Scottsdale, Phoenex & Sedona in February Questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 02:48 AM
Paul

Hi Folks-

First of all, let me tell you all what a great site this is! And it is YOU who make it that way!

Question - I am staying at Sunterra's Scottsdale Villa Mirage February 9 - 16. We will fly in one day early to get a 'jump' on things. Is there a motel with a great pool that is reasonably priced you might recommend for that first night. Will check in around 4:00 PM and I always look forward to a nice swim. Hopefully weather will be warm enough? Coming from Michigan, it's gotta' be better!

I have written down many of your suggestions. Your list of restaurants is great! I am looking forward to my first visit to the area.

Surprised that Frank Lloyd Wright's Tallieson wasn't spoken of more often than once. Also, no mention at all of the sand-cast Soleri bells. I plan on making those stops a great day on my vacation. I also plan Sedona for a day, and the Grand Canyon for a day.

I have two $50 gift certificates for dinners... One at The Phoenician and one for the Enchantment Resort - which restaurant at those resorts would you recommend for a late lunch, good food? They each offer about 5 choices of eateries.

I will keep reading - I am hooked since stumbling across this site a couple of days ago. Love your suggestions coast-to-coast! {The Gatlinburg comments are way too funny!}

Happy Trails!

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 07:00 AM
kopelli

I'd say if you're planning on a swim in Phoenix in Feb., you'll want to look for a hotel with an indoor pool. Unless, of course, you're one of those Michigan polar bears who swim in 70-degree weather. Even still, there are probably a lot of places in AZ where the outdoor pools are closed in Feb.

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 07:33 AM
E.

Taliesin is great, I'm glad you're going to check it out! And while in Sedona, consider driving up Schnebly Hill Road--hey, you'll be in a rental, right?! It's perfectly passable in a passenger car if you go slowly, and everyone does...but if you're really chicken, try a jeep tour, you'll love it either way!

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 09:24 AM
mel

Hey not to worry. There are plenty of hotels that will have HEATED pools for you to swim in. It's not that it's too cold outside, only that the water itself will still be cold. I can't think of many hotels in the Phx. area that have indoor pools. Plenty are heated though.

Arcosanti (sp?) where they make the bells, is definately worth the stop! You may also want to stop at Montezuma's Castle on the way to Sedona. It costs a couple bucks but if you are into Native American culture or history, it's worth it.

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 09:27 AM
kopelli

They can heat the pools all they want. I'm still not going in if the air temperature's 70.

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 09:32 AM
Jim

I've stayed at both the Phoenician and Enchantment several times.
Use your gift certificate for late lunch at the dining room at Enchantment (but check to be sure about the hours!). The food is great and the view spectacular.
Mary Elaine's at the Phoenician is the state's highest rated restaurant, but $50 won't take you too far.
The other restaurants there aren't worthy of special consideration.

BTW, I too, would avoid the pools in early Feb. It'll be far too cool most days.

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 12:33 PM
Paul

Hey - you guys are great! Thanks for all of the excellent suggestions. I am taking notes! Hopefully it will be warm enough while I am there to take a jump in the pool. You have mentioned so many things to do at this site.
Thanks tons!
Paul