Savoy Hotel in San Francisco

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2004, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anybody stayed at the Savoy Hotel in San Francisco. It is located on Geary St.,is Geary Street in a safe location? Also, what is there to do in Sausalito?
Thanks!

Old Apr 17th, 2004, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I both lived in S.F. for many years and have stayed at the Savoy as a guest. The location is safe and quite prime. Geary Street is the major East-to-West crosstown street in San Francisco and that block is always very busy with both traffic and pedestrians. Two of S.F.'s major legitimate theatres are in the next block to the east. You just don't want to stroll in the neighborhood south of Geary from that block--not that it's terribly dangerous, but because the neighborhood quickly gets sleazy in that direction. The block you are on, and strolling in any other direction but south, is fine.

Just two blocks to the East is Union Square, the heart of S.F.'s major hotel and shopping district. You can get public transportation to anywhere-buses, cable cars, Muni Metro, BART--from the Square or within a couple of blocks of it.

As for the Savoy itself--the building is very old and I can remember when it was a low-rent residential hotel (under another name, before it was remodeled and renamed for its much different current use as a boutique hotel.) I booked my room directly with the hotel, not through Priceline, Hotwire or any other discount online service, and I will have to say that although the furnishings, beddings, and toiletries were all very nice and upscale, I got the smallest hotel room I have ever seen. There was barely room to move around the bed. So while it would be an acceptable, well located place for one adult (or maybe two) to just go to sleep, I would not bring kids there, and frankly as a party of one or two I'll look elsewhere when I next need a hotel in that neighborhood, to try to get something not quite so tiny.

You might want to look at Tripadvisor.com, which has extensive user reviews and ranks the hotels in the order of how well they have been reviewed, to pick an alternative. I can think of the Chancellor and Maxwell as two within a couple of blocks of the Savoy which have been well reviewed on Tripadvisor, seem to have at least somewhat larger rooms, and are in the same general price range (both of those are even closer to Union Square.)