Search

Luxury hotel

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2000, 05:33 PM
merc

Luxury hotel

Can someone advise me on the best 5 star luxury hotel in New York. Many Thanks.

Old Mar 5th, 2000, 05:38 PM
Patrick

The Four Seasons, although if you really splurge for a deluxe suite, it would be hard to beat The St. Regis.

Old Mar 5th, 2000, 05:55 PM
Joe

Four Seasons wins by a solid overall margin (value scale notwithstanding).
Second rated hotel in North America in most recent Conde Naste.

Old Mar 6th, 2000, 11:13 AM
merc

What about the Waldorf Towers,is that place any good - isn't that where the President stays?

Old Mar 6th, 2000, 02:23 PM
Anthony

The Waldorf Astoria towers is not in the same league as the previously mentioned hotels. I would add The Peninsula, across the St from the St. regis to the list.

Old Mar 6th, 2000, 02:29 PM
Patrick

Last year we did an independent theatre week in NYC with two friends who always stayed at the Waldorf Towers before. We stayed at the Marriott Marquis because of a deal and its location to the theatres. Our friends now go back to the Marquis. They say it is actually better than the Waldorf Towers. Can you imagine? I have also stayed at the Penisula. It was nice, but not great. I still stick with my original two -- Four Seasons, followed by St. Regis.

Old Mar 7th, 2000, 08:27 AM
Kat

The St. Regis is my preferred 5-star hotel in NYC. Nothing beats it.

Old Mar 7th, 2000, 08:45 AM
Dona

As New Yorker, I don't get to see too many of the rooms in many hotels. But, here are my thoughts.

When the Four Seasons was built, I asked to see the rooms and they took me up to an absolutely fabulous room on the 36th floor - it really was memorable...

But,I always thought that if I were to stay in a hotel it would be the Lowell on 63rd Street off Madison Avenue. It's much smaller and more intimate than the others and I've heard that the rooms are fabulously decorated with antiques - with working fireplaces in some of the rooms.

I have been in the rooms of the Plaza Athenee on 64th Street and have been very pleasantly surprised with the size and luxury of the rooms. It, too, is more intimate than the others - and I love the neighborhood.

Have a great time...

Old Mar 9th, 2000, 08:36 AM
merc

The St Regis and the Four Seasons sound good. However, I am a little surprised to hear what u had to say about the Waldorf Towers. It is a member of the "Leading Hotels in the World" company (www.lhw.com)based in New York. I have stayed in 6 hotels around the world that have been awarded with this honour and they were superb, the best. It's strange that neither of the hotels you mentioned are on their list. If you visit their site on the above address(www.lhw.com), you will see that all the hotels listed throughout N America and indeed the world are there because they are the best. Maybe you're saying"you can't take these lists too seriously". Okay, fair comment, but it's just that in the past it has proven extremely successful. The awarded hotels in New York are as follows:
Hotel Plaza Athenee
The Helmsley Park Lane
The Lowell
The Mark
The New York Palace
The Peninsula
The Pierre
The Waldorf Towers.
I would appreciate some further comments and advice. Many thanks.

Old Mar 9th, 2000, 09:05 AM
Beth

I don't believe "Leading Hotels of the World" is an award. It is a marketing association. that is, it is a combination of luxury hotels that market themselves together. So while it may be true that all the Leading Hotels are very fine and luxourious, it is most likely NOT a knock on any other hotel that they are not a part of this. I would be surprised to find ANY Four Seasons hotel on this list as they enjoy their own reputation and marketing without the need of any help.

Old Mar 9th, 2000, 01:45 PM
Neal Sanders

Merc, Beth is correct that "Leading Hotels of the World" is a reservations and marketing association and not an award. That said, the properties associated with LHOC are, for the most part, high-end properties. The seven properties you list in New York are all superb hotels; I would personally put in a plug for the Palace, which combines a great location (50th and Madison) with terrific rooms and conveinences. The first suggestion, the Four Seasons, deserves its reputation, and the high floor rooms provides great New York vistas.

Old Mar 10th, 2000, 12:02 AM
Mike

Merc, have to agree with Beth and Neal! And all LHOTW certainly do NOT merit that kind of adulation! To wit: La Samanna on St. Martin and The Guanahani on St. Barts. ANY Four Seasons or Ritz-Carlton (and many independents) can SERIOUSLY outrank them by a long shot!!

Old Mar 10th, 2000, 10:20 AM
merc

Many thanks to all of you that have responded to my recent message. It certainly has answered my query and I will now be able to make a choice with better judgement. It's still difficult, ofcourse, but at least now I know that it's not an award and the reason why certain hotels are not featured. Thanks once again!