Save our Spring Break!!!!

Mar 9th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Save our Spring Break!!!!

We were going to go to the Sarasota area the last week of March, but found out the water temp averages around 68 at that time. (yikes) Suggestions for places in South Florida, where the water will be warmer? On a budget, can't fly. Kids want the beach. I hate crowds and large cities. Ideas? Thanks!
Mar 9th, 2008, 02:17 PM

Where are you traveling from?

Keys would be the warmest water but depending on your current location, it could be a very long drive.
Mar 9th, 2008, 04:21 PM

Where ARE you traveling from? For those of us in New England, 68 degrees is practically bathwater.
Mar 9th, 2008, 04:25 PM

Seriously, you might want to double-check your source on that water temp. According to weather.com, it looks like the water temp is already (March 7) around 70:

http://www.weather.com/maps/activity...res_large.html
Mar 9th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

We're driving from Virginia.
I'm afraid I'm not as hardy as a New Englander!!! I know our YMCA pool (indoor) is 76 degrees, and it takes me gritting my teeth to inch in! Guess I'm a weenie. What beaches & towns in South Fla. are nice and not crowded? Don't want Miami, and isn't Ft. Lauderdale Spring Break Central? Don't want to enter the wet t shirt contest either. Thanks.
Mar 9th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

P.S. Thanks for the link, I added it to my Favorites for reference later!!!
Mar 9th, 2008, 05:03 PM
WannabeinaMontserrat

68 isn't bad, particularly if the air is warmer. Your only hope is the Keys.

Mar 9th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Do you guys realize HOW COLD 68 degree water IS????!!!!!
Mar 9th, 2008, 06:35 PM

A drive to the Keys is in your future then.
Mar 9th, 2008, 06:48 PM

linda, 68 degrees is the warmest we can ever hope for in the Boston area, including most of Cape Cod, which has been known to attract beachgoers. Here's a chart that shows the northern reality.

http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/natl.html
Mar 9th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

Wow, you guys are brave!!!
But maybe it's just what you're used to..... I grew up in Southern Alabama......I'm used to WARM water!!!
Mar 9th, 2008, 07:23 PM

I've been planning a trip to the Florida Keys for mid April. Here's what I've learned. A beautiful beach is hard to find in the Keys but Bahia Honda State Park is one of the best in Florida. On a budget, Parmer's Place seems to be the nearby favorite family stay. I am seriously looking into a lightweight wetsuit for snorkeling. Best wishes from another Virginian.
Mar 9th, 2008, 07:32 PM

From Oklahoma and there is no way I would get in 68 degree water. Frankly, I don't like it unless it is about 88 or so.
Mar 9th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

Hi KathyVA,
Have you snorkeled at John Pennekamp State Park in Key Largo?
It's great!
Linda
Mar 9th, 2008, 07:50 PM

east coasters are such wusses

The warmest water one will ever get on the southern california coast is about 70F - but more often in the high 50's, low 60's

And around Santa Cruz it is normally in the low to mid 50's!

You don't EVEN want to know about northern California.
Mar 10th, 2008, 04:39 AM

TTT from a "wuss" who has experienced warmer than 70-degree waters in San Diego..sorry, Janis, but it's true.
Mar 10th, 2008, 05:37 AM

Kids will think the temp is fine - mine even went into the water in Maine which is usually only slightly above iceberg temperature.

If you have planned Sarasota trip, imagine you did it for reasons other than temperature of water. How much time do you actually spend in the water anyway? You hate crowds, large cities - stay where you are. Considering the added driving time to south Florida, the spring break crowds there and likelihood that at this late date accomodations would be expensive and scarce. Seems like a lot of trouble and expense to get a few degrees increase in water temp - in early spring even Key West is not going to feel like the Y pool.
Mar 10th, 2008, 08:10 AM

A few years back I was vacationing in Northern WI and Michigan. This was in late July. We went to Porcupine MT St Park in Michigan on the shores of Lake Superior.( A beautiful spot to hike & camp)
Since it was a relatively warm day (80* I think) and we were warm & tired from all the hikng the DS and I decided to go for a "dip" in the lake. Little did we know that the water temp was around 60* if that. We quickly realized our mistake and jumped out chilled to the bone.
I think Lake Superior avg temp year round is in the 40's.
Mar 10th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Cassandra

Water temperature depends on the year -- 68 is an AVERAGE. Have seen people swimming in Sarasota during spring break. Also have seen them sunbathing with goosebumps.

And if you really want to fret, you can worry about red tide blooms, which there's NO way to predict. You can't control for every eventuality. Go to Sarasota for all the OTHER reasons you chose it besides water temp.

Mar 10th, 2008, 08:24 AM
TC

I think at this late date, your best salvation is to walk on the beach and swim in the heated pool of your hotel. The last week of March you're not going to find water temps to your liking anywhere in Florida -- maybe a degree or two, but not enough to make you happy. In all honesty, we go to Mexico this time of year and the water temps aren't a lot warmer. I think you must simply plan your holiday around activities other than swimming in the ocean.

Search this Thread