Reload this Page >

Boston/Cape Cod w/ 2yr old

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 07:08 AM
Stephanie

My husband and I want to see Boston and the Cape, and plan on taking our son who is 2. Does this sound crazy, or is it feasible? Is summer a good time? Any suggestions welcome to make the trip a great one.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 07:27 AM
Leslie

Absolutely, and take your son to the Frog Pond in Boston Common to splash around in. The pond is only about 4" deep and everyone takes their shoes off and rolls up their pant legs and splashes around in it. The Frog Pond is across the street from the State House. Boston is a great city for children. Also consider taking your son to the Children's Museum and to the "Make Way for Ducklings" statue in the Public Gardens. If your son is stroller-aged, bring it along.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 07:36 AM
baby

Awright, this is going to sound snide, I know, but posts like this always make me laugh: "We're going to (any place except Disney) with our 2-year-old ..."
1. From experience, I can tell you that taking a 2-year-old anywhere is, at best, trying.
2. Exactly how much entertaining does a 2-year-old require? A night at the opera? Three hours at the Boston Science Museum? Or three Cheerios on a plate? I mean, c'mon, the kid isn't even out of diapers yet.
3. So, go ahead and take the little guy. But, jeez, you oughtta know what to expect.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 07:37 AM
Hugh

If you plan on spending a couple of nights on the cape, may I suggest staying in Wellfleet? Artsy type of town, but not an over the top freak show that P'town can be in the summer. Are you driving, or taking the ferry from Boston?

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 07:39 AM
Joanne

I agree the Children's Museum etc. He might enjoy the Aquarium, too. The penguins are hilarious!

While you're in the Public Garden, be sure to ride on the Swan Boats. Bring a few bread crusts to toss to the ducks.

And be sure to read "Make Way for Ducklings" in advance! There are actually a few "Make Way for Ducklings" tours, but your son's a bit young for them yet.

Bring dry pants for your son. Between the Frog Pond and the temptation to step right into the pond in the Public Garden (well, MY daughter did it!), you'll be glad you did.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 07:42 AM
Joanne

baby, check the original post -- she didn't ask for ways to entertain the child, she said she was going on a vacation, and was planning to take the child. What a post like this is really asking is how to make the vacation interesting for the parents -- i.e., things to do that some of the participants will enjoy and none of them will hate!

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 08:36 AM
baby

So, Joanne, things to do that "none of them will hate." Hmmm. Two-year-olds like almost anything -- for about 5 minutes.

And the question was whether a trip to Boston and the Cape was "feasible" not "tell me things to do that we won't hate."

I stand by my original comment: You want to know whether a trip with a 2-year-old is feasible? No, no trip is, but people do it all the time.

Thanks, Joannne, for your oh-so-profound analysis of the question. I can't imagine how other posters get along without you.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 08:50 AM
xxx3

Sounds like somebody is all cranky from staying up all night with a two-year-old, LOL!

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 08:52 AM
baby

Gee, weroiwer, you just crack yourself up!

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 08:52 AM
gail

I'll try to post a serious response without snipes. Try to pick a hotel with at least refrigerator and microwave - since I live in Boston area, can't tell you much about exact room amenities at various hotels, but hotels could. That way you are not forced to eat in a restaurant 3 meals/day. A Boston Harbor cruise might be fun for all (2-4 hours) - some give historic naratives interesting to perhaps you and husband and the seagulls and some food might keep your son entertained. Since you will be driving with a small kid, you probably want to stay on the closest part of the Cape, unless you can drive at nap time. The Sandwich area is quaint, has gentle beaches suitable for a kid, and, if you take turns staying "home" with your son, some great antique shops. The Cape is generally very kid-friendly, especially in the summer, with a wide range of places to eat, ranging from "nicer than I would take a 2 year old to" to counter/picnic table service with surprisingly decent food. By all means go - our kids have been traveling with us since before they were born (our son went to the Bahamas while I was pregnant with him) and we have always been extremely careful to gear activities to their age, attention span and interest level and considerate of fellow travelers (I have spent many a meal in the walking the restaurant parking lot with a bored kid so as not to disturb others). It won't be the same trip as BC (before children), but you can still engineer it to be positive for all.

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 10:52 AM
Stephanie

Thanks to most everyone for all the great suggestions!

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 05:07 AM
bennie

One hidden jewel in Boston that rarely gets any mention on this board is Castle Island. Its a great park on the tip of South Boston with a fort that dates back to the Revolution. The whole park is surrounded by Boston Harbor and the views are terrific. There is a very small but nice playground there as well as a place to get ice cream. There's a long causeway to take a stroller on and there are always people sailing in the protected area. Often there are live bands playing also. While there is public transportation to there its probably better to drive (plenty of parking). I went there as a child and now I take my kids there whenever possible - it nevers fails to entertain them.

Also no one has mentioned the Swan Boats in the public gardens - right near the make way for ducklings sculpture - great slow ride for toddlers. There is no playground in the Public Garden - Only one across the street in the Commons - near the Frog Pond.

Children's museum and aquarium are also good bets. FAO Shwartz in on Boylston.

One the Cape the beach is the place to be with a two year old. In Hyannis there is a calm beach on Lewis Bay that has a playground, picnic tables under the pine trees and public facilities - I believe its called the Ocean Steet Park. Hyannis is not my favorite place - but that park is nice for kids.

Just remember to take it slow and give your child lots of breaks from the stroller. You'll have a great time.