Search

Savannah for 4 after Christmas

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2020, 03:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Savannah for 4 after Christmas

Hi All:

My DH and I, plus our 17 and 19 yr old boys, are going to spend 4-5 days in Savannah after Christmas. I am high risk for Covid (finishing up chemo) and we want to rent a house or condo, preferably in or near the historic district.

I’m the only one who has been to the area before and it was for work so I would love some tips:

1) We are big walkers and want to stay somewhere that we can walk around the city and also where it’s quiet. Preferable with either a large balcony or small yard. We will either do an Air BnB or VRBO. Which areas or streets should we consider?

2) Is Tybee worth a day trip or are there other beaches where we can walk? We are from Virginia and the coast but it’s always nice to visit other beaches, even if in Winter

3) Are there any self-guided walking tours OR private guides who would be really interesting to hire?

4) We love great food and are always open to creative restaurants or even great dives. I know it wont be easy that time of year to eat outside and stay safe (with tents, the risks are still pretty high) but we’re game to try.

Thanks, in advance, for any advice or suggestions!!
Old Nov 9th, 2020, 06:35 AM

Garden and Gun has had numerous articles about Savannah--I hadn't even realized how many until I googled for them. Take a look Or just google "Garden and Gun Savannah". Of course, all things will need to be checked for Covid availability.

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...4dUDCAk&uact=5
Old Nov 9th, 2020, 10:09 AM

Hi, I live in Charleston, and we love to visit Savannah often. Not todisparage Savannah, but word of caution, when we where there last month, there was extremely little regard for Covid-19 and mask precautions. Hotels and some restaurants followed mask guidelines, but for the most part it was a complete free for all. Especially in the main areas of the city and during evenings. There was little social distancing and most establishments were filled to capacity.
For hotels, you'll want to stay in the old district close to the river. Our favorites include The Bohemian and the Alida, The Cotton Sail, Hilton Garden Inn and Doubletree. You'll be able to walk to the main squares and the riverfront from there easily. For food in this area that's a bit more of a local flavor, we like The Ordinary Pub, The Old Pink House, Treylor Park and Husk. Tybee Island is very nice, and it's worth the day trip. Beaufort SC and Charleston SC are a short drive away and each offers different experiences. Beaufort is a small coastal town with a quaint downtown shopping area. Charleston is very historic and offers many beautiful walking routes in the city.
You're welcome to check out my travel blog on both Charleston and Beaufort. I've live in Charleston for 31 years, and we like to point people towards some of the local experiences.
https://www.thetravelinglocals.com/charleston-sc
Old Nov 11th, 2020, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick response and link, Gretchen
Old Nov 11th, 2020, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks TheTravelingLocals for the response and warning about lack of masks. Everyone, it seems, is masked here in Williamsburg - visitors, students and locals!

Will check out your reports and thanks for your suggestions. I think we’re renting an Air BnB so we can cook and hang out more comfortably than a hotel but will keep your hotel suggestions for the next time my husband and I go down there alone!

We love Charleston and it was a toss-up ... we’ll definitely come your way for a day trip and I’ve never been to Beaufort so thanks for that.

Old Nov 11th, 2020, 07:11 AM

Thank you, and always happy to help. Enjoy your trip!
Old Nov 12th, 2020, 04:15 AM

For our ‘destination Thanksgiving’ several years ago, we rented from Savannah Villas. Ours was a three bedroom home, with living room, formal dining room, and a very well-equipped kitchen. House was perfect for our needs (40-something couple and two sets of parents) and the location was ideal for walking in the historic area. Walls’ BBQ and Leopold’s ice cream were convenient, too!

Our introduction to the city was a walk with Savannah Rambles. Emphasis was on architecture and the city plan and, of course, the city’s history was integrated into the commentary. Highly recommended!
Old Nov 13th, 2020, 02:00 AM
Original Poster

Great ideas - thanks!