Seattle Specialty Foods

Search

Seattle Specialty Foods

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2006, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seattle Specialty Foods

Hi! I'm going to Seattle for a few days in June and I would like to try some of the only-in-Seattle regional specialty foods, and hopefully buy some for souvenirs. I know about the salmon and coffee, but can anyone recommend some of their other personal favorites? Thanks so much!
Old May 6th, 2006, 11:27 AM

Beecher's handcrafted cheese, and the crackers they make to go with. The Beecher's cheese factory in across the street from Pike Place market---you can watch them make it, and sample different kinds, from other cheesemakers as well.
Old May 6th, 2006, 01:58 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Fran's chocolates - retail shops in University Village and Bellevue. Chocolate that would make a Belgian weep.
Old May 6th, 2006, 02:02 PM

Chukar Cherries has a variety of dried cherries and other fruits that are delicious. I love the milk-chocolate truffle cherries the best! Check out their stand at Pike Place Market.
Old May 6th, 2006, 03:28 PM

The Pike Place Market has loads of locally produced items, and the vendors are always willing to sample, so I'd suggest browsing the stalls (in the main market building, running north along Pike Place) to see what you like best. If you can visit one of the farmer's markets-in the University District on Saturday, or Ballard on Sunday-you'll find even more wonderful locally produced cheeses, smoked fish, honey, etc etc.

Old May 7th, 2006, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Wow--thank you all SO much for the great suggestions! My mouth is watering as I'm printing out this thread. Can't wait to try all those goodies--will have to make sure I buy enough so I don't consume all the souvenirs on the plane!
Old May 7th, 2006, 09:55 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
All the vendors at Pike Place Market is/are an excellent suggestion, both for the variety but also the sampling!

There are a number of farms doing dried fruits. Or things like honey, jams, berry syrup, hazelnuts (tho some of those farms are actually down in Oregon).

The closer you shop to *the pig* (landmark right under the clock and the famous market sign) are the year-round vendors. Heading north you get to the seasonal, smaller booths.

While salmon is a specialty I hate that nasty vacuum packed kind, so have your salmon at a nice restaurant here but don't try to take it home (is my suggestion). Unless you want to fly it home on dry ice (the fish stands do pack for the airport).
Old May 22nd, 2006, 05:21 AM

Be sure to visit vivace coffee in seattle, best coffee in USA
Old May 22nd, 2006, 05:30 AM

http://www.salumicuredmeats.com/
This is Mario Batali's Dad's place.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 07:21 AM
ALF

Also in Pike Place Market, check out Market Spice tea, which is considered a local classic. They sell various gift boxes that have been favorites of our giftees.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your wonderful suggestions! I was in Seattle last weekend and spent a lot of time at Pike Place Market where they were having a street fair, and except for an occasional brief shower, the weather was beautiful for walking around the city! I had an awesome time!

I enjoyed very much the places you kind people mentioned--the samples were wonderful and I bought plenty of Chukar cherries, hazelnuts, and cheese curds and Flagship cheese at Beecher's! Thanks so much for all your help--you all really contributed to my wonderful time in your beautiful city--I love Seattle!