Search

Scenic Texas Hill Country Spots

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2017, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scenic Texas Hill Country Spots

Hello everyone.
Wanted to try my luck here and ask what are some scenic spots and routes in the Texas Hill country area?

I will be visiting either the 3rd or the last week of April. Will be heading to Austin from New York and spend about 6-7 days in Texas.

Super excited to visit Texas! Also I would appreciate it if there's any suggestions of places to eat and see.

We are a easy going couple that love to experience new places for its culture and nature.
Old Feb 14th, 2017, 10:47 AM

Come earlier and you'll be in the height of wildflower season.
Old Feb 14th, 2017, 11:00 AM

There are many great day trips from Austin that can be reached in about an hour. You can base out of Austin or move around. I would prefer moving around to get a feel for each of the places. I live in Fredericksburg, which is right in the middle of the Hill Country. You're choosing a great time of year to visit - it won't be too hot yet, but you may miss some of the wildflowers. It's hard to know from year to year. Take a look at this and tweek it to your own interests. I would not miss these places if you're in Austin for that long: Gruene, Fredricksburg, New Braunfels, and San Antonio

Sample itinerary for 7 days:

Day 1: In Austin: See the State Capitol, Bob Bullocks Museum, go to the Wholefoods store (it's the flagship store and is AMAZING if you're a foodie!). In the evening, be at Congress Bridge at sunset to watch the bats take flight. It's an unforgettable sight!! Have dinner, and head to the famous/infamous 6th street to walk off your food and people watch.

Day 2: Head to Zilker Park and Barton Springs. Spend the morning exploring the park and the Springs. Have lunch then head over to the Trail at Ladybird Lake: Auditorium Shores. The Stevie Ray Vaughan statue on the river and a great close-in view of the Austin skyline give it a unique Austin feel. That evening, go to Gruene (pronounced Green, like the color) for dinner on the river at The Gristmill, and live music at Gruene Hall. It’s an easy 45 minutes from Austin.

Day 3: Day trip to Natural Bridge Caverns (about 40 minutes), http://www.naturalbridgecaverns.com/...5))/Index.aspx and if you like shopping go to the outlet mall http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp?id=77 on the way back.

Day 4: Check out of your Austin hotel and head to Fredericksburg. On your way, possible stops include: Pedernales Falls State Park; Lyndon B Johnson Historical Park/Ranch in Stonewall; Luckenbach; the Wildseed/Wildflower Farm; or a winery (do a bit of research to see what interests you!). Get to Fredericksburg in the early evening; have dinner and go to Luckenbach or another live music venue.

Day 5: Check out of hotel. Go to Enchanted Rock http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/state-parks/enchanted-rock early in the day (if it's a weekend) before it gets crowded. Have lunch in F'burg and spend the afternoon strolling Main Street and exploring the shops. Head to San Antonio about 4:00pm - it will take you about an hour to get there. Check into your hotel on the Riverwalk and go have dinner and stroll the River Walk.

Day 6: San Antonio attractions – El Mercado, La Villita, the River Walk, Hemisphere Plaza, the Alamo – there is a LOT to do here, but you can see the best of it in a day. Google for more information.

Day 7: Depart. The drive from San Antonio to the Austin airport is about 1 ½ hours depending on traffic.

Have fun!
Old Feb 14th, 2017, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

@BigRuss I am looking to see if I can make it out of NYC from the 4/14-4/20 hopefully we will be able to get there in time for peak wildflower bloom!

@darlenef17 thank you so much for that very detailed and helpful itinerary. You mentioned a lot of great things that peaked my interest. I will def look into your suggestions! THANKS AGAIN! I am so excited to explore what I can in texas!!!
Old Feb 14th, 2017, 04:31 PM

Check out the very scenic highway 16 in the Hill Country. Here's some info on it and other pretty drives:
http://www.backroadstexas.net/rides-drives.htm
Old Feb 15th, 2017, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

@jayne1973 Thanks! I will take a look at the site