Reload this Page >

Satellite Photo of earth

Search

Satellite Photo of earth

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16th, 2000, 06:19 PM
CMcDaniel

Satellite Photo of earth

Only remotely travel connected, but check out this link for a fantastic satellite photo of earth. It takes a while to load and be sure to use the scroll bars to view all the countries. It's pretty amazing. In FL, where we now live, I can easily pick out Tampa, Orlando and Jacksonville. The SE FL coast is one big light. In Texas, my former stomping grounds, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, even Austin and Waco stand out clearly to anyone familiar with the layout of the state. Bermuda hangs out in the Atlantic like a shining beacon. Fun to see how your little space appears to the satellite!
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ima...s_dmsp_big.jpg

Enjoy!

Old Dec 17th, 2000, 04:56 AM
Cass

This is a stunning image, and I think entirely travel related. The point of this forum, it seems to me, is to see where you are, where you've been, where you might go, and to relate to people elsewhere. What strikes me is how thoroughly we human creatures have now covered the earth.

Anyone know what that light at the far north of Canada is?

Old Dec 17th, 2000, 06:23 AM
penny

Thanks-Wow, what a great view. I love seeing Bermuda out all alone!

Old Dec 17th, 2000, 08:36 AM
JoAnn

What a great view of the earth! Thanks for sharing. Cass--there are few 'far north lights in Canada--one far, far north HAS to be the North Pole where Santa is working now-Right? One north in Alaska-very bright must be Prudhoe Bay, hopefully finding new cheaper oil

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 04:25 AM
Sandi

Not to quibble too much with an absolutely beautiful thing, but does it seem to anyone else that some of the lights seem to string right along highways/interstates? I can't believe a satellite camera would pick them up so sensitively and not other things, so what's the explanation. Also, how come the coasts of some areas seem to be lit up as if they were outlined by a mapmaker? Just curious -- still grateful for the post.

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 09:01 AM
Gail

Great site!

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 09:18 AM
L

CMcD - very interesting satellite shot - and if you know more, would live to know. Bermuda sits out that shining, as you describe. I can see BA, and the Cape Verde Islands (like a triangle) off the west coast of Africa (specifically Ilha do Sal - refuleing next year) where it bulges west in its upper half. Wonderful images. Do you suppose Santa will view it the same way on his way in? This might even be seen as a picture of hope for the season. Grazie, e ciao.

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 03:14 PM
SharonM

Hello CMcDaniel,

Here's a site I've had on my "favorites" list for awhile. Don't know if it's the same as the site you suggest, but you might want to check it out too!

Aren't they cool! It kind of brings everything into perspective, doesn't it?

Anyway... http://www.fourmilab.ch/earthview/satellite.html

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 03:22 PM
SharonM

wow!

Just checked out your photo, Mc! That's neat.

Now you MUST check out the site I just mentioned! It has current satellite cams for all over the world...you can pick a spot and zoom...It shows the actually day/light right now, etc.

I think if you venture further into the site, it even has current weather cams...

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 05:44 PM
Joe

Thanks CMcDaniel and SharonM! Two great sites!

Old Dec 19th, 2000, 05:04 AM
Pax In Terra

The perfect gift to Fodorites for the season, whatever holiday one is celebrating. Thanks.

Old Dec 19th, 2000, 11:18 AM
Elizabeth

Cass........you asked what that light is at the far north of Canada??? It is our most northern community (pop about 175). There is also a Royal Canadian Mounted Police Detachment there also. Named by the Norwegian explorer, Otto Sverdrup, in the late 1800`s. In Norwegian, the name means PIG FIORD. He thought the sounds the walrus made reminded him of grunting pigs. The name of the communtity is GRISE FIORD. There is even a lodge there where you can book a room, with all meals included. Daylight lasts from May to August........hows that for a travel site?? Happy Holidays from Canada.

Old Dec 19th, 2000, 11:25 AM
L

Did I notice a slight dimming of the lights in the DC area?

Old Dec 19th, 2000, 11:33 AM
CMcDaniel

SharonM, What a great site...really enjoyed the day/night views and bookmarked it to return for more indepth playing when time allows. Thanks!

LC...were you at all surprised at huge expanses of darkness in Africa? You are in for a real adventure! Don't know about Santa's view of things, but the little green men must be mighty curious.

Glad so many of you enjoyed the site. I'm really fascinated by both that and the one Sharon provided.

Old Dec 19th, 2000, 12:13 PM
L

Yes, C, you're right - most of A is dark, still. Conrad would feel at home viewing your satellite photo. But as ones goes south and then look northeastly, from the tip at Cape Town and up the coast of the Indian Ocean, there's illumination along the beaches until a flight reaches Durban. Even further north, where I will be, it becomes dark again - for the reserve at St. Lucia where crocodiles and hippos are protected to grow - to the Phinda where guests live in the trees - and to the Natal for morning and evening drive. You have offered a lovely perspective from there out in the darkness, and personally, that's the first place I'd look for santa's sleigh - assuming you have a list nailed up, cookies placed, and the fire out. Ciao, e arrivedeci to 2000. L

Old Dec 19th, 2000, 12:39 PM
Caitlin

I was really disappointed to just find out (via Amazon) that the book Home Planet, by Kevin Kelly, is out of print (it's not that old). Those who are finding the sattelite images of the planet so interesting should do their bet to get their hands on a copy of this book and take a look. It's an amazing coffee-table size book of photos of the earth taken from space flights, paired with eloquent, beautiful reminscences by astronauts and cosmosnauts of their experiences of seeing the earth from space. The pictures are incredibly interesting, and you can see all kinds of geographical features in amazing colors (there are day and night photos), and the quotes give a whole new perspective on the place we live. Try to find this book.

Old Dec 19th, 2000, 01:03 PM
L

Caitlin - The Air and Space Museum in DC sells books like Home Planet - as does the Nature Store at the MCI Center on 7th Street NW. I just wonder if perhaps they might have the Kelly book in stock. It is a shame that it's out of print so quickly. Good luck, L

Old Dec 19th, 2000, 01:43 PM
Mike

If you like the images from satellites, you might also like aerial views from past years - zoom in on your own street.

http://www.terraserver.microsoft.com

Old Dec 19th, 2000, 01:52 PM
Caitlin

L--Luckily, I have Home Planet. I just wish everyone could check it out!

Old Dec 20th, 2000, 04:46 AM
topper

This should not be lost to below-the-fifty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -