sarasota engagement - need help

Jul 30th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

sarasota engagement - need help

will be in sarasota end of oct/early nov. looking for special ideas, venues, etc. to make a proposal special. open to all suggestions!
Jul 30th, 2009, 09:53 AM

We live in Sarasota in the winters and just love that area. There are so many places to propose but here are just a few. There is a marina called "Marina Jack's" where they have boat that you can take for a sunset cruise or a dinner sunset cruise which would be nice. There is also a great beach called "Siesta Key Beach" where the sand is just beautiful - you could go out there in the evening to watch the sunset and propose there. In fact, on Valentine's day every year they have renewal of wedding vows on this very beach. Good luck with your future as husband and wife.
Jul 30th, 2009, 10:10 AM

Was going to suggest Marina Jack's for a sunset cruise or the park right near there on the water. Siesta Key would also work.
Jul 30th, 2009, 11:01 AM

We live in Sarasota, in fact we live right across the street from Marina Jack and the Sarasota Bayfront Island Park.

Marina Jack - nice location, nice atmosphere, not so good food. As tempting as it may be because of the wonderful bay views and the outdoor sitting, I would not use it to get engaged. http://www.marinajacks.com/

Sarasota Island Park - right next to and across the marina. Very nice, small park with a water fountain at the end tip of the park. It can be romantic under the right circumstances so it is a possibility.

Just before you "enter" the park (not really, it's almost a part of the park) there is O'Leary's Tiki Bar. Typical tropical tiki bar with many locals and tourists hanging out. Right next to the water, friendly staff, usually some kind of island music being played by a local version of Jimmy Buffet.

LeBarge - a VERY touristy, gaudy looking boat cruise that departs from the marina about 3-4 times a day. One of the cruises is a sunset cruise. You will be sharing the boat with about 100 strangers.

Now, I want you to understand that that's just MHO, but without knowing what you are looking for I wanted to point out the reality of the Sarasota Bayfront. It is a beautiful view, especially from our balcony , but it's really not that romantic unless you want to be surrounded by total strangers and not much romance.

Siesta Key Beach - Sunset would be ideal. There is a little stretch of beach just couple of blocks from the Siesta Village. It is still called dog beach because at one time dogs were allowed but no more but that's where many tourists and some locals show up to watch the sunset. Don't get me wrong, you can watch the sunset from just about any part of the island as the beaches are public and there is an access to the beaches about every few blocks, but that one point seems to be the favorite for tourists, lovers and locals alike, yet not very crowded. Plus you are within walking distance to the village where perhaps you can have a pre/post dinner at one of my favorite restaurants in town, JoTo's. It's 3 restaurants in one. Sushi Bar, if that's your thing, regular Japanese menu sitdown area and finally Teppan-Yaki. Whatever you chose, I can guarantee you will love it. Great service, beautiful place, wonderful food.

In order to help you more, I would like to know what you are looking for? Are you bringing family/friends with you? Would you prefer private or public?

Perhaps a captained sunset sailboat cruise just by yourselves or a small group of family and friends? A very nice restaurant? A secluded, quiet spot?

Congratulations and good luck!

Reporting from San Antonio, heading out to Austin...
Aug 6th, 2009, 04:17 AM
Original Poster

thanks everyone!