Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Sarasota,Timberwoods Villas? & Mosquitos !

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 11:48 PM
Linda

We are travelling in June/July with young teens to Sarasota area, Has anyoneout there stayed at Timberwoods Villas ?. It looks good on their site, comfortable, big self catering but with a pool, sports facilities etc; but sites can be so deceiving ! Are mosquitos a big problem in this area in Summer? Are US schools on holiday then ? ( hoping for company for ours !)Any other suggestions for accomadation, resort based with sports/activities, min 2 bedroomed, family friendly in Sarasota area? any info greatly appreciated, it's so difficult to get specific details from Ireland !!

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 04:05 AM
Sherry

Linda, mosquitos are not a problem and yes, schools will be out at that time of year. Regarding Timberwoods, well, nothing against that particular property, it is located not far from the large shopping mall, Sarasota Square, but it is on the mainland. Just wondering if I was travelling from Ireland, would I not prefer to be renting something right on the beach? Siesta Key has a beautiful beach, and would certainly be my choice for a family vacation. Most complexes have a pool as well, giving a family a choice of beach or pool time, without the drive! You may have specific reasons for choosing Timberwoods, and if so, I dont want to sway you, but if you arent familiar with the area, or dont have a reason for staying there, I would suggest you consider staying on Siesta Key instead. Then; when you choose to go shopping or eat out, (available on the Key as well) you can drive to the mainland if you wish, which is only 5-10 minutes. Depending on the ages of your children as well, the beach will definitely have more families for them to meet. I just think overall it would be a better/more relaxing experience to be right on the beach rather than driving to it each day, and in that hot weather, you will appreciate the beach I would think. The gulf is like bath water at that time of year, and families spend hours just playing in the water. (To me, just part of the "Florida experience"; its beaches!)Siesta Key has powder white sand; long beautiful beach to stroll on. There are lots of places to rent on Siesta Key, lots of two bedrooms, full kitchens, etc, that accommodate families. All the "snowbirds" will have gone home by then and families have arrived for summer vacations. Just something I wanted to point out, and again, if you have chosen Timberwoods for a specific reason I'm sorry for going off topic. Have a wonderful trip!

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 04:13 AM
Sherry

Linda, I just read your post again and see that your children are young teens. I would definitely suggest the beach area for them. They will make friends on the beach for sure, more and more families are travelling to Siesta Key in the summer time, occupancy rates are going up each summer. And they might be very bored at Timberwoods, hanging out at the pool all day. Siesta Key is a very safe area, the teens tend to stroll around all day, come home to eat, up to the pool, back to the beach etc. Just a thought! Good luck.

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 01:10 AM
linda

Thank you Sherry, we choose timberwoods because they are houses ! Kids are used to lots of space., we couldn't do an apartment ! and can't find houses?bungalows or what we call 'villas' on Siesta Key. any suggestions ? My idea of heaven would be a cold glass of chardonnay as the sun sets looking out over the beach where I can see ( but not hear ! ) the kids having fun in the sea !!!

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 03:41 AM
Sherry

Linda, I would suggest that you contact a rental management company there who may very well have "houses" for rent. Villas are also available, a few types that are of the "townhouse" format. Bedrooms upstairs, main living on the ground floor. These will be pricier than your standard condo style, but many are also beacgfront. Also there are plenty of individual "bungalow house style" villas, all living on one floor, not necessarily large, but not an apartment either. Trust me on this, the kids will never be in the house except to sleep and eat maybe! And being just a stroll from the beach, or better yet, beachfront, would be fabulous! That glass of chardonnay in hand, watching the sunset, is exactly what you could do daily! And not have to drive back to the beach to do it. It is kind of cute to watch actually, sunset time approaches and everyone, and I mean almost EVERYONE, strolling down to the beach, cocktail in hand, settling onto a beach chair to chat with others and watch the sunset. For many, the highlight of the day! Seriously though, contact any of the management companies there, or the resorts themselves directly, lots have email available, and ask what type of accommodation they have. Many will have small individual bungalow "villas". Or a management company could have actually family-sized homes on the key for rent. Most natives try to get out of Sarasota fo the summer months, many go north to the Carolinas! I am sure if you told them what your needs are, they would find something suitable for you. Good luck.