Savannah Georgia

Old Apr 7th, 2022, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Savannah Georgia

Hello, Has anyone been to Savannah Georgia. I hear it is scenic and a nice place to visit. The restaurants shows great southern food.
Old Apr 8th, 2022, 06:39 AM

I was there only for a day so didn't see much, but the general consensus is that Charleston, SC has far more to offer than Savannah. Charleston is the number one destination in the South (excluding New Orleans and Orlando).
Old Apr 8th, 2022, 07:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
https://www.fodors.com/world/north-a...orgia/savannah
Old Apr 8th, 2022, 12:43 PM

We enjoyed Savannah. The old section has beautiful, historic homes and architecture and is lovely to stroll around.
Old Apr 8th, 2022, 12:58 PM

If you can get hold of this movie, it is set in Savanah and is wonderfully funny and visually beautiful. I love how it captures a bit of Southern Culture, especially in how terrible things are referred to in such an elegant manner.
Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnig...and_Evil_(film)

Old Apr 8th, 2022, 12:58 PM

I think Savannah is just as interesting as Charleston - they are both great. Savannah has a very walkable historic center with a "square" every couple of blocks, most of which are very scenic with trees, flowers, sculpture, benches, etc. There is a nice, though touristy, waterfront with great restaurants.

Most recent visit we stayed at the Thunderbird Inn, a 60s retro motel just on the edge of the historic district. We though it was a great place, and very reasonable priced for Savannah. Free donuts (amazing!!!) and coffee for breakfast.

Here's my photos - https://andiamo.zenfolio.com/p501708037
Old Apr 8th, 2022, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Savannah

Originally Posted by KTtravel View Post
We enjoyed Savannah. The old section has beautiful, historic homes and architecture and is lovely to stroll around.
Thank you for the info on Savannah Ga. I would bet it's pretty in May and nice weather
Old Apr 8th, 2022, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Savannah

Originally Posted by Sassafrass View Post
If you can get hold of this movie, it is set in Savanah and is wonderfully funny and visually beautiful. I love how it captures a bit of Southern Culture, especially in how terrible things are referred to in such an elegant manner.
Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnig...and_Evil_(film)
Hello, Want to thank you for the reply. I will try to find that movie
Old Apr 8th, 2022, 04:40 PM

Both Charleston and Savanah are gorgeous in April and May. Don’t wait until Summer when it can be hot and muggy.
Old Apr 11th, 2022, 01:39 PM

We spent 10 days in Savannah and loved it! Favorite activities around town:
-Walking the squares!!
-Pay what you wish tour by Free Savannah Tours: https://freesavannahtours.com/?gclid...xoC_r4QAvD_BwE
-Forsyth Park and the fountain
-The many historic houses: Mercer-Willlams House, Owens-Thomas house (get with ticket for Telfair Academy Museum & Jepson Center), Green-Meldrim House
-Bonaventure Cemetery, (just a short ride out of town, but worth it, especially if you’re a photographer)
-Wormsloe Plantation (a short drive out of town but wonderful ambience
-Historic synagogue tour: Mickve Israel
​​​​​​-Cathedral Basilica of St John the Baptist
-Plant River District

We found restaurants in general more expensive than expected and reservations needed for the nicer places. We aren’t big foodies and didn’t get to many of the top-rated places, but we did get to a few decent places:

-Pizza at Vinnie Van Go-gos in the City Market —fun, and surprisingly good! And this is coming from a NYer!
-Treyler Hitch - can be noisy, a bit busy, not fancy, but the food was pretty good and the prices right
-Flying Monk - a pan-Asian restaurant with decent food
-Fox and Fig (luncheon food)
-Cafe Mirabelle (opposite Cathedral) - coffee, lunch
-Vault - also pan-Asian, good, just out of the Historic District

We had a dinner at the highly recommended French restaurant, Circa 1875, and while the dinner was good, I wouldn’t say it was worthy of raves. The dessert (profiteroles) was the worst we’ve ever had. And the service was awful - so slow. It took a half hour for the dessert!

Also, people rave about Leopold’s ice cream. It’s good - but not worth the long wait on line. We waited for close to a half hour, and really, we wondered why!

I’ll try to add more later; this is cut and pasted from an earlier post I wrote.

Last edited by progol; Apr 11th, 2022 at 01:42 PM.
Old Apr 11th, 2022, 03:29 PM

The movie is a true story which makes it even more intriguing!! A good friend's parents lived in Beaufort during this time and were invited to his parties.
This restaurant was featured on one of Vivian Howard's shows and I wouldn't miss it if going to Savannah. It is in an old bus station and re-imagined as a fine restaurant by a Black female chef.
https://thegreyrestaurant.com/

Charleston and Savannah each have their charms and are both worth all the time you can give them May will be very lovely and bordering on very hot. Right now all the Low Country is aflame with azalieas and dogwoods and spring beauty.
people do talk about the heat and humidity of this part of the country in summer but in a way it is a part of its real charm. And I have endured plenty of heat and humidity in the Ohio Valley!!

Last edited by Gretchen; Apr 11th, 2022 at 03:33 PM.
Old Jun 16th, 2022, 08:16 AM

I'm thinking of spending a Significant Birthday there. It is close to St. Patrick's Day - I'm trying to decide whether being there for the St. Patrick's day festivities would be a plus or a minus.
Old Jun 16th, 2022, 11:55 AM

Topgun777, here's my pre-covid trip repot....scroll down to page 5, Monday:

https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/driving-from-florida-to-maryland-878217/

Last edited by TDudette; Jun 16th, 2022 at 12:03 PM.