Old Nov 8th, 2001, 10:01 AM
Sherri

SAVANNAH VISIT

I'm headed for the Savannah/Charleston
area on November 17th and don't want to dress
like a tourist...what should I pack?

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 10:10 AM
Leone

Of course, Sherri, it depends on how cool you want to look. Those are two sophisticated cities ... and when sophisitcation is on the line you want to be seen in black, black and more black. No plaids, of course ... I'd love to see plaid anythings added to airport security no-no's. So, there you have your basic answer ... now, enjoy your trip. Ciao

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 12:24 PM
ncgrrl

Leone,

I was at the Hecht's grand opening here yesterday and only the STAFF wore black, black and more black! Down here in Durham colors are allowed.

Sherri,

If you are carrying a guidebook, camera, map, etc. you will look like a tourist no matter what. Wear something comfy.

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 12:34 PM
Leone

Well, nccgirl, when I was at Duke in your fair city I wore a bit of color too ... for the good times at the University Grill and Tykees near the East Campus Gate, and in the Beta House on West Campus. I was there this year ... there have been some changes. Ciao

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 12:39 PM
ncgrrl

Leone,

You didn't even stop by to say 'hi' when you were in town? Now you have gone and hurt my feelings. Let me guess, while a Dookie you wore dark, dark, and darker blue?

Sherri, I am sorry we are taking over this post. Maybe former Savannah resident Olive Oyl will chip in. Though the last time I saw her she was wearing a dark skirt, white shirt and her hair was in a bun (not the best hair choice if you're that thin.)

Old Nov 10th, 2001, 04:47 AM
OliveOyl

Sherri,

Savannah is very casual so not too worry. Slacks, jeans, light sweater in the day and for all but the dressiest restaurants, the same in the evening. Wear comfy shoes as you will do a lot of walking.

Above all, don't worry about looking like a tourist. 75% of the people walking around the historic district are just that, and residents don't even give it a second thought. Just relax and enjoy the city.

Old Nov 10th, 2001, 08:02 AM
abc

This question comes up a lot, and I don't understand this fear that so many posters here have of "looking like a tourist". Of course, there's the stereotype of the tasteless, clueless tourist dressesd totally inappropriately for the situation that we can all imagine, but how many travelers really dress like that (except at amusement parks - but don't get me started on that topic!)? What's wrong with being a tourist? If you travel for pleasure, that's what you are, and that's a good thing, not bad - someone who is broadening their horizons, learning about new places, cultures, and people. Why would you want to try to pass yourself off as a local? That seems deceitful to me. Of course, you want to be sensitive to what is considered appropriate dress, but I think using common sense usually works. Do you all think so little of where you live that you imagine that wearing your normal wardrobe, which is acceptable in your hometown, would suddenly make you stand out as a hick or rube elsewhere? I can understand wanting to know what to wear if you're going to a climate that's different from where you live, or knowing what is acceptable dress when going to a foreign country, where it might be very different than in the US, but I don't understand the horror of having someone perceive your status as "a tourist". Especially if you're going somewhere that is a popular tourist draw, why do you think that anyone will pay much attention to you, unless you do something rude or extremely unusual to draw attention to yourself? I live in a town that is a big tourist destination, and, believe me, I don't spend my time trying to decipher who is a visitor and who is a local. If someone looks lost or needs directions, I'm more than happy to help them; I'm proud of the history and beauty of my town, and am glad to share it. In fact, some might mistake me for a tourist, as I enjoy photography, so I frequently carry my camera around town, and sometimes I'll wear a waist pack if I'm going to be doing a lot of walking that day. But why should that bother me? After all, it's one's behavior, not appearance, that really counts. That's just my two cents.

Old Nov 10th, 2001, 08:05 AM
abc

P.S. Sherri, don't take my rantings personally, they're not really directed at you, but this is something that comes up frequently, and I've wondered about it a lot.