Seabrook vs. Wild Dunes

Search

Seabrook vs. Wild Dunes

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seabrook vs. Wild Dunes

I am looking for a deluxe 2 bdrm. ocean front villa for next June. I have it narrowed down to Port O'Call villas in Wild Dunes or the Atrim Villas in Seabrook. I am wondering if one of these is nicer than the other?
Old Dec 25th, 2005, 03:07 PM

I can tell you the villas in Wild Dunes are very nice because I have stayed in one. The beach is great and the proximity to the Charleston area is more convenient. You are looking at least a 45 minute drive from Seabrook into Charleston and restaurants are limited.
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 07:23 AM

Hi,
Stayed at the Boardwalk Hotel at Wild dunes last June...its very nice and close to Charleston. The area around the hotel is very congested...overbuilt to put it mildly. But alot of the condos along the ocean front looked like very nice places to stay. Just do some checking on the condition of the condo you are renting. Some reviews on the internet say that some condos are better than others depending on the owner. It all boils down to what type of vacation you like...the Kiawah area is nice and relatively quiet, not as much to do as the Wild Dunes area (given that Charleston is just a hop skip and a jump away.) I stayed at the Dunes because I have two sons that need alot of activity. They would have gone crazy if we stayed in the Kiawah (Seabrook) area.
Both areas are nice...probably can't lose any way you slice it...
Good Luck!
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 07:27 AM
GoTravel

Seabrooke is more remote and is a barrier island south of Charleston.

Wild Dunes is very family oriented on Isle of Palms/Sullivans Island which is a barrier island north of Charleston.

Is this for family? Golf? Do you want to visit downtown?

Old Jan 18th, 2006, 12:03 PM

Wild Dunes hands down. 20 mins from Charleston tons of unique restaurants in Shem Creek, Isle of Palms, Sullivans Island to enjoy as well if you don't want to go downtown. Also, Port O Call is down a way from the Hotel the beach will not be croweded at all. You can't go wrong in Wild Dunes.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 06:22 AM

I lived in Charleston for 4 years some time back, and get to Charleston about every other year.

Wilde Dunes is my vote too.

I have heard it said that the villas are not very big, but the Inn is extremely nice, and there are enough restaraunts that you need not go into Charleston if you don't want to.

Try The Boathouse on the Isle of Palms. They have a deck on the roof where you can watch the dolphins feed in the inlet at sunset while you wait for your table.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 07:11 AM

You would be very happy with Port o Call in Wild Dunes. I would definitely prefer that over the Kiawah/Seabrook area.
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 06:03 PM

Another vote here for Wild Dunes. We rent there annually and our favorite location is Mariner's Walk. I also agree with another poster about ensuring the condition of your condo at Port O'Call. Many of them have been recently renovated inside and out but those that haven't are worse for wear.
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 07:48 PM

when I read these posts, I'm not really picking up that one is 'nicer' than the other, just that Wild Dunes has a better general location than Seabrook. Taking traffic and congestion into consideration, I'm not sure that's true...

The Atrium Villas are centrally located on the island to the pool, beachfront deck chairs, and dining. Since they are privately owned, condition varies from unit to unit.

You can drive to larger expanses of beach that are minutes away. Its easy to ride bikes- and the golfing & tennis are excellent. Its about a 35 minute drive to downtown and there are a variety of restaurants on the resort and on Bohicket/Johns Island/Kiawah that you may find interesting. Depending on the time of year, there are various activities for kids available.

Seabrook often gets lumped in with Kiawah b/c of location, but its very different. I agree with the earlier post that you probably can't lose on this choice!