Search

Sausalito Question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2008, 09:13 AM
yk
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sausalito Question

I'm considering taking the commuter ferry from San Francisco (Ferry Building) to Sausalito, and back. If the weather is nice, I assume it rather scenic?

We plan to do it this Saturday, so we first will visit the Farmers Market around 8ish, then take the 10:40am ferry to Sausalito. If we buy some sandwiches/picnic items at the Ferry Building, is there any place in Sausalito where we can have an outdoor picnic (preferrably a bench or picnic table as I'm not packing a picnic blanket with me!)?

The ferry will arrive at 11:10am, and I plan to take the return ferry at 12:45pm. Is that enough time to walk around, eat etc?
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 09:24 AM

There are lots of benches directly on the waterfront just south of Scomas restauant.

I would take a later ferry. 1 1/2 hrs to get off & on a ferry you are unfamiliar with, and then find a spot for lunch, and wander around the village a bit, doesn't seem like enough time. There are some pretty tacky shops in Sausalito - but if you poke your nose into some shops - I think 1 1/2 hrs will not be enough time.

Stu Dudley
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 10:39 AM

There are benches along the "water promenade", no tables, and you'll be sitting close to people passing by.

Is there enough time to have picnic on the ferry, and just explore Sausalito? Don't remember how long is the ride.
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 10:49 AM
yk
Original Poster

The ride is 30 minutes. That's a good idea, Faina. Are there tables on the ferry where we can have a picnic? Or is eating even allowed on the ferry?

We can't stay any longer as we have plans to meet up with my relatives in the early afternoon.

It looks like there's a Sausalito Art Festival this weekend (Labor Day weekend), but the admission is pretty steep. I guess it'll be crowded. I'm pretty sure we'll be happy enough to stroll around for an hour or so.
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 11:05 AM

I think there is eating area on the ferry, but don't remember.
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 11:14 AM

I "paged" LoveItaly, she knows about ferries.
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 11:23 AM

Reporting, lol. Hi Faina!

And hello yk, it has been so long ago since I have been on the Sausalito ferry I don't remember if there are tables or not. It seems to me we always had a glass of wine however as we weren't driving of course.

I have never had a picnic in Sausalito so never paid attention if there were picnic tables and benches. We always had lunch at one of the restaurants. But Stu posted there are benches so hopefully that will work for you.

Personally unless the SFBay is real calm yk if I tried to eat while on the ferry I would probably have half of my lunch in my lap, lol.

I do agree with Stu that unless due to your schedule it is impossible I would allow more time in Sausalito.

I am sorry I am not more help. Wishing you a wonderful trip.
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 11:38 AM

Here's what we did this past spring. We went to Ferry Building, bought tickets for the commuter ferry and then while waiting for it, we went into the market in Ferry Building and bought lunch. We ate our lunch just outside where there are picnic tables.

We went onto the ferry, sailed over to Sausalito and then strolled around town for a while. We bought an ice cream cone and sat on a bench overlooking the bay. We then walked back to ferry landing and sailed back to SF.

We were in Sausalito about 2 hours top. IT is pretty to walk along the bay and look in a few shops, but we aren't shoppers so it was plenty of time. The ride on the ferry was delightful.

Deb
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 11:49 AM
yk
Original Poster

Thank you for all your responses!

Since our outbound ferry is at 10:40am, we won't eat at that time anyway. We can decide if we want to eat at Sausalito or on the return ferry ride.

If we don't take the 12:45pm back, the next one isn't until 2:10pm, which is too late for us.

We are not shoppers (except window shopping), so based on what Deb is saying, I think that should be enough. I'm more interested in the ferry ride for the views.

Am I correct to assume that we should sit on the Left side of the ferry on the way there, and Right side of the ferry on the way back?

We will go to Muir Woods a few days later, so we can always return to Sausalito if we want to.
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 11:55 AM

Sit on the right side, top for views of Alctracz. You can actually sit sort of in the middle of the top deck and have great views.

You can get up and move around, so you aren't restricted as to where you sit.

And I think you can eat on a bench in Sausalito with no problem. Yes, people will walk by, but that isn't a problem. There was a park like area when you get off the ferry in Sausalito, I am pretty sure there were benches there. IF not, when you come off ferry, turn left, and head down the main street. Continue past all the shops and there will be benches where you can eat. Most visitors don't go beyond the last restaurant and area where the guys stacks the rock sculptures.

Don't try to eat in a restaurant in Sausalito, you will never make it in your time frame.

Deb
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 12:23 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Just to confuse you a bit - I personally would take the ferry to Tiburon instead of Sausalito, and then hop over to Angel Island to explore and have my picnic.

Sausalito is a very nice destination - but Angel Island is unique and has the most amazing views.
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 12:39 PM

Hi yk,
Here's the GG Ferry schedule for this Labor Day weekend -
they have added additional departures/returns due to the Art Festival.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/637v2t

Do know you will have lots of company on the ferry because of the Art Festival, Labor Day & the great weather we experience this time of year -
so it is wise to buy your tickets
early in SF (or even on-line).

Should be a beautiful weekend weather wise here in the Bay Area !

R5
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 12:53 PM
yk
Original Poster

R5-

Thank you so much!

I have looked at the Golden Gate Ferry website at least 10 times, and the Sausalito Art Festival website 5-6 times. I kept thinking perhaps there are added service for the ferry but I never found it. I guess it's hidden under "News and Events".

Looks like we can take an earlier ferry (10:15am) to Sausalito; that will give us a full 2 hours there.

I couldn't believe the weather forcast for the next week. Chance of precipitation is 0% for the next many days! Okay, maybe I just jinxed myself. Looking forward to visiting the Bay Area!
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 01:24 PM
syd

I was able to go to the Sausalito Arts Fest a few years ago, and thought it was wonderful. I especially enjoyed buying champagne by the glass there. Nice way to wonder through and arts fest. Great art too!

Otherwise, the best thing about Sausalito is the view.
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 01:31 PM

yk,

This the best time of year to be here weatherwise, now to mid-end Oct. Then, in Nov., you'll see all of us ranting about rain, LOL!

Have a fine time !

R5
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 01:38 PM
SAB

yk, it's not rain we think about in SF at this time of year, it's fog and that is not in the forecast right now.
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 03:20 PM

>>Chance of precipitation is 0% for the next many days!<<

We have not had any significent rain since about Feburary. Zero rain in the summer is normal. Like SAB stated - it's the FOG. Minor heat wave going on now - hope it lasts.

Stu Dudley
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 04:40 PM

If you decide you still want to have a picnic in Sausalito, head to the right when you get off the Ferry . There is a little park right on the water with picnic tables. enjoy.
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 11:01 PM

Right now, the weather forecast is for fog on Saturday. The best days for being on the Bay will be Thursday and Friday. I'd skip Sausalito unless the weather gods are wrong. Indoor activities may be best for this weekend.

Sausalito anyway is a waste of time unless you are a die hard tourist. Don't spend a whole day there.
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 06:18 AM

I remember many, many times when the City was fogged in - but Sausalito was clear. However, views back to the City might not be that great.

Stu Dudley

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -