Vancouver Island Getaway: Tofino & Victoria

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have planned other successful trips with the help of the Fodors Chat Board and looking for your advice/thoughts again. The DH and I are planning a trip in July to Vancouver Island for a little relaxation, hiking and taking in the beautiful scenery. A bit overwhelmed as to the best way to get there and itinerary. We have 7 days (including travel) and could possibly extend one more day if necessary. The primary focus is spending a minimum of 4 nights in Tofino, but since I have not been to Victoria we were thinking of spending a night there to enjoy the town and visit Buchart Gardens.

We are splurging on Tofino accommodations (hopefully staying at the Wickaninnish Inn) so we are trying to stay on a budget for everything else. Flying from Los Angeles to either Seattle or Vancouver. We expect to take some sort of ferry and rent a car (possibly once we arrive on Vancouver Island).

I will be 5 months pregnant at that time and we'd like to avoid an 8-10+ hour travel day if we can.

Seattle appears to be the least expensive flight, but the Clipper ferry is longer (approx 3 hr) and more costly than others (Port Angeles or Vancouver). Wondering if it's worth spending more on the flight and go into Vancouver and taking the ferry into Nanaimo? Or driving from Seattle to Port Angeles to take the ferry (the clipper is a passenger only ferry).

From what I understand it's approximately a 4-6 hour drive from Victoria to Tofino. Is this accurate?

How do you suggest we get there and plan our days? Comments on the below itineraries are welcome.

Initial itinerary if we fly into Seattle:
Day 1 - fly into Seattle; take afternoon Clipper ferry to Victoria (arrive 6pm); rent car and drive to Nanaimo to spend the night.
Day 2- 5 - drive to Tofino; relax, hike, explore
Day 6 - leave Tofino in the morning and drive to Victoria; explore Buchart Gardens late in the day. Spend night in Victoria.
Day 7 - take Clipper ferry to Seattle and fly home late evening.

Itinerary if we fly into Vancouver:
Day 1- fly into Vancouver; take ferry to Nanaimo; rent car. Depending on arrival times either drive to Tofino or spend night in Nanaimo.
Day 2-5 Tofino; relax, hike, explore
Day 6 - leave Tofino in the morning and drive to Victoria; spend afternoon/night in Victoria
Day 7 - explore Victoria in the morning; drive to Nanaimo; ferry to Vancouver; fly home

Help! My head is spinning! Thank you!
Old May 11th, 2010, 01:45 AM

Have you considered flying into Victoria? That's what I did last year.
Old May 11th, 2010, 04:03 AM

We are also heading to Tofino in July. Because of cost, we are flying into Seattle and driving to Port Angeles to take the ferry to Victoria. You really need to check car rental costs and airfare and then compare against travel times, using mapquest. A three hour ferry ride might be more relaxing than travel by car, especially when you are pregnant.
Old May 11th, 2010, 07:01 AM

My daughter and son-in-law flew to Seattle from NY last summer with their two little kids, and then took the ferry from Port Angeles to Sydney (just outside of Victoria). They did that partly on my advice because we took that ferry about 10 years ago and really enjoyed it. They were very pleased in general with the entire experience and would do it again. They rented a car in Seattle and found the whole process easy and affordable.

Especially if you're pregnant, I'd be cautious about the Clipper. It's known to make people seasick even if they're not usually susceptible. I haven't taken it myself so I can't give you a first-hand report, but I've heard it from more than one source here.
Old May 11th, 2010, 07:50 AM

Actually Meetshare the ferry from Port Angeles goes right into Victoria harbour (Coho). The ferry that goes to SIDNEY leaves from Anacortes which has only one sailing a day. The Port Angeles ferry is far more convenient with several sailings daily.
Old May 11th, 2010, 12:51 PM

Quite right, traveller69 - on both counts. I should stop trying to post things too early in the morning!
Old May 11th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated (especially the seasickness potential from the Clipper).

SusieQQ-I briefly looked into flying into Victoria and the costs were too expensive for us right now.

DigbyDog/Traveller 69/Meetshare- my husband took the Port Angeles ferry a long time ago and enjoyed it. I will take your advice and compare costs with renting car and driving to Port Angeles vs. travel times, etc.

I noticed that the Port Angeles ferry offers far more departure/return times than the Clipper and it's a shorter ride.

However, the airfare from LA to Vancouver just dropped and might be either the same or slightly less than flying to Seattle. It might be easier for us to do that instead of Seattle and we would avoid a long ferry ride or car ride to Port Angeles. Anyone take the BC Ferry or another ferry from Vancouver into Nanaimo? I noticed there are two different locations.
Old May 11th, 2010, 05:30 PM

On itinerary 2 you do not need to drive from Victoria back to Nananimo to get the ferry
you can take the ferry into nanaimo and back from Victoria
Old May 11th, 2010, 06:01 PM

Meetshare - I think it is just too much ice cream from Coombs!!!
Old May 11th, 2010, 09:12 PM

I always take the BC ferry from Tswassan because there are a lot of departures daily and because I think the scenery is nicer than the others - however- I ususally go in the off season so lineups at border not so much an issue as peak times.
Old May 11th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone!
Live42day- that is an excellent idea and I truly appreciate your advice. We will do that!

I actually got an incredible non-stop fare on West Jet to Vancouver so now it's onto booking a hotel for one night in Nanaimo and one night in Victoria. The bulk of our stay will be at the Wickaninnish Inn in Tofino.

Any recommendations for Nanaimo/Victoria hotels? Nothing too expensive, but clean and safe. We prefer boutique-type places, but given we are on a budget open to Best Western types as well.
Old May 12th, 2010, 08:35 AM

For Nanaimo you could stay at the Dorchester Hotel which is now a Best Western and right across from the harbour. THere is a nice sea wall walk around the harbour and some little shops on the wall as well as the front of the hotel has some great little shops on the downtown area. It is an older hotel with a bit of charm to it. Rates in summer if you book with the hotel on the website 7 day advance are just over $100
http://www.dorchesternanaimo.com/
Old May 12th, 2010, 11:16 AM

We stayed at Fairholme Manor in Victoria a few years ago. It is not right in town, but it is charming. http://www.fairholmemanor.com/
Old May 15th, 2010, 10:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for all of the advice. After checking availabilities and locations, we have booked the Dorchester Hotel in Nanaimo (Thanks again live42day!).

Since our time in Victoria is very limited, we are looking for a place to stay in town. (We will have a car so we can get to Buchart Gardens) Any advice or recommendations?

On a side note, I had read on Trip Advisor that there was a "bed bug" problem in Vancouver around the time the Olympics were happening. Anyone heard of this and if it was or is an issue on Vancouver Island?
Old May 16th, 2010, 07:15 AM

There are dozens of hotels to recommend but for value, comfort and excellent location I always recommend the Queen Victoria. http://www.qvhotel.com. There are boutique hotels as well but most are pricier. Let us know your budget. As for bed bugs - haven't heard of any problems whatsoever.
Old Jun 16th, 2010, 07:20 PM

kimberlyb - so your flying into Vancouver, drive to Horseshoe Bay to take the Ferry to Nanaimo? Definitely wise to take the ferry back from Victoria to either Horseshoe Bay again, or Tswassen (lived here 30 years and STILL can't spell it right).

Anyways, about the bed bugs? Live here, work downtown, and was here before and during the olympics and never heard one word about bed bugs. I heard that Seattle was having a bed bug problem!

Anyhoo....I imagine if you stay at a higher end, reputable hotel you won't experience any problems...if there were any real problems to begin with.

My DH and I are heading to Tofino next Friday for two nights - never been and very excited!