Reload this Page >

San Francisco Public Transit & Sightseeing Question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 06:19 PM
Bill

Will be visiting San Francisco this Autumn. I have heard the parking in San Francisco is not great so I was hoping to use public transportation. I am hoping to use BART from the east into the city. However, once in the city I was planning on seeing the Golden Gate Bridge and Fisherman's Wharf. Which BART station in downtown San Francisco is best for connecting up with the San Francisco Muni Transit to get to the Golden Gate Bridge? Which bus or trolley line will get me to the bridge the easiest from downtown and back? Thanks.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 07:15 PM
Betsy

Hope this helps, Bill. You're smart to use public transportation in SF.

http://www.bart.gov/index.asp

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 08:45 PM
Donna

Go to http://www.sfmuni.com/maps/indxmaps.htm
where you can download magnificent maps! Perfect for planning ahead. You can print the areas you need, fold up and stick in your pocket while out and about. The maps have ALL the streets and lines (be sure to print the legend, so you'll know trolleys, from buses, from the metro, from buses, from streetcars, etc. I recommend taking one route out and another back for the scenery all along the way. From Fisherman's Wharf, try to catch one of the vintage streetcars than goes around Embarcadero to Market Street. Awesome! Note that in SF, even though a schedule may indicate a line runs every 20 minutes, often they are much farther apart (then one after another after another turns up). So, be sure to allow plenty of time. I go with my husband on business. We stay in Concord. Every day, I take the BART into the city and go all over on the public transportation. Never had a problem. If you get off BART at Powell, the visitor's center is right across from the exit. Here, you can pick up all sorts of literature (there's additional literature in the mall as well) along with a foldup map of MUNI (handy to have in case you decide to wander off the maps you've printed).

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 03:39 AM
Bill

Thanks for the advice. I have checked out both websites mentioned, but I needed to get an idea from those who have actually used the public transportation as to its convenience. I especially like the idea of taking 2 routes. Any advice on which routes to and from the Golden Gate Bridge are especially scenic and full of San Francisco character?

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 09:53 AM
Faina

Bill, when you come here make sure you buy a MUNI map - it's the only one which has all bus routes in color and easy to understand. I beleive you can order it online from MUNI website.

The easiest way to go to Fisherman's is from Embarcadero to take Line F historic trolley.

On Sunday you can take bus 76 - I beleive from Montgomery station. This is the only bus with direct connection BART-bridge. Runs ONLY on Sundays.

Otherwise bus 2 from Embarcadero and change to 28 or 29 - ask the driver. Also bus 2 to the Legion of Honor if you like art.

Ferry from Embarcadero will take you to Sausalito, and you can come back by Golden Gate transit bus - it goes over the bridge, buses run daily.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 05:25 PM
Bill

Thank you Faina. That was the info I was looking for. I have ordered a visitor guide from the San Francisco Visitor Bureau that will contain a Muni Map.

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 05:23 AM
scott

I would like to go to Six Flags Park from S.F.. I have heard that one can take a ferry there.
Where would I catch the ferry from?

One last question, going to Alcatratz: would the nite tour be fun for an eight year old? Where can I catch the ferry from to Alcatratz?

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 02:55 PM
kam

I think the day tour might be better for an 8 year old. The beauty of the night tour is looking back to the lights of the city. Buy tickets ahead at (415) 705-5550 and pick them up at "WILL CALL", otherwise expect disappointments. Plan to go between 11 am and 2 pm so the fog won't interfere with your views back to the city. The Alcatraz tours leave from Pier 39 on the Blue and Gold fleet.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 03:17 PM
Faina

Scott, not sure abut ferry to Vallejo - this is where six flags is - try "Golden Gate transit" website - and check out their ferries.

You mean Six Flags Marine World, not Great America, right?