Search

Scenic but fast route

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2000, 02:40 PM
Denise

Scenic but fast route

This is our first time traveling to California and we
will be arriving in LA for 4 days then going
to Coronado for 2 days.Back up to Solvang for l night,Then to Carmel for 1 night And last to San Francisco,2 nights.
What would be the fastest but also scenic route to take. We only have 10 days.

Thanks,

Denise

Old Mar 3rd, 2000, 05:00 PM
JJJ

Most of California's highways are pretty scenic (if you're not in the urban areas). Here are my suggestions:

LA-Coronado: 405South to 5South -- after Orange County, the 5 runs right along the ocean.

Coronado-Solvang: 5South-101North -- 101 runs along the ocean once you get past the northern suburbs of LA

Solvang-Carmel-SF: 1North -- this is the most beautiful hwy in CA (ie, Big Sur, Hearst Castle, etc). Definitely not to be missed. Some of the most spectacular views you'll ever see.

The best bet to getting the most out of the scenic drive is to drive during the day and save venturing into town until nightfall.

Good luck!

Old Mar 3rd, 2000, 05:20 PM
JJJ

Dear JJ,
Thanks for replying. This will definitely help us! If you have any suggestions for places to see that are
most spectacular, please write back.
Thanks again,

Denise

Old Mar 4th, 2000, 08:40 AM
Cal

First, some bad news. Hwy 1 through the Big Sur is closed due to a severe washout. You will need to take the 101 route. You can cut across to Carmel from Salinas. Also Hwy 1 is very slow in many parts. Your best bet is to stick to 101 until you reach San Jose. In San Jose, exit 101 at 85 north. Take the 280 North exit from 85 right into San Francsisco,

Old Mar 8th, 2000, 08:29 AM
Kate

But if you want to see some coast north of Carmel, take Highway 1. It moves pretty fast up to Santa Cruz, then heads right along the coast up to the SF area. If you take 101 to SJ and 280 to SF, you won't see the coast at all,

Old Mar 8th, 2000, 01:38 PM
John

Kate is right about the scenic beauty of the coastal stretch between Santa Cruz and Pacifica, but the last few times I've taken CA 1 north or south (on different days of the week, and at different times of day) I got stuck in horrid traffic jams in Santa Cruz, and from Santa Cruz to Castroville, and then again between Seaside and Carmel. When I say "horrid," I mean LA-type traffic jams.
Take CA 1 by all means, it's a LOT prettier than the inland route, but be prepared for slow going.

Old Mar 10th, 2000, 10:17 AM
cecily

Denise,
I have driven Highway 1 twice now. The views are absolutely breathtaking and are definitely worth a traffic jam or two. So, pop in some good music, roll the top down and take it easy and enjoy the view. You won't regret it.