Search

Savannah in June

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2005, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Savannah in June

We just made reservations to stay at The Gastonian for 4 nights, starting June 19. We are flying into Jacksonville and then will drive to Savannah. Can anyone please help with:

1) 5 best things to do in Savannah?

2) 5 best places to eat, that are not too pricey?

3) Any suggestions on a day trip to Hilton Head?

4) Any thoughts on Gastonian itself? (My wife really wanted to stay here, despite the outrageous price. As a good husband, I allow my wife to get basically what she wants. Hopefully the place is as good as advertised.)

Thanks very much. I appreciate all helpful feedback.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 12:06 PM

I'll try the HHI question. It's a very easy 45 minute drive. It's a beautiful, heavily-gated resort. I would recommend that you take the main road (not X-town expressway) to Sea Pines at the far southern end. There is a $5 per car entrance fee but it's good for the day. Follow signs to HarbourTown where you can walk around the marina, shop and wait for the evening, outside entertainment.A little further south & easily marked is SouthBeach with restaurants & shopping. If you like the beach, walk a little further south from SB and on the left, you will see public access to the beach with plenty of nearby dolphins and great views. I know that everyone hates the $5 but it's a beautiful place for 10% of a day admission to Disneyworld.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for the help.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 12:44 PM

As for question #1,
I was in Savannah a little over a year ago and took a general history walking tour of the city which was very interesting. I think it was through a visitor's center, perhaps? I also enjoyed my visit to Bonaventure Cemetery.

Question #2, I ate at the Lady and Sons and it was very good. Don't know the prices b/c I didn't pay!

Have a good trip!

Old Apr 13th, 2005, 01:19 PM

Hi - I was in Savannah last October. Here are some hightlights: (saw the Red Sox win the world series at the Hyatt) took the trolley tour; great way to get acquainted & you can hop on and off. We bought a 3 day pass but found that 1 day doing this was plenty. Went to Tybee Island 1 morning - enjoyed walking on the beach; ate breakfast at World Famous Breakfast Club - was fun. Also ate at Bistro Savannah - nice atmosphere and upscale; Elizabeth's - a little pretenious and $$$ - there are some fun bars by the water for peel & eat shrimp. Drove to Hilton Head; it is hard to navigate since everything is gated - but saw "the" golfcourse and also drove to Beaufort, SC -- great college town with good antique shops and pizza. Also had breakfast at (name escapes me but will look it up) famous for book Garden of Good & Evil.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 01:43 PM

Breakfast at Clary's - 404 Abercorn Street. Great grits.