sarasota area highlights

Feb 15th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

sarasota area highlights

We are visiting the Sarasota area for 10 days starting feb 24th. What are some nice areas to see there? Interesting activities for an older couple to enjoy. We have a lot of restaurant suggestions, are looking for sightseeing, drives, nearby towns, areas of interest.
Feb 15th, 2010, 07:04 PM

The Ringling campus is the first thing that comes to my mind: manicured grounds, an art museum, a mansion to tour, and a miniature circus display, all well worth the visit.
Feb 17th, 2010, 04:05 AM

St. Armands Circle for great outdoor dining! Great shopping and just strolling. You can take walks along the beach. Sarasota has beautiful beaches. The sand is so white and clean.
Feb 17th, 2010, 05:14 AM

Myakka River State Park offers boat tours and an overland ride to explore the flora and fauna. http://www.myakkariver.org/
Feb 17th, 2010, 05:23 AM

I really enjoy the Mote Aquarium. Agree with the other 2 posts as well.
Feb 17th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

It all sounds great. I was thinking of renting a boat. would there be interesting waters to explore inland, not the oopen ocean.
Feb 17th, 2010, 02:38 PM

I love the public beach at Siesta Key. You can get your daily exercise in walking from one end to the other.

Not far from there, you can rent a motorboat and cruise along the inland waterway down to Venice and up to the northern end of Siesta Key. It's a great way to spend the day and there are a few restaurants along the way that you can dock at for lunch.

I agree that Myakka, Mote, St. Armands and the Ringling Museum (especially the Ca d'Zan) would be worth adding to your itinerary. You might enjoy the Selby Botanical Gardens, too.
Feb 17th, 2010, 02:48 PM

You can rent runabouts at Mr CB's, which I think is what the previous poster is referring to. http://www.cbsoutfitters.com/ They are just a few minutes' drive from Siesta Key. There are other outfits, too, just run a search. There are also kayak rentals and tours available from a few places.
Feb 17th, 2010, 02:50 PM

Ooh, on my recommendations have already been given. Our favorite by far, is the beach at Siesta Key. We have also enjoyed the Selby Gardens, St. Armand's Key, Myakka, the Ringling Museums and visiting the nearby spring training venues.
Feb 17th, 2010, 04:06 PM

If you go to Mote Aquarium be sure to go on an Eco-Boat Tour. And if you're into art take a trip to St. Petersburg to check out the Salvador Dali museum.
Feb 23rd, 2010, 03:37 PM

Will second the Ringling Museum of Art -- enjoyed it. There's also an antique car museum close by here that's very good, the Sarasota Classic Car Museum. Went to the Sarasota Jungle Gardens years and years ago, and liked it then. The Selby Botanical Gardens is supposed to be very nice, but haven't been.

And yes, St. Armand's Key is a must for shopping and restaurants.

Frommer's lists some other options in Sarasota and nearby Bradenton I haven't been to here:

http://www.frommers.com/destinations...5_indattr.html
Feb 23rd, 2010, 03:49 PM

Oh yeah, the Sarasota Jungle Gardens are great - you can hand feed flamingos!
Feb 23rd, 2010, 05:06 PM

Theatre? The Asolo at the Ringling Museum is the state theatre of Florida and one of the top repertory companies in the country. Several plays to choose from in three different theatres -- matinees or evenings.

There is also a decent opera company, ballet company, and a dinner theatre, national tours and concerts, and several smaller theatres as well.