Reload this Page >

searching-Quality of life

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2002, 04:13 PM
nancy

Researching a move from the east to either Georgia or North Carolina.Hoping to find an excellent school system,small suburb,top health care area.I've heard the traffic complaints;it's in every city.Any advice from you locals on where to live;why you love your town?Love the beach,but I'll stay inland.I need my house to still be standing after a storm.HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Old Jan 1st, 2002, 05:15 PM
c

I grew up in Charlotte NC and live in NY now-so I know the difference in north vs south lifestyles,etc.Also lived in So California..my brother still lives in a small city outside of Charlotte.If you are from a large city and enjoy the bustle and activities you are able to enjoy in that environment,you might take a long time getting used to the slower pace and lifestyle of the South.If you move to a fast growing town, some of them are having problems keeping up with the growth, schools and municipal problems resulting.
My years in NC were perfect- but based a lot on the fact that my grandfather had owned a dairy farm at one time and had by the time I came along, converted the land into homes, a lake for fishing, and a huge garden for himself..so I had a tremendous amount of freedom.Schools were good, after school was better My mother was from California, and I know it took her years to adjust..I have heard a lot about some suburbs of Atlanta,but from friends who have million dollar homes, so I don't know if that applies to you It sure doesn't apply to me! Have you been to these places much yet? Best way to check them out is to pick out a couple and take as many trips as you can, at different times of the year..We are thinking of the same thing, but not south...cannot decide which direction-at least you have some sort of idea! Hope I have been a little help..C {PS} Get some issues of Southern Living Magazine for ideas also~

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 05:14 AM
xxx

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 06:15 AM
chuck

nancy,

Obviously "quality of life" may have a different meaning for each of us. My own experience can be reduced to three primary components of "quality."
1. Who I am with
2. What I am doing (e.g., job, hobbies, interests)
3. Where I am (primary residence and travel, of course)

Since I believe your question is focused on the "where I am" part, I will speak up for Winston-Salem NC. My wife and I spent 14 very happy years there before moving to the coast.

What we liked:
Small city (approx. 150,000 population) in a relatively large metro area (Greensboro, W/S, High-Point approx. 1 million pop. I believe).
Slow pace, with a fairly healthy arts community. No real traffic to speak of (especially compared to Charlotte). A good number of nice restaurants, as well as neighborhood favorites.
Several colleges: Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem State, and Salem College, as well as the NC School of the Arts.
WFU Medical School and the several hospitals in town provide excellent health care for a city this size.
There is some preservation of history, which unfortunately is unusual for western North Carolina--W/S has Old Salem and Bethabara (18th century settlements, with Old Salem as W/S's version of Williamsburg). The mountains (Blue Ridge Parkway, etc.) are approx. 1.5 to 2 hours away. You can get to the coast in about 4 hours.

W/S is a place that grows on you, and that you slowly become part of. You would not move to W/S for loads of professional opportunities or a growing business community. But it is a community that has a soul and enough diversity that you can usually make good connections with people who share your interests.

If you visit, I suggest you stay at the Brookstone Inn (near downtown), walk to and within Old Salem. Have dinner at South by Southwest (just across the street from the hotel). Get some fresh bread and pastries at Ollie's, also near the hotel. Also, have dinner at Noble's (probably W/S's best restaurant, although there are certainly a few other contenders), or at Zevely House if you liked the feel of Old Salem. You may want to venture out to Wake Forest's campus, especially Reynolda Village and Gardens. Just west of W/S (on I-40) is Tanglewood Park, which is a nice place to walkk around, as is Salem Lake to the east of town.

If you have specific questions I'll be glad to answer them. It's impossible to give more than a brief snapshot in this post.

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 06:28 AM
Liz

I once lived in NC for a couple of years and have positive things to say about Asheville and Chapel Hill. Both are lovely, charming, and walkable. And liberal/artsy, which I favor. Greensboro/Piedmont Triad didn't do much for me--very suburban, strip-mally. Have you checked out Wilmington? I never got there, so can't say anything about that. Oh, but Charlotte seemed kind of a mess to me--a wannabe Atlanta. Which is fine if you love Atlanta, but I don't.

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 07:09 AM
Owen O'Neill

You might investigate New Bern (or Berne?) NC. It's a short ways up the river from Wilmington. I have a friend who relocated there from the northeast a few years back when her company moved there. She doesn't have kids so I can't offer perspective on the quality of schools but she is very satisfied with the quality of life.

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 08:54 AM
Arabella

I live in Charlotte and I'm extremely happy here. It's a fun, friendly and beautiful town. Traffic isn't a problem if you choose to live near your office, which is the easiest way to reduce stress in your life.

Good luck on finding your new home.

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 06:53 PM
ttttt

topping for nan

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 05:36 AM
laura

If you're from the Northeast, Charlotte's traffic is nothing! I'm from NJ and love living in Charlotte. The climate is great, the people are great, and I think there's a lot to do here. 2 hours to the mountains and 2-3 hours to the beach. It is more of a big town than a city. Health care here is big business, and I've had pretty good experiences with it. Schools are controversial right now - go to charlotte.com to read the latest. Not a problem for me, since I don't have kids! Winston-Salem is nice also - very quaint and full of down-to-earth folks. Charlotte is a bit yuppyish - gets tiresome every now and then. Good luck!

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 05:16 PM
good person

There are some great places in NC.Chapel Hill area - Let's help Nan out here with more suggestions!

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 06:44 PM
T.T.

To the moon . . .

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 07:01 PM
linda

Stay away from Atlanta! Too big & crowded.

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 04:34 AM
Roger

I'd suggest Wilmington or New Bern. They're small towns, not suburbs. Wilmington does have it's sprawl, especially toward Wrightsville Beach. Schools in the city of Wilmington are bad but, for public, suburban schools in New Hanover County are OK. In my mind, good public schools don't exist. I consider most of them brainwashing centers. Wilmington is half-an hour from Topsail Island where I vacation- been going back for 35 years. New Bern is close to Emerald Island, Atlantic Beach and Moorehead City.