little while to debark and get your rental car. So you'll probably won't be on the road until at least 5PM. We have only one main north/south interstate (I-5), and it becomes a parking lot between 3-6 pm on weekdays. I can drive to Sea_tac in 50 minutes in the morning from Olympia, but it routinely takes me between 2 - 3 hours driving south to Olympia from Sea-Tac in the afternoon, especially if there is an accident. Every once in a while you can make the drive without super heavy traffic, but that is a miracle and cannot be counted on. It will start clearing after 6, so maybe it is a good idea to eat dinner first. Have a great trip and let me know if there is anything I can help you with.

Lee

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 03:48 PM
John

If you are 2 or more, you can use the carpool lane which will speed things up before it ends around Federal Way, then it will likely be stop and go for the next 20 miles (through Tacoma.) Figure 60-90 min.; you might be surprised - some days it moves quite smoothly. Weather and time of year makes a difference - it's miserable in the dark and rain. If it was me I'd head on down the road.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 03:58 PM
Karen

Thanks, everybody for your quick replies! Looks like dinner first, then maybe hit the road about 6:30 or so. You've been a great help.