Reload this Page >

Seagrove, NC - Pottery

Search

Seagrove, NC - Pottery

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 07:08 AM
xx

Seagrove, NC - Pottery

I'll be in Seagrove, NC this Saturday looking at the different pottery stores. I realize the pottery is not cheap, but can anyone tell me the names of some of the more inexpensive pottery establishments there? Your help is most appreciated!

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 07:26 AM
ncgrrl

there is a visitor's center/museum/dealership with signs from the highway to it. You will pass several potteries on the way to the center. At each shop there is a brochure with a map showing all the places where you can buy pottery. Several stores are co-ops or someother fancy term where more than one dealer's stuff is for sale. I have bought vases for $20 for some of these shops.

I'm not sure if it's this weekend or one in a couple of weeks, there will be a pottery festival at Seagrove Elementary School. I know it is before Thanksgiving.

And I'm pretty sure there is a website for Seagrove Pottery. You might want to try looking at the visitnc website (I not sure if it's visitnc.com or .gov)

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 09:54 AM
SA

In Seagrove they have a new pottery center w/examples of many of the potters work. The expensive ones are Ben Owen III & Phil Morgan, I'll recommend stopping by their shops though to see the fine quality work that they do. Also, Fat Beagle, Holly Hill (for everyday dishes) & Blue Moon Gallery has a large collection from different potters. Make a day of it, their are many 80+ in the area. You are bound to find something you like. Try ncpotterycenter.com, cclay.com., or discoverseagrove.com.

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 09:56 AM
SA

There is a printable map on the discover seagrove site which may help you plot a course & get statted.

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 10:50 AM
ncgrrl

Thanks SA. I sometimes wonder if it is worth posting when I only have vague information. But when it's followed up by someone who knows the details it's a big help.

The lead glaze is beautiful but it is not for anything that might have food in it. They no longer make plates or glasses with the lead glaze. All items with a lead glaze should say "not for food use."

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 10:54 AM
xx

ncgrrl and SA, you've both been helpful, and I really appreciate your responding!

Anybody else?

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 05:49 AM
xx

ttt

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 06:20 AM
SA

NCgirl is correct & most places do make it clear what items can or can not be used for food products, if microwaveable, oven safe, etc. We have many decorative pieces as well as dishes & glasses we use everyday as well.