Sausalito vs Twin Peaks??

Feb 22nd, 2007, 08:37 PM
Original Poster

Sausalito vs Twin Peaks??

Hi Everyone!! It's my family's first time to San Francisco and we are renting through VRBO. We decided not to get a place right downtown, and instead are torn between two different places...Twin Peaks area of SF or the town right outside SF, Sausalito? We want to be able to go into the city if we want to(preferably without driving) but be able to take day trips all over with our rental car. Which one will allow for both easy access to the city, but a good place to launch from for day trips? If you have any suggestions or advice, that would be great!!! Thank you everyone

Kristin
Feb 22nd, 2007, 10:37 PM

If you choose Sausalito, you'll most likely be getting to and from the city via Ferry. Takes about 25 minutes (about $7/adult-$4/kids). And the ferries don't run late - so dinner probably won't be in the city.

You would be hitting San Francisco at the Ferry Building - so it's very centrally located for touring - Emarcadero is the hub for lots of easy transit.

On the other hand, Twin Peaks while not in the heart of the city, has some excellent views (any more information about where in the Twin Peaks area?). If you've got a car, you can still find free parking in the hills.

And if you don't want to drive the car deeper into the city, you can easily get to transit options like the 37 Corbett bus or some of the muni underground stations (Castro/Church/maybe Forest Hill?)
Feb 23rd, 2007, 01:46 AM

Which area of Twin Peaks? You could also take the Muni from West Portal depending on exactly where the VRBO location actually is.
Feb 23rd, 2007, 08:37 AM

The 37 Corbett or the 33 Ashbury, though not the most frequent runs on Muni, would take you into the Castro/Market Street area for further connections. I love the Upper Market area - full of views and cool architecture. Also, if coming back later in the evening from dinner or such, the intersections of Castro and Market or Castro and 18th Street are acknowledged by S.F. cab drivers as the best place to get a cab any hour of the day.

My hint (one that your waistlines will hate) is to take the 33 Ashbury bus down 18th Street to Guerrero Street. There before you will be Tartine Bakery, Bi-Rite Creamery, Delfina Restaurant and Delfina Pizzeria.
Feb 23rd, 2007, 09:12 AM

If you know addresses, both at Twin Peaks and Sausalito, check out the transportation to make your decision.

For San Francisco, go to the MUNI website and check the map. It has all bus and metro routes in color.

For Sausalito, check out the Golden Gate Transit website, there are buses to different parts of the city, run more often on weekdays, and the Ferry.
Feb 23rd, 2007, 11:22 AM
SAB

Staying in Sausalito could be a lovely experience if the house has a great view, but public transportation is geared more towards getting commuters in and out of SF so you may be fairly restricted. Twin Peaks will have better public transportation options and you could also have an incredible view. So, as everyone has indicated location will make a difference. And you may have to decide whether a great view with restricted transportation is for you.
Feb 23rd, 2007, 12:09 PM

So far nobody has mentioned the summer fog in the Twin Peaks area. We lived just below there in the Noe Valley, and it would be lovely where we were - and fogged-in like crazy when we went up to Safeway or other places around Twin Peaks. Gets windy too.

Stu Dudley
Feb 23rd, 2007, 12:15 PM

I vote for Sausalito. As Stu says the fog in the peaks can be quite heavy. You can take the ferry to the city which is a great way to travel and you can always drive to the city across the GG and park in the avenues then take Muni.

Since you will have a rental car and can drive..stay in Sausalito. Parking will be easier probably as well.

BTW~Check out Tennessee Valley Road which is in Mill Valley and very close to Sausalito. This is part of the GG National Recreation Area. It is a level 1.5 mile walk to the beach and divine. One can see all sorts of wildlife especially close to dusk including bobcats, deer, blue herons and pelicans.
Feb 23rd, 2007, 12:17 PM

Like Stu~I once lived in Noe Valley and he is absolutely right about Twin Peaks. Sometimes it can feel like winter in the dead of summer.
Feb 23rd, 2007, 12:53 PM

Another vote for Sausalito ! I used to live in Mill Valley (which is a hop and a skip from Sausalito) and found it very easy to get in and out of the city
via ferry or auto.
Good for launching day trips all over the Bay Area as well.

Pam mentions Tennessee Valley Road and trail..yes, I agree, it is a splendid walk. If you work up an appetite, have a bite at the nearby Dipsea Cafe on
Shoreline Hwy.

R5

Feb 23rd, 2007, 01:34 PM
SAB

Since the OP doesn't mention what time of year the family will be visiting, fog may or may not be an issue. If it is summer then Sausalito is definitely a better option.
Feb 23rd, 2007, 01:48 PM

On the other hand, let's say the original poster is renting during late winter/early spring or in October. I'd say the Twin Peaks place would be equally appealing. Driving down the upper stretch of Market these last few days, the City has looked absolutely unreal in the crystal clear post-rain light.

Since there seem to be some SF old-timers on this post, let me ask if you have ever seen this: Fog coming over Twin Peaks hitting the sun-warmed late afternoon air on the upper reaches of Diamond or Douglas streets. The result is an effect that looks roiling or boiling in midair. Spooky-cool.
Feb 23rd, 2007, 03:05 PM

sigh..I also lived for 11 years in the Inner Richmond and felt the beauty and the chill of October there. October anywhere is divine-particularly in SF. Given OP said "family" I thought children and school schedule.

So..Jeter2Kris..when is the vacance?
Feb 23rd, 2007, 03:20 PM

>>Diamond or Douglas streets. The result is an effect that looks roiling or boiling in midair. Spooky-<<

We lived at 428 Jersey St - directly across from the library & 1/2 block from Diamond. I remembver all likds of fog stuff - especially the afternoon Noe Valley wind which whips through the fog up on Twin Peaks, and cools the temps down about 30 degrees - wind-chill is wise. Once, I walked down to Buds, picked up a hot fug sundae with a mountain of whipped cream on top. As I walked south on Castro & turned right onto Jersey, the wind blew the whipped cream topping off the sundae & into my face. My wife still talks about this.

Stu Dudley

Search this Thread