Palestine Texas

Apr 22nd, 2003, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Palestine Texas

I am trying to gather information for a possible relocation to Palestine, Tx.
Can anyone out there help me?
To start off, I am wanting to locate a few nice neighborhoods (150,000 +)
Any help is appreciated!
Apr 22nd, 2003, 08:45 AM

I have a couple of numbers that should be helpful:
Palestine Convention & Visitors Bureau- 903-723-3014
Palestine Economic Development Corporation- 903-729-4100 & 903-729-7550.
Palestine's population is nowhere near the 150,000+ range that you mentioned. The Tyler area would probably be closer to that.
Apr 22nd, 2003, 08:52 AM
OliveOyl

I think maybe $150,000 jj127?

I have a BB friend that lives outside of Palestine TxTravelPro, and if I'm not mistaken that's where she goes for her shopping...I'll see if I can lure her over...

Apr 22nd, 2003, 09:27 AM

Oops, you're right OliveOyl - that's what I get for reading this at work!
Where in Palestine does your friend shop? - there's not really much there.

Meadowbrook Country Club area is a good neighborhood. The Visitors Bureau will be able to help you on the neighborhoods.
Apr 22nd, 2003, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks... I have lived in Sachse my entire life with family in Tyler but no one knows much about the neighborhoods around Palestine, it seems.
My Dad mentioned Rusk, too.
Any additional info is great! I will also take your advise and call the CVB.
Thx!
Apr 22nd, 2003, 10:17 AM

Hello, TxTravelPro. I'm that friend of Oliveoyl that she mentioned and also lured. First let me tell you that your neighborhood of 150,000 isn't a possibility in Palestine. Here is a little info...

"Palestine is located in the central part of East Texas, 108 miles southeast of Dallas, 150 miles north of Houston, 99 miles northeast of Waco and 180 miles northeast of Austin.

The total population of Palestine in 1990 was 18,042. Since then, it has grown to an estimated 20,000."

The main industry, if you want to call it that, is 5 state pens.

Now, in defense of Palestine, may I say that it is a lovely old Southern town. What it lacks in convenience, it makes up for with charm. There is a rather low crime rate and it's a very clean city.

Tyler is about 50 miles from Palestine and it has a population of about 175,000. Tyler is a beautiful and comparatively sophisticated city. It is the rose capital of Texas.

If I can answer any questions for you, I'll be happy to do so.
Apr 22nd, 2003, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Hi Gabby,
So if you were moving from a 2 year old $200,000 home in Sachse (Collin Co.) to Palestine, where would you find the new neighborhoods? Is Rusk nicer? Athens?
My family is from Tyler but it's a little too far to commute everyday IMO.
Thanks, in advance!
Apr 22nd, 2003, 11:36 AM
OliveOyl

Thanks Gabs, I appreciate your registering and popping in. Didn't realize Palestine too was part of the jail system! The Houston dentist who drove over her husband a few times ended up going to Gatesville while we were there.

Apr 22nd, 2003, 12:25 PM

$150,000 in Palestine will buy a VERY nice house, probably near the lake and/or with some land. Find a good local Realtor who can help with the specifics.

As Gabby mentions, Texas Dept. of Corrections has 5 maximum-security facilities near Palestine (in Tennessee Colony, to be exact), and is the area's major employer. You'll notice the folks in gray uniforms who are guards at the facilities. It's a pretty blue-collar town. The other main industry is the railroad switchyard.

Not much shopping in Palestine besides the Super Wal-Mart and the small mall. Most folks go to Tyler.

El Toro Mexican food (by the mall) and Shep's BBQ (on the loop) are the best places to eat!
Apr 22nd, 2003, 02:36 PM

TxTravelPro...There are at least 2 very nice subdivisions...one near the Country Club where you can find nice homes in the 150 to 200,000 dollar range. Most will include some land. Actually, I live about 17 miles south of Palestine on a cattle ranch and so I'm not all that familiar with real estate in Palestine. A good realtor can help you find just what you want. You are right about Tyler being a much too long for a daily commute. Athens would be better than Rusk if you can stand that much of a commute. There are some beautiful homes on Palestine Lake as ChristyP suggests.

ChristyP are you from the Palestine area? Don't forget Laffite's, Coffee Landing and The Ranch House...all those are good, too.

OliveOyl...no problem, girl friend. Yes..Palestine is certainly a large part of the prison system in Texas. With the decline of the railroad we needed something and this is what we got.
Apr 23rd, 2003, 05:16 AM

No, I'm not from Palestine! I DID work at a Girl Scout camp near there for 5 summers, and I still volunteer there when I can. That part of East Texas is very pretty, especially when the dogwoods are in bloom.

I have several friends who live in/near Montalba, which is just north of Palestine on Hwy. 19. There are some nice homes in that area, and it would only be a 20-30 minute drive into town.

Coffee Landing is very good. I haven't been there in many years.
Apr 23rd, 2003, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, all...
The reach of this board is amazing.
I check it periodically just to see if I can help a fellow traveler. I hesitated to post a relo question about Palestine thinking no one would respond.
Wow! Thanks for all the help!