Reload this Page >

Seaside, Florida ... review and charm

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2001, 10:32 PM
amanda

Relax, enjoy life and indulge in this beautiful, charming new urbanism Gulf Coast town about 30 miles west of panama city...

Perfect for a romantic weekend getaway, Seaside Florida is oh so quaint and was Home to the Truman Show... yes, that quaint town is REAL!!!! You can even stay in the TRUMAN house if you wish...

We Recommend HoneyMoon Beachside Cottage #6. about $330/ night http://www.seasidefl.com

Cottage is lovely, first floor has a beautiful bedroom, with an ocean cottage bed in white, hardwood flors and door leads to screened in porch with sunken jacuzzi tub... you can here the ocean crashing from the porch on the white beach... after relaxing in the tub, enjoy an old fashion steam sauna in the first floor shower while wearing your soft, white robe,,,(find them in the closet) in the morning head upstairs and start a fire in the cast iron fire place, then make a cup of coffee and go out the second floor door onto the upstairs open porch, sit a while on your adirondick rocking chairs and feel empowered by the clear blue ocean...

Everything in Seaside is in walking distance, walk or ride a bike around town... Each house is "named" by the proud owners... Look at the art village, have a bite or go shopping, relax on the beach, Play tennis, croquet or go swimming...

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 05:02 AM
susan

I'll overlook the fact that this is blatant advertising (which is expressly forbidden by Fodor's rules) and go straight to "charming" Seaside. My husband and I drove through there last summer for the first time in years and found it to be a crowded, tacky tourist trap.

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 05:11 AM
OliveOyl

Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but this has the distinct ring of an advertisement and we all know those rules!

We happened on Seaside as it was just getting started, probably about 15 years (?) ago. It was charming then, some cute shops, a few scattered cottages, the teeny post office, one great restaurant on the beach, but on a return trip through about 8 years ago, I found it *faaar* less charming. The occasional Victorian cottage we saw initially was now a sea of them, and like Celebration, FL, a bit too unreal for my tastes. It became too much of a good thing. The beaches in that area (the entire FL panhandle) are some of the most gorgeous there are in the entire country, but my own feeling is that Seaside has been overdone, a good idea taken too far. Perhaps if I hadn't seen it initially I wouldn't have the sense that I do now, that it's been spoiled.

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 06:27 AM
amanda

"Excellence is always opposed by mediocre minds..."

It is a shame that the two of you mistake my trying to post a quality review as advertising... alas, it is not... my husband and myself stayed there in february and enjoyed it...i stand by my recommendation and challenge you both to find a cottage experience so delightful...

i also reviewed the hudson hotel in ny, and the Presidents Quarters Bed and breakfast in Savannah and, if you fall upon it will find it has the same feel...

please do not mistake quality information with advertising... this is equivelant to a teacher telling a child that does A homework that his/her parent helped them just because they keep scoring 100%...

I use this board as a resource and would appreciate quality and descriptive info, therefore, when i post i do same.

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 02:11 PM
Patrick

I don't want to get into the advertising argument, but I must say too that it seemed to be worded like one. As to Seaside. Yes, I've been there and I agree with the above posters. Years ago it was such a clever idea and so serene and neat. Now you park in big special parking areas and follow the crowds of tourists winding their way through this overbuilt maze of "cottages". If you are in the area it is still fun to see it because it is unique. But to me it really now seems like an overbuilt tourist trap and so "plastic", not a place I'd want to relax and stay. We were very aware of people staying in cottages having to keep their blinds pulled, because there were so many people walking by their "quaint" little cottage that there was no privacy at all.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 08:25 AM
KB

Anyone who knows anything about Seaside Florida knows that they don't need to resort to tricks and gimmicks to get people to come to their resort. This place is 100% booked up all summer long. We've been to Seaside the past four summers in a row and have always enjoyed it. The cottages are great and the beaches are some of the most beautiful I've ever seen. Its great to just park the car for a week and be able to walk to everything you need. I highly recommend it.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 08:59 AM
Paige

KB - we are looking at Seaside as a possibility for next year's Spring Break in March. Want to stay away from College Spring Breakers. Two families looking for info on lodging and restaurants. Can you recommend either?

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 09:17 AM
Surf Wiley

Seaside is for people who have no imagination.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 07:07 AM
KB

College spring breakers would have no interest in Seaside I'm sure. They all go to Destin or Panama City. The lodging in Seaside is all done through a management company. Go to www.seasidefl.com and you can see the cottages. The big ones are expensive but if you are splitting it with other families it really isn't that bad. As for restaurants in town, its mostly nice sandwhich shops and the like. All the cottages have kitchens, so you can prepare you own food it you want. There is one little store in Seaside but the groceries are really expensive so its best to stop at a grocery store in Destin or along the way and buy your groceries there. I know a lot of people on this post knock Seaside for being tacky and touristy, but that is not what I saw at all. I found it relaxing and charming and a welcome relief from a cookie cutter hotel room with a Chili's in the parking lot. I love Seaside and would recommend it to anyone who asked.

Old Aug 10th, 2013, 04:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My wife and I honeymooned in Seaside five years ago and this is our sixth time to return. We have always visited in the off season and everything has been great..until now. I am writing this review from the beach. I had to come out here at 6:30 a.m. So I could stake my claim to the 50 linear feet of beach patrons of seaside are allowed to place their own chairs. The company that puts the blue rental chairs on the beach apparently has the ENTIRE BEACH for the rental chairs so unless you are one of the first ten people on the beach, be prepared to pay $100+ per couple for the privelege of sitting there.

Happy hour At the "Great Southern Cafe" has always been something I look forward to, but after waiting 15 minutes after ordering for one drink and the next taking another 20 minutes to recieve after ordering, my wife and I decided to leave there. Yesterday we visited the "taco bar" because the margaritas there are excellent. Too bad the staff is rude. Maybe that is why they automatically add 15% gratuity to every order.

In an ongoing effort to provide Seaside with the benefit of the doubt, we had dinner last night at the "Pizza Bar". I ordered the Bruschetta. Apparently the interpretation here is simply sliced tomato drizzled with olive oil. Yummy. Oh yeah, go ahead and order liqour or beer because refills on tea and soft drinks are $1.00 each. Tacky to say the least. And please don't be so bold as to ask for a little more marinara sauce to add to the light basting on your son's spaghetti, that will be another .50 cents. Seriously, another .50 cents. I am at Seaside. why don't you just charge more? Don't insult your patrons with petty charges and fees!

To top it all off, the house we stayed in was a bit dirty. All the air vents has alot of black dust / lint as did the ceiling fans. One of the bathroom sinks was clogged up as well, but to their credit that was fixed after we called.

The bottom line is if you are looking for a nice, quaint place to spend your time and money, Seaside is NOT it. At least during the peak season.
Old Aug 10th, 2013, 05:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am absolutely laughing at this as I sit here on the beach in South Florida!!!
Old Aug 10th, 2013, 06:24 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Eleven years later..