Sarasota FL-what's to do in late March?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16th, 2007, 02:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Considering a trip to check out the city, but what's it like, really?
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 05:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
It's like retirement.

Attractive beach, the sands of which stay cool in the sun.

Good fishing, spring, summer and fall.

Charming shopping at St Armand's.

Good art collection if you like Rubens.

Some nice casual restaurants.

But, overall, somnolent might be the best description.

Old Dec 16th, 2007, 06:35 AM

Nice city, but getting congested.

Great beach - check out Siesta Key Beach

Nice shopping at St. Armands Circle

Old Dec 16th, 2007, 06:43 AM

Fra Diavolo obiously was not in the same Sarasota I was in, the month of March! And, we are going to return this coming March.

Click on my "name" and it will bring up my trip report, which, hopefully will be helpful to you.

We could not, though we tried, take advantage of all the city had to offer. The Jazz festival, held in March, where there will be jazz artists at different venues in the downtown and Burns Court area; a trolley takes you from one to the next. A jazz concert at the Phillipa State Park, a lovely place to hear some very good artists(bring your own chair). A concert at the Van Wetzel, the theatre which has many of the traveling Broadway productions.

Theatre abounds- actors equity with some very compelling productions, a magnificient library, with some very varied programs/lectures. The Marie Selby Gardens, where in March the annual Orchid auction takes place- The Ringling Mansion and Art Museum-too fascinating to be seen all in one day.

Restaurants- qwe found some spectactular ones. I'm not talking about the early-bird specials here, but rather some very interesting ethnic and inovative restaurants in the downtown area, as well as the Towles Court and Burns court area.

It is a city. It has the amenities of a city- not N.Y.C. or Boston, of course,but with much to offer,or you can sit on one of the Key's on the beach all day, if thats what you desire. I suggest you go to Sarasota .org, and het on their mailing list!
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 06:50 AM
Cassandra

Much more there that people are telling you.

The beaches are lovely -- my favorite is South Lido, not for the swimming (you usually can't swim there because of the riptides) but because there are a couple of really nice forest walks among the mangroves, etc.). Longboat Key has the longest stretch of seaside hotels/resorts. Siesta Beach's sand is very nice but can be crowded (esp. with Spring Breakers) and smelling like hotdogs with an offshore breeze.)

Ringling is far more than a collection of Baroque art -- the building itself will remind you of an Italian palazzo wrapped around a lovely gardened courtyard. The Ringling Residence (Ca d'Zan) is interesting -- weird combination of Doges Palace architecture and circus motifs) -- and sipping a lemonade on the stone veranda overlooking the bay provides a charming interlude. The rest of the grounds (rose garden, bamboo, banyans ) are a lovely walk, and the new on-premises restaurant is getting a good reputation. Nearby is the Asolo Theater, which usually has 3 or more repertory plays running.

Then there are Selby Gardens, the Mote Marine research labs/aquarium (sharks!), Van Wezel (which brings in Broadway and big name concerts) on top of the fishing, shopping, and sunworshipping, if you must.

And don't forget spring training for the Cincy Reds (P'burgh Pirates in nearby Bradenton).

No, it's not South Beach/Miami or Orlando. Which some of us much prefer. I also actually kind of like being younger than a chunk of the population and you learn which are the "Early Bird" magnet restaurants; but in downtown area, the restaurants are more frequented by mid-career professionals, and the Longboat crowd tend to be those on vacation.

Old Dec 16th, 2007, 11:42 AM

Pretty lively arts scene -- lots of galleries, opera and ballet company, several good professional theatre companies -- including the Asolo in repertory. The Ringling home is interesting as is the circus museum and the art museum there.
Unless you're staying a couple of months, you certainly shouldn't run out of things to do -- but no, it's not wild with "twenties or thirties something nightclubs".
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 03:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Well, I may be a little jaded. My parents retired there almost twenty years ago and I've visited once or twice a year since. I feel I've long exhausted her undeniable charms.
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 04:35 PM

I think everyone forgot to mention the excellent golf, the Polo Club and the yearly Sarasota Film Festival. This might be the last year for the Reds in Sarasota.
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 05:43 PM

I was going to mention the film festival, but it takes place in mid to late April. The poster was asking about late March.
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 04:45 PM

True, but I was just adding to others' posts about the happenings of the Sarasota area.