So how about Mrytle Beach?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19th, 2011, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got some very helpful answers about Biloxi and it's still in the running but now we're considering Myrtle Beach for a few days in February.

SO will golf, I'd like to browse some shops, maybe go to the hotel spa. We'd like some moderately-priced restaurants...you know, stuff to do when he's not on the golf course.

I've looked at several Myrtle Beach threads and I have a few questions --

There seems to be a difference between Myrtle Beach and North Myrtle Beach. Which one do you think will give us what we want? We like a lively rather than quiet area. We like to walk, window shop, browse the stores, etc.

Do we need to be on the beach?

Is it a safe town for walking around?

I think the airport mentioned is Brunswick. How far a drive is that from MB (or NMB)?

On expedia, I noticed an interesting looking place called ResortQuest. It looked like it had its own sort of main street area. Do you know anything about this? What do you think of it?

Any hotel suggestions for us?

Any other info you can give me would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance?
Old Dec 19th, 2011, 07:59 PM

Hi,
The Myrtle Beach area is a long 30 mile strip of condo's - resorts - lots of golf courses - restaurants and shopping.

During Feb some restaurants are closed as this is considered
the off season - however, the rates are cheap - Oceanfront
is my choice whenever possible. Nothing like the sound of the waves. Condo's can be as cheap as $50 night - on the beach.

Walking around -- there is not really a town - area - to walk around -- you will find 2 areas of shopping and restaurants and entertainment- Barefoot Landing ( NMB ) which has 6-10 restaurants - 50+ shops and Alabama Theater and House of Blues.The 2nd is Broadway at the Beach - similar type of area with restaurants, shops, Palace Theater, Aquarium.
Neither of these are within walking distance to the beach.

You will find Marriott has a beautiful resort on the beach. You might also try www.vrbo.com / or Myrtlebeach.com

The main hwy is Hwy 17 and then the numbered streets run from the ocean to Hwy 17 -
NMB has the same type of numbered streets.

If you like golf - nice restaurants and shopping - you may also like Litchfield Beach - Litchfield by the Sea. which is about 15 miles south of MB - and offers very nice spa, and condo's. It has much more of a resort feel.
Pawley's Island is the adjoining town and very quaint - and great restaurants and shopping. 8 or more golf courses within 5 miles --

The Myrtle Beach airport is located in the southern area of MB.

You may also want to look at Hilton Head Island - Feb is also a quieter time but lots of great condo/ hotel values. And so many golf courses you couldn't play them all. Shopping and great restaurants also. Great area to ride bikes as there are bike paths along the lower end of the island. Closest airport for here is Savannah, GA. HHI does have an airport also.
My best to you in your search - day trips to Charleston from either of these wonderful locations is very doable as both are about 60 miles so about 1 - 1:15 away.
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 03:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
one advantage to Hilton Head is the possibility of EASILY visiting Savannah, much less Charleston...
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 04:46 AM

The disadvantage of HH is its basically sterile look and spread out.
As mentioned another possibility close to MB is Garden City, Surfside, Pawley's Island/Litchfield. You could stay ON the beach, not have so much traffic, although February will be better, and be close to all the golf you could possibly want. You would have interesting more "local" style restaurants. Shopping is never far away.
MB and North MB are really big sprawling cities now--high rises walling off the ocean from the road.
As said, the airport is just outside MB proper, easily accessible to the towns south.
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 04:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not to make this overly complicated but perhaps you could BRIEFLY elaborate on why you picked MB...for the weather? for the beach? for the golf? etc., and which is the MOST important factor?

I can think of other places that might give you better weather probability in February, for example.

Agreed..MB is as are most places much different than it was a few years ago...much more spread out with a lot of high rises, etc. and it is most definitely SPREAD OUT, too
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, everyone. I'm going to look at Lichfields too. I didn't realize there was a House of Blues in MB and that would definitely be something we'd be interested in, as well as the local style restaurants.

Thanks again!
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 05:06 AM

Consider Folly beach, SC. The town is cute, very walkable, lots of good food, and it's really affordable in February.
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 05:29 AM
OO

Gtg, it can get pretty darned cold there in the winter--not Canada-cold, but cold none-the-less. We even had a few dustings of snow the 4 years we lived in Savannah. Fortunately the bad days are always interspersed with pleasant ones. I may be a wuss, but we even have pictures of our family playing on the beach one Thanksgiving in parkas. Cold, especially near the water can be a very raw cold, but of course the later in Feb you go, the better your chances of decent weather.
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 05:41 AM
OO

Heh heh...come to St Pete! Downtown St Pete has become fantastic over the last several year with plenty of fun restaurants and some good shopping, the Dali museum, and a Chihuly museum. DH plays golf once a week with a group from our condo, a different course every week, but some are as much as 40 minutes away. There are more public courses on the Tampa side of the bridge, but downtown Tampa doesn't have much to offer you. Of course we aren't immune to cold either, but you have a better shot at warm weather in this area than you do in SC, or MS.
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 05:42 AM

That's right. We're not tropical. And wind off the ocean can go through your clothes.
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Hmmm...well, the weather might be a problem. The whole reason we're going is so that my SO can play golf but if it's going to be too cold, there's no point. We'd probably be going around the third week in February.

Florida's a possibility but my sister's got a place in North Miami so if we do go, it will be to her place.
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 08:41 AM
OO

By the 3rd week in Feb., your odds for decent weather are much better. Go to a site like weatherunderground.com, plug in Myrtle Beach, then scroll down to the "history" section and plug in your dates for a few past years to get a feel for whether or not the weather will suit you.
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 08:55 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
I didn't see where you are coming from but there are six cities that allegiant airlines flies to Myrtle Beach from.
http://www.allegiantair.com/
They also have deals that you can add your hotel to the airfare.
If you live close enough to 1 of the 6, you could avoid driving from somewhere else.
Biloxi is likely to be a little warmer with less wind.
There is a big golf course just east of the Myrtle Beach airport.
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 10:05 AM

You can definitely play golf probably no matter what.
There are 110 golf courses in the area--let alone one at the airport!!
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

OK, I feel a little better about the weather. I'll check out the weatherunderground site for sure.

Thanks, tom, but it seems that allegianair only flys to Florida from Toronto (where I am).
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 10:59 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Feb can be very warm. It also can be chilly.

Myrtle Beach doesn't have a pretty little town to walk in. It's a long stretch of beach with touristy things to support the visitors. IT DOES have a lot of golf courses. It's not as bad as Niagara Falls, but that kind of atmosphere vs pretty beach towns. North MB is quieter than the strip. One of my favorite places to stay in the Hampton Inn Oceanfront on the south end. The furnishings are more like New England coastal town than normal beach hotel furnishings - and it's not far to the restaurants at Murrell's Inlet. Traffic won't be too bad in Feb. so you can stay just about anywhere and be okay. I'm not a fan of HH either. I agree with the "sterile" comment. It would be great to fit in a visit to Charleston if you can.
Old Dec 20th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Hi starrs! Thanks for this info. I'll definitely look at the Hampton Inn Oceanfront.