Savannah, Charleston, Asheville Question

Old Jan 5th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Savannah, Charleston, Asheville Question

We have seven nights for visiting Jekyll Island, Savannah, Charleston, and Asheville. We are thinking one night at Jekyll Island and two nights at the other three destinations. Is there a better way to distribute the seven nights?
Old Jan 5th, 2010, 04:47 PM

When are you traveling? That would definitely affect my answer.

I love Charleston and really, really like both Savannah and Asheville...Jekyll Is.--if what you want is a beach or maybe some golf, then ok I guess...

Having said that, do you want to do so much be-bopping around? I'd maybe add a day to Charleston and do a day trip to Savannah.
Old Jan 5th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick response. We live in Seattle, and will be traveling for three weeks in March.

I like the idea of seeing Savannah on a day trip from Charleston.

We are doing a loop from Atlanta: Okefenokee Swamp, Thomasville, Gulf Coast from Eastpoint to New Orleans, Natchez, Jackson, Memphis, Nashville, Smokey Mountains, Asheville, and Charleston.

HTTY
Old Jan 5th, 2010, 05:46 PM

March is early for beach weather on the SE coast. So, Jekyll is probably okay for golf, but not for sitting in the sun. I'm on board with the 1-1-2-2 plan.
Old Jan 5th, 2010, 08:25 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
That's a lot of driving.

I'm a big fan of Jekyll, but for relaxing. Not so much for driving in on one day and driving off the next. If you are just spending the night there, why not just visit the beach near Savannah (Tybee) and use the Jekyll day elsewhere?

I REALLY like the guided kayak trip in the marsh at Jekyll, visiting the little historic area, taking a carriage ride and sometimes biking around the island. March weather can be iffy, but you may have a warm day there, although not a swimming day. It's fun to just walk on the beach though. If you plan to spend less than 24 hours there, I'd skip Jekyll since that's your southernmost point.
Old Jan 6th, 2010, 02:33 AM

Since you are coming from Asheville TO Charleston, I'd just stay in Charleston and do a day trip to Savannah--or spend one night.
As has been said, it won't be real beach weather although walking on the beach is always nice.
But Charleston offers so much in the surroundings, you could really spend more time there I think. Don't forget the plantations, and the dining is world class.
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 02:37 PM

Don't know when you plan to visit Savannah but their biggest festival is St. Patrick's day. Some people visit every year for the parade, others avoid it.
Old Jan 10th, 2010, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, palmettoprincess, for the warning. We will be in Savannah on March 27.

Yes, starrs, it is a lot of driving, but I'm used to it by doing four- and five-thousand mile road trips from Seattle to California, Arizona, Utah, Colorado, etc.
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 07:00 AM

I still don't quite "get" why you are going to Jekyll Island, since you are not coming from the south. Stay in Charleston (sorry to repeat!), and go to Savannah for a day.
And just a thought--you may find the driving, even on interstates, different in the East, than the West.
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your concern, Gretchen.

To update, we will drive from Asheville to Charleston. We wanted to stay in Charleston for three nights, but the third night there is an event that has filled rooms, so, that day we will drive to Beaufort, SC, and on to Hilton Head where we will spend the night in a room with a great ocean view. Early the next day, we will drive to Savannah, spend the night there, and return to Atlanta the next day. We fly home the dav after than.

What do you think of that?
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 02:11 AM

Better than including Jekyll, to me. ANd I really think you will enjoy the time in Charleston.
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 05:27 AM

Ah Ha! the Bridge Run....some 40,000 people planning to run the bridge over the Cooper River. Indeed, it is tough to get a room that weekend, but I'm surprised there's nothing already. Sounds like a fun trip and I would expect pretty sweet weather by then.
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 07:33 AM

In December we did this trip (minus Jekyll Island). We stayed 2 nights in Asheville, 2 nights in Charleston and 3 nights in Savannah. Please note that we have been to Charleston 2X before this - so that is why we spent more time in Savannah. We loved every part of the trip - I think you may enjoy two nights in Savannah rather than one - there is so much atmosphere to soak up there!
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your help. I have now booked Asheville for two nights, Charleston for three nights, and Savannah for two nights.

HTTY
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 06:44 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
That sounds like a great plan.
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 10:17 PM

I'd say spend the entire seven nights in Savannah, where there is much to see and do (and you won't even have time for all of that), and the seeing/doing/dining/shopping are amazing.
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 03:36 AM

Like the new plan. That is plenty of time in Savannah. Charleston has a bit more available, but it is nice to spread it out, and particularly since you are also going to Beaufort. If you haven't, DO read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil!!! It will set the stage nicely.
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 12:26 AM

The Savannah Music Festival begins March 18 and is such a rich, cultural adventure. Aside from the musical feast, enjoyed in the historical venues of museums, churches, Golden era theatres Savannah is March is a vision of nature, especially in the historic district. I'd recommend Savannah for a minimum of 2 days, with a day trip to Charleston or 2 days also in Charleston, as you planned. Savannah's food, art galleries (over 60), new things to see and do (Johnny Mercer's life-size statue), new Ellis Square, modern "Old Fort" in Forsyth Park, strolling on Tybee Beach (where Sandra Bullock has a home), the boutique shops, streetside cafes, and the food (oh my! the food)! Try Alligator Soul's fine dining (www.alligatorsoul.com), with a new less than $10 lunch menu, or if you're in town on Sunday the Aqua Star (inside the Westin) has an unbelievably superb lunch buffet and excellent jazz. To lodge at one of the historic inns -- such as Green Palm Inn (www.greenpalminn.com), Presidents' Quarters Inn (www.presidentsquarters.com) or Azalea Inn and Gardens (www.azaleainn.com) -- is to nestle into the character of Savannah itself. The innkeepers are so devoted to traveler's enjoying all that is wonderful about Savannah. The joy of Savannah is the moseying about to explore the little niches, the secret gardens, and the Savannah Music Festival offers this same type of social-meets-the-arts appeal.
Old Jan 18th, 2010, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Tarasbrats, Thank you for your suggestions about what to do in Savannah and for alerting me about the music festival. You have whetted my appetite for our visit there. HTTY
Old Jan 24th, 2010, 03:21 PM

3 days in Charleston and 2 days in Savannah is a good amount of time in both. Well planned, if you ask me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -