Search

Savannah Ga.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 1998, 01:04 AM
Mike Horner

Savannah Ga.

I am planning a trip to Savannah Ga. and was wondering what are the must see's and must do's and NEAT places to stay.

Thanks,
Mike

Old Jun 11th, 1998, 12:32 PM
Polly

Go to the Savannah Visitor's Center. It is well marked and you should have no trouble finding it. Either take one of the tours that originate there or at least rent the auto tape tour. Each of those will guide you around the beautiful squares that form the basis of Oglethorpe's city plan. Can't help with lodging...I always sponge off friends when there. Go to Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House for lunch (we southerners call it dinner. At night, we eat supper). Get in line by 11 AM. It is not a boarding house, but a family style restaurant where groups of people sit together at large tables and they bring bowls and platters of good southern food...the kind my mama still makes. They only serve the mid-day meal. Go to Johnny Harris' Restaurant on Victory Drive for dinner/supper. It is said to have been the favorite of Clint Eastwood when he was there directing a film. I like the local restaurant chain called Carey Hilliard's. It is not fancy food...no French gourmet items here, but wonderful prices on good Southern Fried seafood and barbeque. The Visitor's Center should a good resource. If I find a good web-site, I'll get back to you. Savannah is a beautiful town. You won't be disappointed.

Old Jun 12th, 1998, 04:42 PM
wes fowler

Mike, one of your MUST DO's before going to Savannah is to read "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil". You'll get wonderful insights into the character of the city and many of the city's characters (and there are many!). Read the book, don't rent the Eastwood movie video. If time permits, visit Charleston, South Carolina, too. Both cities are walkable delights; both are also ungodly hot and humid in the summer months, as well.

Old Jun 13th, 1998, 12:35 PM
Nita

Interesting - the two places I remember eating at were Mrs. Wilkes and Johnny Harris's. We enjoyed the shops along the river front and driving/walking the numerous squares. The Visitor's Center has a good film. Also enjoyed Charleston and Hilton Head Island - our trip was in Dec - 70's one day and 30's the next!

Old Jul 7th, 1998, 07:37 AM
Chris Collinson

Mike,
A little, very unheard of place in an alley that exudes character & local flavor you must visit is
Wall's BBQ. Also, it's worth the trip down I-95 to the Jekyll Island exit(sits right @ exit) to visit The GA Pig for authentic pit BBQ.

However, if I had to pick Savannah or Charleston-the latter would win hands down.

Old Jul 8th, 1998, 01:52 PM
Jim Torrence

First you need to read Midnight in the Garden of good and evil - a true story that takes place in Savannah. Then when you get there, go on a "book tour". My wife and I took the peach bus tour with Bob as the driver (he came highly recommended and we were not disappointed). He wears his hair in a ponytail. You get a tour of all the places mentioned in the book. Really neat.

Old Jul 13th, 1998, 02:54 PM
Melinda & Edwin Byck

We work and live in Savannah, GA. Our suggestions include: A day walking through the historical section maybe a carriage ride or tour highlighting the architecture, wallking and shopping along riverstreet, antique shopping throughout the historic areas, going to the beach at Tybee ( a 20 minute drive from downtown Savannah), the visitors center is a nice place to start any day, plenty of water and cool clothes during the Summer. Our recommendations for dinner include Elizabeths, 45 South, Saphire grill, Times on Bay, and The pink House.

Old Jul 15th, 1998, 10:28 AM
Betty Ann

A really NEAT place to stay is The Foley House Inn. It's downtown in the historic district on Chippewa Square. Absolutely beautiful, large rooms, fire places (in the rooms as well as in the lobby/lounge area), furniture and fabrics typical of a very elegant home from the 1800's (with the modern addition of king size beds). Our room, on the second floor facing the Square, had a nice little balcony.

A LARGE continental breakfast is included as well as tea and cake between 3PM and 5PM and wine and hors d'oeuvres between 5PM and 7PM. We stayed for 4 nights in early Nov '97 and loved every minute of it.

The bathrooms are very large and the fixtures are modern with large spa tubs.

We actually stayed in 2 different rooms because our first choice was booked for the first night of our stay. Both rooms were excellent!

If you have time and a car, drive to Beaufort, S.C., less than an hour from Savannah. Go to the visitor's center, at the marina/waterfront and take the tour of the historic homes. It was raining a little the day we were there, but we still loved every minute of it! (By the way, it's pronounced BYOO fort - if you say BOW fort, you'll be told, politely, that's in NORTH Carlina). We had only one day there, but will definitely return for a longer time.

You can't help but have a good time in Savannah!

Old Jul 19th, 1998, 07:38 PM
Larry

I just returned from a trip to Hilton Head with a stop in Savannah. If you're traveling without children, I'd strongly encourage a B &B. There are many near the historic district, but priced at $100-200 nightly. If you want something traditional Marriott, Hilton and Hyatt have nice locations. I stayed at the Marriott. Pretty standard, but OK. Still pricey, however with room rates from $100-175. The Hilton has periodic internet specials. For budget conscious stays, try the Hampton Inn location in the historic district. Nice, and great location.

Old Jul 24th, 1998, 11:31 AM
mary kruft

go to the pink house for dinner and go downstairs for music too......really nice....walk the streets and "squares"......beautiful city.

Old Jul 24th, 1998, 01:49 PM
Shari

Michele and BettyAnn have given some great iedas. We were there in late June and though it was hot we had a fabulous time. We were not impressed with Tybee Island, there are many more lovely places along the coast. Dinner at the Pink House was fabulous and the other places listed are just great. we had wonderfully fresh seafood lunch at Tubbys on the riverwalk. Our B&B was Lion'shead Inn. Couldn't have been more lovely. The family that runs it is just great. I viewed the rooms on the internet and selected one. I met one of the owners of the Foley at an antique store and the clerk was telling me what a lovely place it was. Bfst at Lionshead was lovely, homemade breads and coffeecakes fresh fruit etc. Enjoyed wine and cheese in the early evening with the other guests. Oh so lovely and romantic.