Reload this Page >

seattle 6 days, best day trip(s)?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 10:08 PM
mickey

I would love to see as much as possible. I know the weather could seriously dampen the sight-seeing, but there seems to be quite a variety. If you had to choose 1 place that I must go to where would it be? Also where would be a great place to stay overnight?

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 07:03 AM
John

When? Alone? Car?

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 07:15 AM
dontvisitWA

I would choose not to come to Seattle. There are more exciting places to visit.

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 07:25 AM
mickey

John-
When: July 19-24
With my girlfriend
No car as of yet.

We have made hotel reservations in downtown for the entire stay, and have made up our minds to explore the city for the weekend. However, on Monday morning we'd like to be able to take a very nice scenic journey and possibly end up in a B&B for a night or 2 before we return back to the city on Wed.
We would like a relaxing, slow paced destination to contrast Seattle's hustle & bustle (what is bustle?)
I know we can't see it all but what would you do?

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 09:26 AM
Polly

Several things come to mind:

Mt Raynier is spectacular depending on the time of year. It is not accessible year-round. We enjoyed just driving the highway around the mountain with stops at viewpoints, brief hikes and a short time at Paradise Lodge and the visitor's center. Paradise Lodge might be a good place to stay as a base for a couple of days.

Take the ferry across the bay and drive to Port Townsend, a beautiful little town filled with history and beautiful old buildings. In addition, there is a base of some kind there (can't remember what right now) where "An Officer and A Gentleman" was filmed. They have a neat little museum hosted by residents well versed in the history of the area. Surely, there are B&B's there.

Take the ferry to Friday Harbor in the San Juan islands. There are B&B's there. That island also has a unique history. Drive the buocolic island. In the right time of the year, you can see the whales off shore.

Do a websearch to find lodging in either of these areas...or perhaps someone else can remember what I cannot.

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 04:21 PM
John

Polly's idea is probably the best. From Seattle, head north a half an hour to the turnoff for the Mukilteo ferry (SR 526 or the "Boeing Freeway.") You'll pass the biggest building in the world, the 747 assembly building - stop for a tour if you're interested in big planes and big everything. Cross from Mukilteo to Whidbey Island on the car ferry (20 min. every half hour or so.) Stop for a coffee or late breakfast in Langley, a very cute village on Whidbey. Continue up the island till you see the sign for the Port Townsend ferry. Cross over to Port Townsend for the evening. There are many wonderful B&Bs in PT - see http://www.porttownsend.org for links.

The next day make a day trip to Port Angeles and a drive up to Hurricane Ridge in Olympic NP, about a half hour from downtown PA. Alternatively, if you feel energetic you can travel as foot passengers on the ferry across to Victoria BC for the day from PA. For an okay (at best) meal, but in a very scenic place, you can eat lunch or dinner at the 3 Crabs in Dungeness, on the Strait north of Sequim ("Skwim") a few miles east of PA. Note all the lavender farms in the Sequim area, which in July ought to be great. Return to Port Townsend for the night.

Return to Seattle via the Bainbridge Island Ferry (101 south to the cutoff) rather than retracing your steps. The ferry lands in downtown Seattle. At sunset this ride is gorgeous.

Happy planning!

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 10:34 AM
topper

to the top

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 07:10 PM
seattlesoul

definitely San Juan Islands or Victoria. Victoria is a very interesting place!

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 07:30 PM
Polly

Victoria is a WON-derful place. I just dont see it as the 'laid back,' relaxing destination Mickey is looking for.

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 07:55 PM
julie

I live in Seattle. Things to do on a day trip...Here's my favs. Pike Street Market, Seattle Center, Ferry to Bainbridge, Harbor tour, and take the Clipper to Victoria for the day, or have them arrange an overnight. Go to Friday Harbor (fun to walk around), or to Pioneer Square if you like art and museums, or walk along the waterfront (Waterfront park). Go visit the U. of Wash. All these things are close to the city. If you get a car, go east on I-90 to Snoqualmie Falls (spectacular) and if you have a full day, go to Mt. Rainer. Get on the internet and find more stuff. I have lived here most of my life, and never run out of stuff to see. Oh yes, there is an 'underground' tour you can take of Seattle of the Klondike days. lots of wonderful restaurants, or rent a sailboat. Go to the Seattle Art Museum (a world class collection of asian art (jade)) or take in a symphony. Just enjoy

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 08:22 PM
Paula

I live in Seattle too and love it. You mentioned the weather possibly putting a "damper"on things, so I thought I'd pass on some information from yesterdays Seattle Times re. the weather to help you plan. Driest summer days are as follows: in July --30, 21, 22, 28, 24, 27; in Augsut--1, 4, 8, 9. There's often a chance of rain here, but that's one of the reasons this is one of the greenest, lushest places in this country. Hope you have a great time.

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 10:48 PM
ldsant

I too live in SEA and would suggest the following to what has already been mentioned:

1. Drive to Snoqualmie. Hike down to the falls (this is where Twin Peaks was filmed) and hike back. Visit the train museum and eat amazing caramel corn at the Snoqualmie Candy Factory/diner.

2. I would definitely encourage you to visit Mt. St. Helens. If you are not from the NW or Hawaii, seeing this volcano is amazing. The visitor's site is extremely well done. Only caveat: leave SEA very early in the AM so that you aren't sitting in traffic all day and fighting crowds. It's a great walk and tour.

3. Inn at Langley is gorgeous and restful. It's a very nice B&B.

4. Finally, as with the other posters - weather isn't an issue right now - the last few days it's been high 70s with a gorgeous breeze.

Enjoy your trip to the Emerald City!

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 05:05 AM
tom

my top for picks would be...
1. olympic national park, not many ppl get to see a rainforrest.
2. victoria island, the gardens are beautiful.
3. mt. st helens, you get to see a volcano and the destruction it can cause.
4. if you are into it, go diving in puget sound. it is a famous place for scuba diving.

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 10:08 AM
Sally

Take a ferry to Victoria, BC. Stay a full day.

Be sure to have high tea
Goto dinner at Paliachi's (sp?)
Walk sea wall
See China Town
Goto Buchart gardens

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 07:57 PM
John R

HI: I'd reccomend also the Ballard locks, which moves ships and boats between the salt water of the sound and the inland lakes. Its easy to get to, its free, and although not a day trip, you can spend an hour or two and its neat. On the other side of the locks you can see salmon jumping and the salmon run, and theres a nice little park to access and watch. Granted, it might not sound like much, but everytime I take someone there they are amazed and thrilled. Also, the numbers of locals youll see and meet there proves its still a hit and in alot of ways captures the essence of Seattle. Yours, JR