Savor Seattle Food Tour of Pike Place Market

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 08:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm new to Seattle and am going to entertain myself for a while by trying to do something "touristy" each weekend...for a while anyways.

Today's adventure was the Savor Seattle food tour, which is a history and sampling tour of Pike Place Market. It lasts 2 hours long, costs $39, and is a great way to get your bearing around the Market (which is a little overwhelming the first time you see it).

The tour starts at Seattle Coffee Works where you meet the group, try on your headphones (so you can hear the guide during the tour), and start sampling. We had 2 different kinds of coffee, my favorite being a peaberry. We also had cinnamon donuts from Daily Dozen Doughnuts which were fantastic...but cold. It's best to eat these hot, so get yourself to 93 Pike St #7 to get them fresh. The donuts bob right from the oil on to your plate - doesn't get much better than that.

Next stop was Market Spice...very cool store. It's been in the market since 1911 and has a mammoth supply of spices, teas, and coffees. We sampled sweet and savory "healthy hear" (spice blend) cream cheese spreads over crackers, as well as the Market Spice iced tea. I don't like tea, but the iced tea was delicious...and doesn't have any sugar added. Highly recommend it.

Next up? Pike Place Fish. We tried 3 different types of salmon (smoked, smoked with pepper and garlic, and jerky), and heard the history of the fish market and its owner. We saw fish hurled, children tricked, and we shouted. Sadly, the fish throwers were spot on this morning...my favorite moments are when they miss and people get slapped with real fish. I've only seen this happen once, but it still makes me smile.

We then headed to Frank's Quality Produce for some fruit tastings and lessons. Delicious pear, apple, and avocado! We also had an eggplant lesson which was surprisingly fascinating. Did you know eggplants come in two sexes? I challenge you to turn them over at the grocery store next time...and buy the boys because they're less bitter.

On to the Confectional, which is relatively new. We met Paul, the owner, and sampled his amazing Colombian hot chocolate. This was one of my favorite samplings...I can't even describe it. It's very thick melted chocolate blended with coffee, clove, cinnamon, and something else I've forgotten and it's heavenly.

We headed across the street to Chukar's Cherries where we had some of Paul's cheesecake (from the Confectional) topped with Chukar's triple cheery topping. DELICIOUS. We were also given samples of mixed nuts and fruits, as well as some different types of chocolate covered cherries. My favorite sample here (besides the cheesecake) was the milk chocolate honey pecan. YUM.

Now to my favorite stop...Beecher's Handmade Cheese. I love cheese, and it loves me. Beecher's instantly won my admiration because they serve fresh cheese curds (which, until this point, I had only enjoyed in Wisconsin). We sampled their flagship cheddar which was excellent, and their mac and cheese which is even better. They dub it the world's best, and I may agree.

Next up - Piroshky-Piroshky. We sampled three kinds of piroshky: smoked salmon pate, potato and onion, and smoked mozzarella. The potato and onion was my favorite, but I wasn't blown away. BUT..I've heard so many great things about this place (and the line was so long to get in), that I'll go again and see if their non-tour offerings are better.

Etta's Seafood was our next stop, and we had Tom Douglas's signature Triple Coconut Cream Pie. Holy goodness...this is some good pie, and I don't even like pie. On a side note, if you've never been to Etta's and like crab cakes or salmon (or pie), make a note to go. Their dungeness crab cakes are awesome, and they are well known for their "rub-with-love" salmon that Patrick is still raving about. ;-)

Our final stop was the Tasting Room/Wines of Washington. This is a cool little place off Post Alley, and serves as a good reminder for folks to wander the alleys in the market as well. The tasting room had a very large selection of small batch wines, as well as a very warm candle-lit interior that was very welcoming. We had a chardonnay and a syrah, and received a wine lesson from the store manager. The Tasting Room has a great little bar for a stop in after a wander through the market...they serve wines by the glass, flights, or bottle if you're feeling thirsty.

Overall, I really enjoyed this tour. The website indicates that there are potentially additional tours coming for different neighborhoods, and I hope they do add them. Check it out here:

www.savorseattletours.com

If you're a tourist (or new resident) in Seattle, I highly recommend it. If you're a "regular" to the Market, it will probably not be of much interest to you.

And now for my pros and cons.

Pros:
* Tons of tasty samples that the general market-going public don't get to try
* Interesting factoids about market stall owners, the market itself, and food
* Great headset system means everyone can hear the guide (and not each other) even if the guide is 150 feet away (and she never is)
* Free bottle of water and a 10% coupon at all the stalls you visit for 7 days
* Very knowledgeable, friendly guide

Cons
* A little heavy on the sweets and not enough on the savory
* Probably not very interesting for people who are familiar with the market (but great for newbies!)
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 06:34 AM

Great report, beanweb! It sounds like a great tour---even would be interesting to us "locals". At least, I can happily recommend it to out-of-town guests. (Although I agree---it does sound a little heavy on the sweets).

Glad you liked Beechers! I love that place too. Were they actually making cheese while you were there? Did you get to try fresh curds that "squeak"? They actually published the recipe for their Mac and Cheese; it was in the newspaper (Seattle PI) a few weeks back) and appears in the cookbook "Pure Foods", by Kurt Beecher Dammeier (owner of Beecher's and Bennett's, a restaurant on Mercer Island). Their homemade crackers are also very good---I prefer the plain over the hazelnut.

You can buy Tom Douglas' "Rub with Love" lots of places around here. (Patrick--are you listening?)

I think I'd spend all those 10% coupons at the fish market, and the vegetable stand just down the way, on the same side.
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 07:18 AM

What a great thing to do! Reading your report made my mouth water. I haven't tried some of the tastes you mention but will remember them next time I go to Pike Place! And next time I shop for eggplant, I'm going for the boy!

Here's a market tasting you might find on your own that is savory not sweet. There's a place across the street from the market (on the same side as Beechers) that has really good vinegars and oils. Sometimes they give samples of soup without truffle oil; then they add it and you can taste the difference. Mmmm.

I notice on the savortours website they are going to add to their tours. The one of the International District will be interesting!

I can't wait to read about your next discovery!
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 08:44 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Thanks for posting, beanweb24! And glad to know you've made your move to Seattle. Welcome!!!

I had friends in from out-of-town, so was a tourist in Seattle myself this week. Big fun! Things we did:

up the Space Needle at sunset on a clear evening for a glass of wine

ride the ferry over to Bainbridge Island, walk around, have lunch, and back

out to Snoqualmie Falls and hiked down to the bottom and back up

Meals included Anthony's at pier 66, Frontier room BBQ, and dim sum in Chinatown.
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 10:04 AM

Oh, you're making me homesick! I miss Piroshky, Piroshky!

I had no idea that there was a food tour at the market, but it certainly makes sense. Sounds like fun. Thanks for posting, beanweb24.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 06:48 AM

beanweb24, Keep us posted on your adventures as you get to know Seattle.

I have never been a fan of Piroshky, Piroshky myself either so don't feel bad about that. DeLaurentis italian market is my favorite place at Pike Place. Also La Panier french bakery.

Old Nov 9th, 2007, 12:05 PM

beanweb24~ I don't remember if you participate there as well, but someone today is asking about this tour over on the Seattle forum at Trip Advisor.

i hope you don't mind i pointed them over here to Fodor's US forum.
;-)
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reference, Suze...hopefully it will be helpful to someone.

Thanks to everyone for the responses and especially the extra tips for savoring the Market on my own. I have a very "honeymoon" feeling about living here and really can't believe it's my new hometown...I feel very lucky to live here.

My parents will be first time visitors at the end of the month, so I'm planning on taking them on my own version of the tour...which will include less sweets, more savory, and definitely more alcohol. ;-)
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 03:41 PM

Love this report and your enthusiasm. Makes me fall in love with Seattle all over again.

As for places to add with your folks, either Matts at the Market or Maximillian's are great for dinner. (Just read in Fodors review that Maximillian's was Julia Child's favorite restaurant in Seattle!)
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 03:54 PM

Hi, beanweb!

Great report! Makes me want to get back to Seattle soon!

Day after our GTG, I couldn't get up to Vancouver, so guess where we ended up? Pike Place Market! Bought a whole salmon and a good amount of halibut. The freshness of the seafood is amazing!

Keep your reports coming! Love to hear more of how you are enjoying your move to Seattle!
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 05:20 PM

My friend in Portland will be in Seattle for the marathon, I have to show her this thread!
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 07:54 PM

easytraveler---did you go to the place where they throw the fish for your salmon and halibut?

I hope you and artlover are enjoying the SF GTG--it sounds pretty rowdy!
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 08:59 PM

Hi, enzian!

No, we went to another one. Quieter and I believe the halibut was a dollar cheaper per pound, but can't really testify to that - LOL!

They did fillet the fish for us, but the scaling lacked, ah, finesse. I had to scrape off more of the scales on bringing the fish back.

We really enjoyed the beautiful flowers and those ladies are so amazing, putting together these fantastic floral arrangements instantly!

I also enjoyed the diverse art - very original! One of the best "fresh air" markets I've ever been to!

Yes, the SF GTG will probably be a riot with the individuals attending! But we had quite a great GTG in Seattle - Wann's was the perfect choice! Looking forward to coming up again some time - feel as if I've met some very good friends! So glad beanweb is beginning to settle down in your beautiful city!
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Original Poster

artlover - I discovered Matt's in the Market last year on vacation and it's definitely at the top of my list for my parents. I haven't heard of Maximillian, though, so I will definitely check that out.

easytraveler - the flowers in the Market are amazing aren't they?! Glad you enjoyed the rest of your weekend here. You'll have to let us know if you'll be back in town for scheduling purposes of the next GTG...or maybe you'll just have to make another trip up specifically for it. Have fun this weekend in San Francisco!
Old Nov 10th, 2007, 07:34 AM

Sounds like fun! We will be hitting a few of those places when we are there in a couple weeks. My friend and I both used to live up there, so don't need the tour, but will definitely enjoy all those great places. And will work off those calories with the marathon! Oh I can't wait to be back!!!
Old Nov 10th, 2007, 09:14 AM

easytraveler, next time you are here I will take you to the "real" fish market, the one that supplies the high-end restaurants and discerning retail customers up here. I am sure they will filet your halibut correctly!

beanweb, if you are looking for more places to take your parents during their visit, try Bennett's on Mercer Island for lunch, dinner, or Sunday brunch (we like the dinner best). They are completely into "local"---serving only Northwest wines and local microbrews, local artisan cheeses, and seasonal produce. A few of the seafood items, like the Weathervane scallops, come from a bit farther, like Alaska. It's a nice little, non-pretentious bistro.

If your dog doesn't mind waiting in the car while you dine, you could take him or her to the off-leash area at Luther Burbank Park, on the north end of Mercer Island, first. But bring a towel---it gets muddy there in the winter.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 12:54 PM

Great advice. I'm actually heading to Seattle with the family next month and will certainly use your advice. I would love to find a great place to take the kids(15&11) to experience the Dungeness Crab "feast". Any suggestions?