Savannah and Charleston trip

Old Oct 15th, 2020, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Savannah and Charleston trip

Hello friends
We are thinking with my wife to spend two or three days in Savannah and we would like if you can recommend a good hotel in the part closest to the places to walk, restaurants, etc ... We are a couple I am 78 years old and my wife 70. I do not know if downtown or historic district or the most appropriate ..We would also go to Charleston for two days which is close. We also have to find out if we can go without quarantining. We are from Miami FL
Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old Oct 20th, 2020, 10:01 AM

Pamlover, it has been many non-covid years since DH and I visited both of these wonderful towns so do double-check for current info. In Charleston, we stayed at a Motel 8 right in the middle of things. It was very inexpensive in the way back when. Great to be in the middle of things.

In Savannah, we were in a waterfront hotel and it was a Hyatt then. We had a car
but i think we walked. More recently, I stayed at this historic inn:
https://ballastone.com
I loved it. It was on a trolley route and I used that if my feet or stamina were bad. I highly recommend the Pink House for dinner.

I hope you are able to do this. Again, do check the most up-to-date info and covid restrictions. Please report back!
Old Oct 21st, 2020, 08:20 PM

Andaz Savannah is in a great location. Perhaps the one the previous poster referred to. We stayed in a suite with an amazing bathroom. The hotel is very nice with a helpful concierge and the trolley service outside. Walkable to many of the well known restaurants and house museums.

In Charleston, we stayed at the French Quarter Inn in a room with a fantastic balcony overlooking a church. Good location for restaurants, historic sites like Fort Sumter, the Slave Mart, and house tours, carriage rides.

Personally, I think Charleston warrants more time than Savannah. We spent 4 nights in Charleston and 3 in Savannah.
Old Oct 22nd, 2020, 03:48 AM

Agree on the time for Charleston
There are SO many new and good places to eat in charleston IF they are open in the time of Covid. The weather in charleston lends itself to being able to eat outside so you might research restaurants with outside patios.
Old Oct 22nd, 2020, 01:17 PM

Savannah Hotel

Savannah. We were there just 4 weeks ago. No quarantine just masks. Stayed at the East Bay Inn. Lovely historic Inn right near the harbor. Original brick wall in room, very clean & close to many restaurants. Old Town Trolley is great for getting around. So much history!

Last edited by darnwright01; Oct 22nd, 2020 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Forgot to say Savannah
Old Oct 26th, 2020, 08:26 PM

We love the Perry Lane Hotel. A local named Erin runs a great blog with so much info!
Sand Sun and Messy Buns is the name of her blog. She is super helpful too!
Old Oct 27th, 2020, 08:47 AM

Hi, I'm from Charleston, maybe I can provide some helpful advice. I would agree with the earlier poster that Charleston might be better for a longer stay than Savannah. Most of the tourists sites in Savannah are located near the riverwalk. This is where you'll find lots of local restaurants, shops and most of the city's garden squares. There are even some squares that are old cemetery and Union troops camped in them. you can see some of the interesting things they altered on some of the grave markers while there. There are a lot of cobblestone streets and many historic steps which are steep and narrow, so walking around can be a bit difficult. For hotels, we love the Bohemian, Hilton Garden Inn, Doubletree and the Alida. All are walking distance to most of the Savannah areas tourists frequent.
Charleston is about an hour and a half north of Savannah. I would recommend staying downtown as it will make most things close enough to walk to. We love the Andrew Pinckney inn, The Mills House, Planters Inn and the Belmond. All are within walking distance of most of the downtown areas and great restaurants. You'll find ample local restaurants on Queen St, East Bay st, Market St and King St. You should try and explore some areas close to downtown like Shem Creek in Mt Pleasant and the Angel Oak in Johns Island.
Hope this helps.
Old Oct 29th, 2020, 03:17 PM

You're welcome to check out my Charleston guide on my travel blog as well. Hopefully it helps!
https://www.thetravelinglocals.com/p...south-carolina
Old Oct 30th, 2020, 07:17 AM

Thanks! Please let me know if you have any questions about the area, happy to help.