Seabrook Island Information

Apr 17th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Seabrook Island Information

My husband and I are planning a trip to Seabrook Island in late June and was wondering if anyone had any kind of review of the island/beach/privacy etc..We are looking for moderate - expensive accomadations on a private beach but close enough to Charleston that we can go back and forth to tour (we don't mind a 30-1 hr drive). Any info about the island or surrounding islands would be much appreciated. Also, can anyone give me "dress code" suggestions for Charleston? Recommended restaurants such as Pooghans Porch, Jestines, S.N.O.B etc..dress code?

Thanks lots!
May 13th, 2005, 05:49 PM

Have you already booked a place on Seabrook?
May 16th, 2005, 11:19 AM

As a disclaimer, I should say that we own a place at Kiawah. We looked at Seabrook and did not buy there so I bring certain opinions to the question.

Overall, the beach at Seabrook is much more eroded and not as long or as wide as Kiawah, its next door neighbor. The island is much more residential and does not provide much visitor infrastructure on Seabrook itself.

All of the restaurants, top golf courses, and shopping are off island. That is not to say that they are inconvenient. They are just not part of Seabrook. You will be driving to almost everything.

Seabrook is significantly less expensive than Kiawah and the trade off may be worth it.

Charleston in summer is casual, the only way to survive the high temperatures. Don't worry about a dress code. Wear a nice sundress or white pants and a nice shirt and you'll fit right in.

May 16th, 2005, 02:12 PM

I agree that Seabrook is less touristy than Kiawah and that's why we like it. While to beach is not as long, there still PLENTY to walk and walk. In fact, you can walk for a long while and not run into many people, another reason we like it. There are TWO restaurants on the island and the golf courses are great.

Also agree that you can go into almost any restaurant in town in casual dress. Charleston is my favorite city! You will love it.
May 16th, 2005, 02:55 PM

We travel to Seabrook yearly to visit family, and here are some of the things we like:

There is a "big beach" and a "little beach". The big beach faces out to the ocean, is wide and flat and long. For us, it requires a little bit of logistics as far as packing, driving and walking the long walkway that connects the beach to parking. Shelling has been great there, and the waves are pretty good.

As we have had children, we find that we are drawn more to the "little beach". The beach is not as wide, and the waves are not as full, since its not right on the ocean. The walk to the beach is shorter from the parking, though.

Pelican Watch villas look right over the little beach, and the Spinnaker villas (most overlook the golf course) are a short walk away from there. The accommodations that are closest to the pool and restaurant complex are the Atrium Villas (some have oean view).

We also love the pool area. There are 3 pools (one just for tykes). Close to the pools is a beachy area that overlooks the ocean. Lots of deck chairs available to either sit by the pool, or the ocean. Also in this area is a bar, and they usually set up a grill tent for casual lunch in the summer. There is a full-service restaurant here, too that overlooks the ocean (Cap'n Sams I think is the name) I love the seafood platter there!

We rarely go to the main restarant, which is near the golf course, not because of quality, but because we are creatures of habit! Check out Rosebank Farms Cafe in the Bohicket Marina Village that you pass on the right on your way to SI.

Seabrook is great for riding bikes, and the tennis courts are good,too. Enjoy your trip!