Seattle & Orcas island

Search

Seattle & Orcas island

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2010, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seattle & Orcas island

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions on my Pacific NW trip question a few days ago. So I've tentatively planned an itinerary to Seattle & Orcas island and wanted to get some feedback before I purchased plane tickets.

We are planning to fly into Seattle from LA on a Sunday and spend 2 nights - hopefully that'll give us enough time to see some of the main sights in the city. Then we will drive to Anacortes and take a ferry to Orcas island where we'll spend 3 nights (and maybe take a day trip to the San Juans). I'm hoping to do some easy hikes, whale watching and possibly take a sea kayaking excursion. Then we would take the ferry and head back to Seattle and spend a night before flying back home the next day. Initially I wanted to catch a flight back home the same day, but I was worried that we'd be too rushed and I'm not sure how reliable the ferries are. We would be on Orcas from Tues-Fri (6/8-6/11). Should we anticipate very long ferry waits?

Also, part of me wants to include a day (or overnight) trip to Victoria at the end of the trip but I don't know if we'll be too exhausted at that point to really enjoy it. I haven't really looked into it, but is there an option to travel to Victoria from Orcas island?

Thanks!
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 03:48 PM

For mid-week in June, I'd plan on ferry waits in the 60-90 minute range.

Your plan to not fly and ferry on the same day is a good one. Most of the time, you'd be fine, but you just never know.

There's not a day trip option from Orcas to Victoria but there's one ferry a day that stops at Orcas and goes on to Sidney which is just north of Victoria. So if you were to that on your last day, you could spend the night in Victoria and either take the ferry all the way back to Anacortes, or go on to Port Angeles and come back via the Olympic Peninsula. But honestly I think that's cramming too much in. IMO 3 nights/two full days is the minimum amount of time you should plan to spend in the islands.
Old May 1st, 2010, 07:21 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'd skip the Victoria idea in your short time frame. And I'd definitely not count on taking a ferry the same day as a flight. You'd probably be OK, but why stress out?
Old May 11th, 2010, 04:01 PM

Just remember with kayaking and whale whatching you have two of your days pretty occupied if you choose to do both. Give yourself one day to not do to much.
Old May 11th, 2010, 04:29 PM

You can also go to Lopez Island, in the San Juans, and rent bikes and ride around the island. If the weather is good, that is a lovely option.
Old May 13th, 2010, 03:53 PM

Orcas is also considered one of the San Juan Islands, but San Juan Island itself is the largest of the group of islands. Definitely, taking a ferry from Orcas and a flight on the same day is a bad idea...too many things can potentially go wrong and you would kill whatever relaxation you got on the trip. The San Juan Islands are great for both activity and relaxation...3 nights, 2 days is a minimum. On Orcas, go to Rose's Cafe in Eastsound for sure. Best lunch spot on the island. Make sure you bring some fleece for June; it can be quite chilly up there that time of year, especially in the mornings, evenings and on the water.

You're cramming a lot into a short amount of time, so I don't think Victoria is doable with this trip length. You would need to add a minimum 2 extra nights.
Old May 15th, 2010, 10:39 PM

Inn at Ship Bay for dinner is a must do! The Mountain Lake hike is an easy, lovely hike, stumble into Warm Valley Farm for some homespun wool, Crow Valley Pottery for some fun pottery serving pieces, Outer Island Expeditions will do any water experience you want. We had Capt. Matt all to ourselves for some fishing and wildlife viewing (had an eagle swoop down and grab a fish we threw back into the water!).
We thought the ferry rides were so relaxing and beautiful. Have fun!
Old May 17th, 2010, 10:46 AM

Personally, I think Victoria is just stunning. I'd drop one day from Orcas (which is small) and add one to Victoria. But if you're looking to sit and really relax, then I wouldn't. If you're keen to see stuff and be on the move, I would. Don't get me wrong, I like Orcas, it's charming.
Old May 17th, 2010, 11:32 AM

You can look at average wait times on the WA state ferries website to get an idea about wait times. I don't think you'll have long waits on those days, but I think it's always better to line up early. At both Anacortes and Orcas, once you're lined up you can go for a walk, sit and have coffee and enjoy the view, etc.

I also say skip Victoria, but Victoria doesn't do it for me in general, so I'm a bit biased. I second the rec for Rose's--it's great for all meals (though they don't serve dinner every day, I don't think). Inn at Ship Bay is good too.